Chrome book

Discussion in 'General Education' started by stacey19, Aug 6, 2013.

1. stacey19

stacey19 Rookie

Aug 6, 2013

Anyone use these with their students? We will have these for our kids, haven't had the chance to check one out yet, so trying to figure out how to use this technology in the classroom.

3. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Aug 6, 2013

A chromebook is basically a laptop that only has one program on it. The chrome web browser(exactly the same as you can use on windows). Instead of having word, excell, powerpoint, ect you can use google docs for those functions.

I bought one for myself as a secondary device when I'm not at home. I didn't need an expensive laptop and this fill the need fine. With students you can pretty much do anything as long as its web based.

4. Global Teacher

Global Teacher Companion

Aug 7, 2013

Good luck getting them to focus on anything but their favorite web pages and games. It's bad enough to allow students to bring these distractions with them into the building. Sanctioning their use by finding educational purposes for them will be deadly.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 7, 2013

Sorry for the hijack ... but, I disagree.
    All of my students have laptops (not Chromebooks but tablet laptops). There is a handful of students who initially have an issue with staying away from games/distracting websites. But, through a combo of expectations and consequences, they learn that class time isn't game time.

6. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Aug 7, 2013

All the students at my new school will have chrome books. We are using a ton of google apps this year. Students will do all papers on google docs and then share then with me. I can then edit, comment etc and they can see it. If basically has word, excel, and powerpoint.... just a google version of them, and it is all based on the internet so they can access it anywhere.

I also created my class websites on there, posted my syllabus etc.

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 7, 2013

Don't forget GoogleForms ... lots of uses with GoogleForms! A google search of "Googleforms for teachers" will get you started. I use them all the time!

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 7, 2013

Can you load your files from another computer onto Chromebook? I went to purchase one from Best Buy and the salesman talked me out of it saying that it was 'limited'.

9. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Aug 7, 2013

Upsadaisy, you can use files from your other computers. You can transfer them with a usb drive, external hard drive, or you can upload them to google docs and access them that way. The chromebook can do pretty much anything except download traditional windows program(office, photoshop,ect). All it can do is what is accessible from the internet. Which of course is just about everything.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 7, 2013

Yes, I suspected that the salesman wanted to sell me something more costly. I would like to get another laptop for a backup and Chromebook would be a reasonable way to go, then. I don't use Word anyway, instead use Open Office.

This might be a dumb question, but how can I upload all my data files at once, rather than individually?

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 7, 2013

I would get a google account, open up drive, and just drag an entire folder into it if you want.

That said, I have a class set of Chromebooks and have had a lot of experience with them. The salesman was correct in stating that they ARE limited.

You cannot install software on a Chromebook. Anything that you would install on a Windows machine or a Mac machine, you cannot install on a Chromebook. It may not be able to open up a wide variety of file extensions that require a program to open it.

That said, there is a much better ability to access most of the services and programs you use on a regular computer on the web, albeit with some compromises to be made. If there is a specific program you really enjoy using on Windows or Mac, you will probably not be able to find that same program in the Google App Store (which is where you would find the majority of the applications you would use).

You may be able to find ones that are similar. For instance, you can use Pixlr instead of Photoshop to edit photos. You also have to be sure you enjoy using Google Docs. They are usually much more limited than the regular Microsoft Office Suites, but if you don't use a lot of the extra features Word or Powerpoint has, it should work fine. Many times you can find a work around.

Google also tends to not be the greatest at Customer Support. They just have too many services that they are running and creating all the time. Usually the best you can do is send an email or post to a message board and hope another user can help you, because there is rarely someone from Google actually monitoring the board.

That all said, Chromebooks are wonderful, cheap little machines, that work great if you fully embrace the entire Google architecture. They're especially great for schools (they have a great easy to use administrative interface that allows me to control who gets to log on, whether or not they can install things, etc.). But I did want to give you a realistic idea of what it really is. Google also has a habit of starting things and if they don't get popular enough, dumping them (like Reader and Latitude), but these are services. Don't know if they'll do the same with hardware.