Christmas Wish List!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherNY, Dec 6, 2019.

1. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 6, 2019

What's on your wish list for Christmas this year? Either for you or your classroom.

I'd like a new Fitbit, some wireless earbuds and some gift cards.

For my classroom I'd love some craft supplies.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2019

Books, books, books...

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 6, 2019

I'm coveting a Keurig espresso machine that does hot or cold foam. I'm recently diagnosed with diabetes, and it would be so much better for me to make my own lattes at home with reduced-sugar milk. Having the Keurig machine that does it would still let me use my reduced-sugar hot chocolate K-cups that help with craving at night without having to have two machines on the counter.

I also have new dishes and silverware on my list. Ours are 10 years old, and were cheap when we got them. Most are chipped or rusty, or have paint or stains or something on them.

I also have sheet sets on my list, because we are super hard on sheets, usually waking up with 2 people, 3 dogs, and 2 cats in our bed.

I always love gift cards, but really my family is great at shopping.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 6, 2019

I'm currently drowning in books due to lots of book signings I've been to, a book convention, and also winning some in giveaways. I need at least 4 more bookshelves LOL

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2019

Me too! I have more books on my e-reader than I'll be able to read in my lifetime.That doesn't stop me, though!

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 6, 2019

I have 2 Kindles and a Nook. I'm terrible!

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 6, 2019

I haven’t been able to think of anything. I suppose that’s a good problem to have when you don’t really need anything.

I got a smart watch in the fall. I got a new car in October. We bought a few things online for Black Friday. We are just going to do stocking stuffers, I think.

9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Dec 6, 2019

My personal Christmas shopping list:

Oculus Quest All-In-One VR (128 GB) - $499
    Segway Ninebot S-Plus - $779
    iPad Air (Gold) - $499
    Medical Breakthrough 6 V4 Massage Chair - $6,999

I can’t wait for Christmas to come around, haha!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Tired Teacher likes this.
  10. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Dec 7, 2019

I hope you have behaved this year and Santa kept track. :) I just bought my own wish list item last weekend. It is a huge, soft, high heat electric blanket. Considering the temps dipping below 0, I needed it. I couldn't have waited until Christmas to get it. My old 1 broke.

11. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Dec 7, 2019

Movies, books, either the Echo Show 5 or the Google Nest Hub, gift cards.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 7, 2019

I bought myself an Alexa Auto on Cyber Monday.

13. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Dec 7, 2019

I, too, recently bought a heated blanket and I can’t live without it now, haha!

And I’ve been very nice! My chair will literally arrive the day of Christmas. Can’t wait!

14. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Dec 7, 2019

Nice! Do you like it?

15. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2019

My Christmas wish list is not so much about what I want for myself, but wishes I have for some of my friends here in the forum. For some I wish better health, others I wish far less pain, some I have fingers crossed for 2020 bundles of joy. Others would like new jobs, perhaps with new credentials, and some definitely need a job closer to home. Many are not completely happy with the position they are in, for whatever reason, and I would wish them the good fortune to luck into the position of their "dreams". My only caution would be that some dreams turn out to be nightmares, but that is a different column. I wish every teacher, teacher aide, and para to enjoy every single minute of the winter break, so that the new year starts with a fresh attitude and high hopes.

You are my teacher family, and I wish the best for each and every one of you.

creativemonster, bella84, a2z and 3 others like this.
  16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 7, 2019

I enjoy the devices I have at home, so I think I’ll like it. I can control my phone calls and texts already, but this allows me to play music and control devices at home. So far all I’ve done has been to listen to the radio show I listen to in the morning when I’m getting ready for work.

17. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Dec 8, 2019

Haha, love it! I think I may get one, as well.

18. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Dec 15, 2019

My Christmas wish list? That's a hard one for me.

This will be the first time in my entire life (56 Christmases) that I haven't spent Christmas with my Dad. We never missed spending a Christmas together, not even once. He passed in June.

Since I just moved, and I've been very sick and am just now recovering, I'll be completely by myself this Christmas. I'm not well enough to even consider traveling anyplace, so I guess I'm just going to pretend it is any other day.

So my Christmas wish this year is for a better year next year, full of new friendships, new experiences, and a full recovery.

Those of you who still have family -- love them like there is no tomorrow -- because one day, they won't be there anymore. I have so many wonderful memories to cherish.

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 15, 2019

I’m sorry you’ll have a rough Christmas. Hopefully you can be comforted by memories and make some new ones in your new home.

I’m so very thankful to have my mom again this year. She was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in fall 2017, and they weren’t sure she would see that Christmas. Things sure change when people are gone.

20. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Dec 15, 2019

I agree. They never are the same. I had my last Christmas with my Mom in 2007. She died shortly before Christmas 2008 from Stage 4 cancer. That was a tough Christmas, but my Dad and I had each other, and we managed to get through.

I know that by next Christmas, I'll have established new support systems here in my new state, but with being new here, and having been so sick (and in and out of the hospital) that just didn't happen for this year.

The good new is that about 2 weeks ago, the moving van arrived with all my stuff. I worked hard those first few days, unpacking, but then I got sick again and ended up back in the hospital. But I'm on the mend again. There are so many boxes, and so many memories still left to unbox. Every box I unpack seems to be filled with memories of one kind or another. Every box is like a trip down memory lane. I guess that's my Christmas present this year.

21. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2019

Rain, I hope that you can hold on to the very best memories, and let those memories sustain you as you are healing in your new home. Wishing you improving health, new friends to make new memories with, and strength from all of the loved ones you were lucky to have around you for as long as you did. My strength was my mom, who I spoke to every day of my life. I lost her when I was only 38 years old, and my only solace was that she had come to the phone although she thought she had the flu. She was planning to go to the doctor the following morning. I was able to make her laugh, share something funny about my son, and to tell her I loved her. She had a massive coronary and died in her sleep that night. I will be forever grateful for our last conversation and chuckles. No one has ever taken her place, but I do have others that I love. Mom taught me how to love - her greatest gift. Enjoy every memory.

22. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Dec 15, 2019

I'm so glad you had that closure. I was also blessed in that I knew both of my parents were dying, and I was able to spend their last days on earth with them. I did hospice with both, 11 years apart. I was double blessed, because I was able to tell both that I loved them, that I'd miss them, and that I understood it was time for them to leave. I was there when they took their last breaths. I had the time to prepare and accept the inevitable. So many people don't get that opportunity, and have to live with so many things being left unsaid.

I'm sorry for your loss. No matter how long ago, the death of a beloved parent changes us in ways we never expect.

Tired Teacher and vickilyn like this.
  23. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 16, 2019

Rain, I hope you can be good to yourself on Christmas. You have such a wonderful outlook, and I know things will improve as you have been working so hard to get better. Many areas have group dinners for those who find themselves alone. I wish you lived closer because I would certainly welcome you to spend the day.

MrsC, vickilyn and futuremathsprof like this.
  24. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Dec 16, 2019

Thanks, Missy. And actually, one of the Meetup groups I joined when I got here just posted an event on Christmas Day in the late afternoon for those who have no one to spend the day with. I'll be joining 11 other women (all in my age group) for a nice meal at a local restaurant. I've only met one of these women before, but I'm sure I'll enjoy myself. I always enjoy getting to know people.

25. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Dec 16, 2019

I ended up going with Google Home Nest Hub. Can't wait to try it out next Wednesday.

26. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Dec 16, 2019

I think those are like Alexas from Amazon? Someone bought me an Alexa echo for my kitchen when I first moved here.. I like it so much, I just bought the Echo Flex for all the other rooms of my house. I love being able to set a timer or jot down a reminder.

27. thompsonmax

thompsonmax New Member

Dec 20, 2019

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. I would like to have a new LED PLASMA SMART HUGE TV :D

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 20, 2019

I hope Santa treats you well!!

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2019

My boy will be home tomorrow! It's almost a year since I've seen him, so I'm an excited mama.

Tired Teacher, Missy and RainStorm like this.
  30. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Dec 20, 2019

Family is the best present!

31. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2019

My son will be home tonight. He's had a bout of sickness, and it will be good to see him feeling better. That is an early gift.

32. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Dec 20, 2019

I'm not much of a gift person, either giving or receiving. That is, I enjoy receiving gifts well enough, and I had fun buying gifts for my daughters, and I recognize the social construct of gift giving.

But it's certainly not my love language.

My husband realizes this. He has still purchased me a gift out of spouse obligation. I purchased him something I think he needs and also will enjoy.

Gift giving is hard.

I really have no list for myself. If I want it that badly, I'll find a way to get it myself.

33. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Dec 20, 2019

I absolutely love getting gifts during the holidays. I was smiling the whole time as student after student gave my gifts as they said I was their favorite teacher! For instance, my students gave me:
    • $150
    • $50 gift card to Pete’s Coffee
    • $30 Target gift card
    • $10 Starbucks gift card
    • $25 gift card to Panera Bread
    • TONS of expensive chocolate and small Christmas knickknacks like mugs and such

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  34. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Dec 20, 2019

I did get an unholy sum in Amazon cards and lots of chocolate. I'm not opposed.

35. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Dec 20, 2019

I added a few keychain lanyards.

36. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Dec 21, 2019

Your post pleases me.

37. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Dec 31, 2019

The Google Nest Hub is awesome. Love the display!