Christmas Spirit!!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Beth2004, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 20, 2005

First of all, let me just say that I LOVE Christmas. I mean love love love love Christmas! My boyfriend makes me mad sometimes because he's not as into it as I am, but oh well. I think I take after my dad. He usually decorates the house with so many lights I'm afraid airplanes are going to try to land in my backyard! haha Anyway, I'm sitting here at school waiting for the kids to come in and the principal has had the best Christmas music playing over the intercom for the past half hour. I'm definitely in the Christmas spirit. Only five more days left!! I love this time of year. It's so upsetting when it's over, but for now I'm just enjoing it. I hope everyone else is too!!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 20, 2005

If I didn't have the spirit, I would've just caught it from your post!!

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 20, 2005

I'm like a kid when it comes to Christmas. :)

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 20, 2005

I used to be - wish I could regain that feeling. Cherish it.

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 20, 2005

Believe me, I understand how people get stressed out during this time. I'm trying not to be, though. My paycheck got messed up at the school department and I haven't gotten a check in about a month, I can't drive my car on the highway because my wheel bearings are going, the exhaust on my bf's car broke yesterday, my furnace broke when we lost power 2 weeks ago so it hasn't been working correctly and today was the earliest they could come replace it...I could go on and on! haha It's easy to get down around this time of year, but I try not to. :)

7. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Dec 20, 2005

I know how you feel, I get SO excited about Christmas, and this year I am trying not to let myself get stressed out. I almost don't want Christmas to come, I don't want this feeling to be over.

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2005

I love all the Christmas movies that are on tv this time of year as well. no matter when you turn on tv, seems like you can always find some good old classics playing, either animated or otherwise. i love it! They always get me in the spirit as well.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2005

I LOVE Christmas as well. This year I didn't put out half the stuff because of time and lil' ones!!! I love decorating the house and getting out the ornaments. I'm going to sound like Hallmark commercial, but those ornaments sure do hold a lot of memories!!!

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2005

Beth, I'm with you! I love the whole feeling of the season and the coziness of friends and family. I love shopping to begin with so the shopping for presents part doesn't bother me one bit! I love buying that perfect gift for someone and seeing the look on their face when they open it. I wish I had lots of money to by something for everyone I know...I love giving to others. This year with the day landing on Sunday will be especially cool because we'll get to go to church on Christmas morning.

11. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2005

On a side note, our neighbors across the street have a hot tub outside. The other day they were in it while it was 5 degrees outside. Doesn't that sound cozy...sitting in the hot tub while it's freezing outside with a cup of hot chocolate with marshmallows?!

12. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2005

Beth ..

My boyfriend is the same way! I love christmas and he isnt as into it as I am too! We always compromise during the holidays for every christmas related thing I make him do or go to or watch , I have to do something he likes..not always great but what you gonna do..lol

I cant wait for christmas... finished most of my shopping today but still need to buy for my two best friends ..they should be easy but uhhhhhh! I cant find anything that I want to get them ! And they are absolutely no help ..lol

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2005

Jen, we did the hot tub in the cold. Not bad until you get out. it's funny sitting in there...if your hair gets wet it freezes!!! We got out did snowangels & jumped back in!!! We usually had a different *beverage* than hot chocolate!!!

14. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2005

Ha ha. That's what the hubby's aunt and uncle do too...snow angels then hop back in...including other beverages of choice!

15. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 20, 2005

I am feeling a bit conflicted this Christmas. I have always loved all the decorations, songs on the radio, shopping, baking, live Nativity scenes, and the general feeling of goodwill toward others.

But, this year is bittersweet - it will be the last one for us in this house. We will be moving in 2006. I keep telling myself that we are fortunate that my husband has a good job to move to, while so many other people in this area are looking at being unemployed.

I love our house - but, really it is just four walls. It is my family that makes this a home. I need to remember that we will be home for Christmas next year - in a new house.

16. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 20, 2005

Moving can be really sad. I completely understand how you feel. I'm sure you'll be very happy in your new home, though! :)

17. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 20, 2005

Thanks! I'm working on keeping positive - and I keep a box of Kleenex handy for when I'm not!

Just today my husband (not home from work yet) forwarded an email from the DFAS (Defense Finance and Accounting Services) office in Columbus. They are getting things in order to make this an easier move for those of us who have chosen to move. The lady talked about what a great city Columbus is. I have been there many times and agree that it has a lot to offer.

18. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2005

Oh, good luck with everything, Glenda. It is hard to leave all those memories behind when you move. Especially all those that happened in that house. I'm sure once you move in and get all of your furniture and decorations up from your current house, it really will feel like home sweet home again. It is all of those treasures around you that you are taking that will make that happen! How far of a move is this for you ?

19. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 20, 2005

Columbus is about an hour and a half away from us. So, that's not too bad! We could have chosen to go to Indianapolis, Cleveland, or Limestone, Maine! Plus, the military will move us. That is so nice! I remember the Air Force moving us from California to Florida. Our son was just a few months old. I sat in the living room with the baby while the guys packed up all of our stuff. Then they came back the next day to load it on the truck. At least that part will be easy!

20. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 20, 2005

Hey what is wrong with Limestone Maine? Besides that big concert they have there very summer. Oh and it's up in the middle of no wheres land.
    But you could have visited me on the way by.

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 20, 2005

Beth,
    Have you read the book Christmas Extravaganza by David Shannon?

22. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 20, 2005

No, I haven't.

23. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 20, 2005

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! I really did think of you when my hubby told me that one of the options was Limestone, Maine. There is someone from the Kettering office who chose to move there! They lived there years ago - and want to return. That "middle of no wheres land" is going to keep us away. :)

24. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2005

Columbus is nice ..been there a few times..

LOL you could have visited me if you chose cleveland..would u be on the outskirts in a suburb or in the city???

Good luck to you, moving is hard but also excieting !!!

25. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 20, 2005

I have no idea where the DFAS (Defense Finance and Accounting Services) office is in Cleveland.

Once the holidays are over, I am going to get a spiral notebook and start making lists. Being organized helps me feels secure/safe.

26. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2005

I asked my dad and he said its downtown ..its suppose to bring lots of jobs to cleveland !

27. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 20, 2005

Oh, yeah. There will be a TON of jobs going to the few DFAS office that were chosen to stay open!! Many closed, just a few to remain open.

28. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2005

Glenda, will you be closer to your son and his college?

29. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2005

I LOVE cleveland !!! University circle is one of my favorite place to be!

30. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 20, 2005

Columbus will be a little farther away from Cincinnati, especially because we will probably be on the north end of the city. Right now we are 90 miles away - an hour and a half. It will probably be an extra half an hour onto that from Columbus. Not too bad - and we can take I-71 directly there. Now we take I-75 south from our town to exit 3 in Cincinnati.

31. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 20, 2005

I don't know Cleveland at all. I'm not from Ohio and it is quite some distance from the Dayton area. Why does it have such a bad reputation in this state?

32. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2005

Cleveland had a few (well more than a few) rough years with the river on fire and the pollution. But all in all cleveland isnt that bad ! THe schools need help, but that like alot of places. Like any city crime is a factor ..pluis bad leadership

33. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 20, 2005

"river on fire" - That doesn't sound like something that would attract people to your city. :eek:

34. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2005

LOL it was years ago ..they had really bad Pollution ..but now its not that bad ...univercity circle has museums and performance center's It is so nice ..kind of like central park...

35. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 21, 2005

I would never has seen you anyway it's like 5 hrs north of me or something crazy.

36. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 21, 2005

I just read an article in Family Fun about a family that moved to a new city away from relatives. They decided that when the shipped Christmas presents to family it would contain new items they found in the area they live in. All year round they made a list of new things, food, items native to the area, etc. In December they reviewed the list and put in their favorites. It is such a hit with the family members they do it every year. Maybe you could do something like that Glenda!

37. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 21, 2005

When is the projected move date? I bet you are tired of moving around - but really good at it. My stepson (Navy) got sent to bases in only warm places until the last move. He had Spain, Sicily, Key West, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Corpus Christi ...... now they are in Maine. Yikes. He's in Japan or elsewhere frequently, anyway.

38. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 21, 2005

We still don't know that yet. My husband was surprised that his office would be closed by 31December06. He thought that the move might actually take a couple of years. So, we just have to wait and do what we're told. We are hoping that we can move over the summer months.