Christmas Shopping?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Hoot Owl, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 4, 2009

Have you started yet? I'm going to do alot of it online this year and getting started today.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2009

I just put in an order for some make-up for my daughter's stocking, so I guess I've started! She also told me last weekend about a snowboarding jacket that, "I love, love, love, Mom. It's what I want for Christmas!"--I'll try to pick that up this week as well.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2009

I only buy for a couple of needy children through a local program. Some years Dad wants to do a silly gift game that involves buying an expensive gift, but otherwise, that's it. I know a lot of people enjoy the gift-giving and receiving, but I enjoy the relative peacefulness of not participating. :)

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2009

Yep.

I pre-ordered the kids the new Toy Story Mania game for the Wii before it came out.

I ordered each of them a Disney Sweatjacket last week.

And today I was at the hated Walmart for jeans for Brian (Let me reiterate how much I HATE that place!!) and found fleece throws for $7.50. I picked up 4-- one each for Julia and Kira's teachers, and one each for Julia and Brian's religion teachers.

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 4, 2009

I got a ton of clothes at Target today for my 'little sister's' birthday (I mentor her), and I was thinking ahead to Christmas. I might her a nice coat and give it to her early. I want to get my student an American Girl, but I'm wavering. Dh and I always wait until last minute for each other, although he's mentioned scuba diving lessons several times. Mom wants to do an 'event exchange', so if we go home for Christmas, each person plans a day/evening event for everyone and pays for it as their gift to the family. I kind of like that idea. So pretty low key this year.

7. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Oct 4, 2009

I started last Christmas!! Yay! I also bought some jewelry at a party for my step-mom, mom, and sis. I think I only need to buy for my husband, dad, and a couple of others. Can't wait!

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 4, 2009

I never start this early. If I have any at all to buy, I start looking maybe the first week of December.

9. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2009

I am going to buy my mom a Coach tote and wallet. Not sure about my dad. He just got a nice birthday gift and I just bought him the complete Father Ted dvds at Borders last night, so it will be something fairly simple so I can afford mom's.

My little parrot will get a box of toys to rummage around in. I have lots of toy making supplies, so this one is just a matter of time to put together the stuff she likes to destroy.

10. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Oct 4, 2009

I am going to Tenerife , come back when it's all over !:whistle:

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 4, 2009

I will start in the next two weeks or so, already have some ideas in my head.

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 4, 2009

I am almost done. I hit the clearance sales all summer and bought my daughters some dishes--really cheap. My grandkids get clothes that I found on clearance for really cheap prices. I made the families jam this year. And I am making pillows for some of the grandkids. I will pick up some Levi's for the rest, and be done.

13. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2009

Christmas is going to be very low key this year. We spent 2 weeks in Disney World in June and are going back for Thanksgiving week so my kids are not getting much with 2 big vacations in 6 months.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2009

Is your student the little sister/mentee? Or is there someone new whom you are guiding/mentoring/teaching? :confused:

15. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Oct 4, 2009

I'm starting soon...I'm going on a cruise the day after Christmas so I want to get my shopping done early (so I have spending money in Dec. for my cruise)

16. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Oct 4, 2009

I have Hallmark ornaments for my mom, my aunt, and my godson that I bought during the preview weekend in June (?). I have a bunch of Rudolph stuff for my aunt and the aunt item for my aunt. I bought 4 (I think) books for my godson for Christmas and I have bought the fabric to make him a fleece tie blanket, but I haven't made the blanket yet.

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2009

I love the "event exchange" idea, Jem! I may need to suggest that to my mom and sister.

18. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Oct 4, 2009

Not yet. We don't start until the day after Thanksgiving, and no I'm not crazy...haha. It's fun, my mom, sisters, husband (he gets a lot done for me), and I always go. Sometimes my grandma and aunt come along as well...so it's a fun time. :)

The budget is kinda tight this year though, since we're trying to move out in February.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2009

Jem, I'm totally confused. THe only sibling I've heard you mention is a brother. Is the "little sister" your student or am I have I just totally lost a member of your family?

20. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 4, 2009

I think this is her little sister as in the Big Sisters/Little Sisters organization.

21. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Oct 4, 2009

I'm a freak and start my Christmas shopping the day after Christmas. I have a list in my wallet of everyone that we buy for and I work my way throughout the list all year long. When I buy something for someone, I update the list so that I don't get them something else. We go back east to see my family in May and I usually have most of the Christmas presents wrapped and ready so we can take them down and save $ on shipping. I have 7 nieces on that side of the family, 3 siblings and their spouses. I also have my parents and two full sets of grandparents. On myhubby's side of the family we have his parents, his sister and brother-in-law and their four kids. He also has a surviving Grandpa. We also have Christmas parties at school, 4-H, Girl Scouts, teachers, and Sunday school leaders to buy for. I also buy several gifts at the day after Christmas sales for those birthdays that the kids seem to always get invited to. Our county is pretty rural and there is one stop light and no Walmart anywhere. It is about 35 minute drive to do shopping so I try to stay stocked up.

22. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2009

I got a bunch of books for the great neices and nephews at the scholastic warehouse sale in August, and I got the neices some jewelry at a Lia Sophia party I went to. I just ordered the peppermint basket from Longaberger for my daughter's godmother. I picked up a bunch of Yankee Candle porcelin ornaments for all of the "extra" teachers (GT, art, music, reading, etc.) from my kids last January on clearance. My mom quilts, and so does my oldest kid's teacher, so she's taking care of that gift.

I have a huge family, between my own and my husbands, so I give a TON of gifts each year (literally, 60 or so, including the ones from "santa"), so I've barely made a dent, but at least I'm started. For the nephews and the religous ed teachers, it's all gift-cards, so that's easy at least, but hard to bargain-shop for.

My daughters make gifts for their friends (like tie-dyed scarves), and I have to start scouting for those projects.
    Kim

23. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2009

I'm going to be starting soon. This is the earliest I've started.

24. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 4, 2009

We're not big Christmas shoppers, so we don't even start until a couple of weeks before Christmas.

DH and I have big stockings, so we do only stocking stuffers for each other. We don't have children or siblings. We buy for our Moms (both dads died in the past year), and we typically set a budget of $50 for each.

25. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2009

Jem has mentioned several times that she has a "little sister" through the organization Big Brothers/Big Sisters.

26. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 5, 2009

I'm one of those crazy people who doesn't start until the day after Thanksgiving. I LOVE it, though! I always get up super early, make some hot chocolate, and blast Christmas music. I'm very particular about not listening to Christmas music until then, and I always start with the Hanson Christmas album.

27. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 5, 2009

I was at Mardel's this weekend and got angels for my children's teachers. I was at a football game and won an OU sooners signed shirt by Jason White--Heisman winner--and am giving it to my little sister for Christmas. I am not an OU fan. I am ordering my son a jacket for Christmas and I am ordering my son a jacket. That only leaves my daughter and mom's big gifts. Then I will have a few little gifts to get.

28. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Oct 5, 2009

Do you know what age range this game is appropriate for? I'd love to get it for my niece and nephews for Christmas but I'm wondering if they're still a little young.

29. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Oct 5, 2009

Christmas Shopping

I have to make time to fit in shopping. I am working on lesson plans and helping plan a local conference for early childhood in my state and have two preteen boys.

30. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Oct 5, 2009

We don't have alot of gifts to buy, mainly gift cards because kids and grandkids are "needy" and don't often like what I buy!:p So I take the easy way and make them happy by giving gift cards. But I do like to buy and wrap presents and begin shopping for those the day after Christmas. I get alot of great buys, but have to store the stuff for a year, but figure the person is getting a great gift that I couldn't afford otherwise. I bought BEAUTIFUL stockings for everyone last year that were $20 at Target--but 90% off! They cost me $2! How can you go wrong?!

31. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Oct 5, 2009

You guys are people after my own heart starting your Christmas shopping this early! I always intend to start early but never do, and I end up feeling too stressed over the holidays to enjoy the festivities. Thanks so much for this thread. Now I feel motivated!

My sisters and I were thinking about getting our dad a Kindle for Christmas, and my husband has been hinting for an iphone. I've half-heartedly been picking up little gifts for everyone's stockings. I was thinking of sewing a quilt for my sister and her husband - better get going on that one!

32. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2009

Haven't started, but we've thrown around ideas. Bad thing is we have a lot of fam that likes to get us gifts & I never know what to ask for.

I will be visiting absoluteties.com for some of hubby's gifts. LOVE that site if you've never been there I've never had a problem with them & shipping is pretty quick usually within 5 days sometimes quicker!!!

33. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Oct 5, 2009

We have to have Christmas a few weeks early this year because my husband will be in Iraq before Christmas, but I haven't started shopping yet. He's buying me a laptop with a webcam (to show off my growing belly) and I will be buying him a video camera (so he can read books and make videos for the baby due in April)

For my stepchildren, I have no clue. They already have everything!

34. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 5, 2009

Gift cards are the perfect gift for the person who has everything.

35. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Oct 5, 2009

lol, I won't start shopping until late November, early December. I need cold, snow, and Advent to put me in the Christmas Spirit. :D

36. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2009

I stopped off at the mall today to see the jacket that my daughter wants, "more than anything"--it's $289.00!:eek: If she gets it, I hope she really loves it because she won't be getting anything else!

37. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 5, 2009

Is it a store that is likely to have a sale or coupon? Is there any chance it is cheaper in the states? That is awfully expensive (of course my heavy jacket only spends 2-3 weeks out of the closet, that might be a little different for you ;)).

38. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2009

She would wear it a lot--it's a snowboarding jacket and you need to look great on the slopes! :lol: She's part of the snowboarding team at school--10 races or so a year, plus boards recreationally. She'd also wear it to school. She'd get a good 4 months use of it each winter and, as she's pretty well stopped growing, it would last a few seasons. I'm going to watch for sales, and check the manufacturer on-line; it likely is cheaper in the States if I can find it. I've got some thinking to do...

39. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 5, 2009

No, I do the Big Sisters program as well, so I have a 'little sister' on top of my student. So I have two ten year old girls in my life. I resurface from their pre-teen world each evening-dh keeps me grounded. ;)

40. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 5, 2009

I have started: bought some jewelry for my nieces at my sister's Lia Sophia party, and I have begun knitting the other part of their gift. My mom wants a couple make up bags for when she travels (not that she wears a lot of makeup-but she puts all toiletries in there) and my dad is easy-he was his favorite brandy. : )
    I will do most of my husband and son's gift buying on line. We are planning on having a "smaller" Christmas with more emphasis on family. (We lost my husband's father this summer)

41. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

Oct 5, 2009

Have you tried looking at sites like Backcountry or Dogfunk? They have merchandise listed, and you can sometimes find great deals! My bf works for a resort and knows all the in's and out's of buying big things like snowboards and jackets, and, especially since he's with me, I make sure he doesn't spend too much of our budget. PM me know if you want help with the jacket search. Salt Lake City has TONS of snow shops and they're all getting geared up for winter now.