Christmas Shopping...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Beth2004, Oct 8, 2005.

1. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Oct 9, 2005

I don't regift either, but my great-aunt is older, so I think she just forgot that I was the one she got the pins from, lol. Well, yesterday I bought my boyfriend a christmas present and got his dad his, and I have some ideas for my sisters.

2. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 9, 2005

We all go to the holiday party. Years ago it was at someone's house but she downsized (wonder why) so now we go to a very cool restaurant. We have a very nice group and it is always a treat. Last year a parent and her son were just leaving as we arrived and they gave $100 toward our bill!

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2005

We do the secret Santa ... it is kind of fun, but kind of a hassle, too. Our Christmas party is at our boss's house ... lots of good food and the white elephant game. One year I got a small ceramic duck...so ugly and dumb...but it doesn't matter what we get, it's just for fun. One year we had this auction and everyone was given fake money. Our boss picked up a whole bunch of junk to bid on. Some of us were relentless in wanting certain things and when we ran out of money, some our friends gave us theirs...it got pretty loud and rowdy!!! I think our boss got mad about people giving their "fun" money to others so we never did it again!!! She just doesn't have the same sense of humor that the rest of us idiots do.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 9, 2005

Yeah, Jaime, that's what I've always called it too. :)

5. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Oct 9, 2005

when we get out for christmas
    I know that's horrible, but I just don't have time to shop before then!!!!

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2005

I never have time to shop either! Weekends are so busy and after work is too late. I asked for a day or two off in early December for that very reason.

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2005

I've ended up doing a lot of my shopping online.........it has made my life easier! I know it may sound impersonal, but I find the lack of time to be so stressful. Online shopping helps me keep some sanity during the rush of the holidays.
    Grammy, which cat is that? He is beautiful!!

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2005

Thanks for the cat compliment. That is our old cat, Eddie. He is the perfect Halloween cat. He weighs about 15# and he is solid muscle, yet gentle as a baby when the house is quiet. He is my buddy.Oh, he is about 14 years old.

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2005

I think I've commented on him before.......but his coat is so silky, he looks so healthy and happy. He is a perfect halloween cat!! :)

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2005

Yes, he has been on before! His fur is the softest that I have ever felt. It's like velvet. The only time he was real sick was with the urinary tract blockage and needed surgery. They put him on a special diet and he hated it so much he quit eating, so I kept trying different stuff and he just wouldn't eat! He wanted his Purina Chow and that was that! So, I went back to that and have to make sure that he drinks plenty of water(and he likes milk)used to eat alot of sour cream, but got tired of that! He is just the greatest, but you would never want to fight with that boy! He is one tough cat. One swipe is all it takes! I hold him on my lap on his back like a baby and he purrs and sleeps ...oh I love him. In this picture he is sitting on our front porch in his basket, sunning himself, thus the head down and eyes closed!

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2005

Ahhhhhhhhhh, I would be the same way if I was sunning myself. How comfy he looks!:)

12. gigi

gigi Groupie

Oct 10, 2005

I usually start the weekend after Thanksgiving. My daughter and I take that Friday and go up north to the retail outlet stores and make a day of it. It is tradition now. I did see a gift I would like to pick up and think I will start getting one gift a week from now on. Money is an issue, so I think that will help keep me out of credit card debit!

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 10, 2005

Up North? Do you mean North Conway? I have been meaning go over there. To do some shopping.

14. gigi

gigi Groupie

Oct 10, 2005

Yes, North Conway. We spend the entire day going through Settlers Green, and then on to the other shops on Main St., and beyond. You should try it. I get some really good buys.

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 10, 2005

Oh that came out wrong. I do go over there. I just haven't been lately. Last time was April vacation because I was at Mom's house. I'm closer to Kittery here .

16. gigi

gigi Groupie

Oct 10, 2005

So we really aren't that far away from each other. I am about 20 minutes from Portsmouth, which as you know, isn't far from Kittery!

17. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2005

Ok, I did some more shopping yesterday. I have to admit that I have a shopping addiction. I find joy in spending money even if it's just $2.00 on something stupid. Heck, I don't even have to spend the money, I just like the experience. Anyway, I got some more stuff for the boy. I found his BC Builders. He better like it since he brings it up every single day. I also found him a Diego figure. If anyone ever sees something having to do with the 'Go Diego Go' show, PLEASE let me know. I hope they come out with things like they have for Dora. He loves Diego and my hubby is too stubborn and wont let him have anything Dora because it's "for girls". I also got him a huge bucket of Tinker Toys and a few games.

18. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 10, 2005

I love Christmas shopping. The crowds and lines around the holidays can be aggrivating, but I still enjoy it. I love buying things for people that I know they'll like.

19. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Oct 10, 2005

I always say that I am going to start earlier but usually because of money reasons I get started late. This year my husband and I have been setting aside some money each month to spend on Christmas so I hope to be starting soon. I love the gift exchange ideas. This is my first year at my school and I'm not sure if they do anything fun like that.

20. itsjustme

itsjustme Rookie

Oct 10, 2005

I went shopping for the first time last year the day after Thanksgiving. I went with my mom and my aunt (experienced shoppers) and we had so much fun. I thought it would be awful standing in line and all the people. They really had things figured out though, lines went quite fast and everyone was in a very good mood, people smiling everywhere you went, happy as could be to be up at 5 in the morning...it was quite the experience.We got out in time right as the grumpies started coming in the doors! It was strange though, even the traffic was ok...people were just plain nice that day...kinda freaky! HAH! I just might try that again this year!

21. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2005

We've also done the white elephant Christmas exchange before and it was so much fun.

itsjustme: I got your message but was unable to answer you back. You have to enable your private messages in order for someone to respond. Just wanted to let you know so you don't think I'm ignoring you. Let me know when you enable it and I will respond back to you. :)

22. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 11, 2005

I have never been the day after Thanksgiving. Not sure if I ever will try. Maybe if I have kids and all lol.

23. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2005

I went last year and I was only in the Walmart line for 5 minutes. That's pretty good for Walmart. There are many day after Thanksgiving sales going on that day so I try to scope them out. Our local Farm and Fleet also has their Toyland open and I usually have to see what I can find for my son there. Last year I found LOTS of great deals for him.

24. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 11, 2005

What is Farm and Fleet?

25. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2005

LOL! Farm and Fleet is like a huge department store for rednecks!!! No offense to anyone. That's the only way I can describe it. Half the store is devoted to farm equipment, tools, and hunting materials. The other half (the smaller half) to toys, clothes, and home products. They have some awesome deals after Thanksgiving and some of their clothes aren't bad. I don't buy my clothes there, but I have gotten a few things for the boy there.

Jamiemarie, we recently learned about the United States and my son is obsessed with Maine. It's Maine, Florida, Texas, and Idaho for some reason. He ALWAYS has to point them out on a map. Just thought I'd tell you since you're a Maine resident.

26. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2005

LOL, Jen! We call them Fleet Farm here, and don't let my hubby hear you calling it for rednecks!!!!!!! It's a "manly" store to him! haha. He said that is the only place he ever needs to shop..........tools, electrical equipment, etc........he never buys farm supplies.........we don't live on a farm! LOL! It is kind of like a home depot.......but yes, more farm equipment, etc. They do have a great toy department at Christmas.........some awesome deals!

27. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2005

Up north by my in-laws they have a Fleet Farm too. I wonder if they are co-related or anything. They must be somehow. My hubby calls it a manly store as well. That's the only store he will go with me to willingly.

28. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 11, 2005

LOL yes we are the mitten state. At least that is how I always thought of it as a kid. Looks like a mitten.

29. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2005

Wisconsin looks like a mitten too!:)

30. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 11, 2005

I did inventory last night on my x-mas gifts. I don't have many this year for some reason. I really need to get going. My brother is done and that is it!

31. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 11, 2005

I wish my state looked like a mitten. Our's looks like someone showing their bicep muscles and I live in the arm-pit!

32. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 11, 2005

ewwwwwwwwwww LOL. I would rather live on the fore arm.

33. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2005

lol! Beth........I am laughing so hard at that one.........now everyone has to describe what their state is shaped like!!! Don't know if anyone can beat the bicep.......and armpit! LOL! I'd take the forearm as well!

34. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 11, 2005

yeah cause then we would live in Cape Cod.
    I love the Cape!

35. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 11, 2005

I'd rather live on the forearm too!

36. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2005

well, I guess the bicep wouldn't be bad either :eek: (if it is male, sorry)

37. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 11, 2005

Hey, anything's better than the armpit, right?? haha

38. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 11, 2005

I don't even want to say what my state looks like.

39. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2005

Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

40. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 12, 2005

OH come on Daisy to tell us what you think!