Christmas Shopping for Others?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 30, 2014

What are you getting your loved ones this yr?

I never have many people to buy for...just parents, BF, & BF's mom. I got my BF all his stuff & for our parents this yr, I think my BF & I will get my parents a medley of stuff:

- organic fruit basket
    - his & her zip-down fleece sweatshirts
    - salt-free lemon herb seasoning (my mom likes it)
    - metal paper towel holder (parents need another)
    - Bath & BodyWorks liquid hand soap (2 bottles)
    - Sprouts grocery store & Walmart gift cards

Over the yrs, it's harder to figure out what to get them. We'll get his mom a grp of similar things. I welcome any other suggestions!

My mom's worked so incredibly hard, especially the last few yrs taking care of my Dad. I want to give her so much!

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 30, 2014

For BF, I had gotten:

- iPod earbuds
    - DVD movie
    - Skechers sneakers
    - Adidas underwear
    - white chocolate sauce
    - Michael Kors pants
    - $50 Bass Pro Shop gift card (got free! )

And cat toy for his mom's cat. I'll probably give her a little of something else to thow into her medley of things, like a B&BW hand soap.

There's an arts & crafts faire coming up that I want to go to again...hopefully I can find something great for another gift!

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 30, 2014

For the last couple years, I've made it a goal to only shop local/handmade. I try very hard not to buy anything from big stores. I scour etsy and craft shows to find the perfect gifts :)

BF:
    Bocce set
    Two books
    That's it so far... Need more.

Parents:
    Stained glass fish for my mom's office
    Embroidered snowman fleece zip (so adorable) for my mom
    Very cool university embroidered door hanger for my dad
    A calendar with pictures of us.
    I want to get my dad at least one more thing.

Various friends:
    Cashmere owl ornament
    Hand-painted wine glass
    Making dry erase note pads in a picture frame
    Still have at least two more friends to shop for.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 30, 2014

My BF & I both want an iPhone 6. We are getting each other one. Additionally, he got me an early Christmas present (a really nice faucet for our kitchen) and installed it last week. Not sure what else we will get each other. We usually spend quite a bit on our nephews/nieces. We pretty much have everything we need, so we prefer spending money on the little ones.

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 30, 2014

DH and I are buying a joint gift for ourselves - tickets to Disneyland to visit over Christmas break. :) It's our happy place, and when we moved in July we had to give up the annual passes.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 30, 2014

We just went in October. It's a five hour long drive for us, so we don't go too often. :(

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 30, 2014

I get ornaments... I make them with pix on them. I'm not going to use company name right now...so ticked that I may have to change. ordered 6 ornaments as gifts like $7 a piece. My sis went to Disney & I cropped on of her "stickers" from her photo plan to put on & the company cancelled my WHOLE order. I can see cancelling the one but not all...plus Disney when you do photo plan gives you rights to pix!!! But they "gave" me new promo that basically takes on $2 off an ornament (which means almost double)....they are being called tomorrow!!!!

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 30, 2014

I spend the most on the kids and my parents. I don't know what I'm getting my parents yet, but I've gotten the youngest ones several things already.

10. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Nov 30, 2014

My kiddos are getting way more than they need, mostly arts and crafts supplies this year with a good smattering of toys.

My MIL is getting the cream and sugar set of her Christmas China. FIL is getting some antique photos of his favorite team's stadium.

My husband is getting clothes, some books, and a few DVDs. Nothing too exciting this year!

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 30, 2014

My mom & MIL get this: http://giftshop.thehenryford.org/a542/hom-2014-candy-cane.html They expect this as I get it for them every year. We didn't do it one year for my MIL & we heard about it! We didn't think she had liked it. I usually get my Dad something from there too.

DH, is getting a bunch of short sleeved dress shirts & ties. It's what he's asked for. Plus a car starter.

DD is getting a car starter and clothes.

DS is getting a PS4 and clothes.

Both kids are also getting something from our vacation. Every year we buy something for them from our trip.

Everyone gets at least 1 book.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2014

Our wedding anniversary is a week before Christmas. We just ordered a canvas of a photo of us from DS's wedding. It's us kissing and we're having it made in black and white.:love::wub:
    Started buying some stocking stuffers today...Whack an Orange is a must in my house. Have been making lists this weekend for DSs, DIL and DH. I'm all about trying to find gifts that my loved ones really love, that they wouldn't buy for themselves, that are personal.

13. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2014

I'm getting my husband a classic safety razor, shaving brush, and mug. My daughter is going to customize a Timbuktu messenger bag for her present, and I've been collecting little things for her, mostly for her kitchen. I want to get something for her boyfriend, but he's very hard to buy for! DH and I usually shop the after-Chirstmas sales for clothes for ourselves.

14. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Nov 30, 2014

I'm almost done with my Christmas shopping. I have 3 sons, my husband, my mom, and MIL to buy for--my husband is handling his dad, and all of the gifts to the kids "from Santa."

So far, I've spent about 200 on Adam, 150 on Jacob, 75 on Aaron, 200 on my husband, 150 on my mom, and 75 on my MIL. I have a few more things to get for my mom and MIL though.

My kids all have gotten clothes, dvds, the younger two got personalized books, my oldest got a 130.00 interactive globe, the original simon game, Jacob got a robot dog that is so precious and lifelike. My baby, Aaron, got baby toys of course. I got my husband and ice maker, new home phones, dvds.

Next Christmas is gonna suck. Both Jacob AND Aaron will be in daycare, so I might be able to spare 200-300 total for everybody :*(

15. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 30, 2014

I am getting Sweets a new watch. He has to come with me and select it though. The boys are taken care of (thank you Black Friday) so we need to focus on extended family. I am thinking of getting my parents a new coffee maker because theirs died on TG. Not sure what everyone else will be getting.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 1, 2014

My BF & I just went last week. It was the best Disneyland trip in our adult lives ever! (Best meaning, no rides were closed, lines moved along fast, we stayed the longest we ever had, etc.)

We want to go back to California Adventure again after last going 4-5 yrs ago.

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 1, 2014

I always make something small for my friends, and Mom and I do small things. That's all the shopping I do.

I bought mom a 7" Kindle Fiee. I got it for $47. It was on sale for $99, and I applied my Discover card rewards to it. I made ornaments for my friends.

BF and I aren't exchanging gifts.

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 1, 2014

I'm getting restaurant gift certificates for my siblings and their spouses. They have several restaurants in our town affiliated with a culinary school so they can choose which one they want to go to. Not sure what to get my mom but I'm hoping my sister and I can find one nice gift and give it from both of us instead of a bunch of small things. I have to see what other people are getting for my nephew before I shop for him. My husband wants some kind of weather station but he's going to have to give me some direction because I know nothing about them. I might get small things for friends but I am already running out of time and money!!