Christmas Program

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miz_Jay, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Miz_Jay

Miz_Jay Companion

Nov 11, 2010

I'm in my first few weeks as teacher in the 2's room at the preschool where I work. I am expected to select 5 songs for my kids to perform for a Christmas Program(Santa themed) in about a month.

I'm kind of at a loss for what to do because my babies barely sing with me to songs that they've been singing the whole time they've been there.

I don't know what to do. The director of the center expects so much, but my degree is in elementary education and before this I had no experience working with babies. I'm sort of lost and getting very little help from anyone(though that is a whole other issue).

Any help or song suggestions or performance suggestions would be appreciated.

3. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 11, 2010

Miz Jay, I am proud of you for noticing that 2's are not into singing. It is also, in MY OPINION, not DAP to have them present a program and be expected to perform. But, since we have to cooperate with the system, here is my suggestion.

Dress them all in similar dress--angels, teddy bears, or all red and green. Partner with an older group who can carry the songs. Let the 2's be cute. They could also ring bells.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 11, 2010

I was going to suggest the same thing as Blue. Give them some bells and teach them some actions to do with their hands and feet. Watching the little ones try to remember their moves will put a smile of everyone's faces. Half of them probably won't even make it up on stage once they see their parents...

6. RedVac

RedVac Rookie

Nov 12, 2010

That is such a difficult place to be in with such young kids. I am an early childhood music teacher and preschool teacher and know that it is not DAP, however I am in a similar situation at my preschool. What I would do is find a CD with children singing simple songs like Jingle Bells and We Wish you a Merry Christmas, give the children egg shakers or bells and really have them just play along. They cannot be expected to perform, but this might keep everyone happy if they are just up front playing instruments. Good luck!