Christmas Presents for Parents

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by ArizonaTeacher, Nov 14, 2006.

1. ArizonaTeacher

ArizonaTeacher Rookie

Nov 14, 2006

I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas as to what the kids can make for their parents for Christmas. I am working with 4 year olds and have done mugs, ornaments, hot cocoa kits, etc in the past and I am looking for some fresh ideas. If you could help that would be great!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2006

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 15, 2006

I found a cute ornament at oriental trading.com

Also we are going to make candle holders for the parents. Using baby food jars you can have them glue on different colored tissue paper but this year I am going to make snowmen ones. Each child will dip their pointer finger in white paint and will make 3 dots for a snowman all around the jar. When it is dry I give them different colored Sharpies and they draw on hat, arm, buttons and a face. You can also add glitter around the top of the jar. Then I put in a small candle and your finished.

5. Myname

Myname Comrade

Nov 15, 2006

on the link pointed above combine two projects into one. Use their hands, instead of making the weath, make the antlers on the reigndeer with tracings of their hands.

6. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Nov 15, 2006

palm tree roodolf the red nosed reindeer

ok, since you may have access to palm trees I'm telling you this craft we made once when I was a girl scout, take the shaggy usually left over part of a palm branch if you have old ones that blow off its a little less than a foot long, and if you pick it up it looks like 2 antlers and a point, we hot glued those satin red christmas ornament balls with the plastic circle hanger part removed for the nose. I don't remember what kind of eyes but I think we had huge google eyes. Glue a hanger on the back I wish I could show you a picture. The part I'm describing isn't the palm part its the fuzzy reddish/brownish part.

7. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Nov 15, 2006

I have the class illustrate a calendar with simple drawings (like January is always snowmen...and a kid who can't draw yet will make dots on the page to be the snowflakes), and I copy and bind them for all of the parents. Each kid decorates his/her own cover. The parents like that all kids had a part of making it, and it's a nice keepsake of the year. I just get my calendars from Microsoft Publisher.
    Kim

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 15, 2006

I LOVE that idea! I am partial to snowmen, so that is what we'll be making. Now I just have to find enough baby food jars! Thanks for sharing!:angel:

9. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 15, 2006

I did this last year, but on ornaments and used their whole hand to make a bunch of snowmen. They turned out really cute!

10. msaly

msaly Comrade

Nov 15, 2006

kinderkids- ask parents who have babies to save their jars. Or find a center(if yours doesnt) that has an infant room and ask them to donate them.

we make snowman snow globes. Take a baby food jar fill it with water, and fake snow(you can get it at walmart, or even use small white rocks like you put in a fish tank). Hot Glue a small snowman, tree, angel, santa anything really(you can get at the dollar store) to the inside of the lid, wait until dry then put the lid on and hot glue it closed

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 15, 2006

I sent out a note today in our school newsletter asking for jars!:)
    I like the snow globe idea too! Maybe if I get enough jars, we can make both! CUTE!:angel:

12. star9305

star9305 Rookie

Nov 15, 2006

A few years ago my 3-5 year old made a calendar for their parents. I typed a poem at the top of the page (A snowman poem for January, a valentine poem for Feb.) and then we painted my students hands and place their hands into different shapes to resemble the poem (they painted the open part of their fist to make a snowman and painted it on the paper 3 times.) My parents loved that it was their hand print in different ways and a returning parent with younger siblings has already told me that they would really like one again.

13. ArizonaTeacher

ArizonaTeacher Rookie

Nov 15, 2006

That sounds like a great idea. Do you happed to remember the different pictures you made out of the handprints for each month? Or the poems used? I would like to do this project, so if you have any other details, I would really appreciate it.

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 15, 2006

Funny about the baby food candle gift...I am doing that one this year, but just with green and red tissue paper. Don't you use liquid starch to dip the paper in though?

15. star9305

star9305 Rookie

Nov 15, 2006

I have a copy of the poems and a copy of the calendar at school. I will bring it home tomorrow and give you all of the details on how I positioned the hands.

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 15, 2006

Does anyone just dip the tissue paper in liquid starch and then layer it around the jar? You said you use glue? Let me know, o.k? I don't want to do these wrong. I have another craft idea coming from Oriental Trading, so may be doing two gifts! Should be fun though. The cutest thing we ever made was a wooden Christmas tree. I had about 8 wooden lengths of wood cut and layered them as a tree, and glued them in place with wood glue. Then, the kids painted them with green tempera. After they dried, they dotted the tree with Q tips dipped in colorful tempera so they looked like little lights or ornaments.

17. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2006

Grammy, I have done those baby food jars before and I just use regular school glue and then after they are done putting the tissue on I put a layer of glue over it. Works just the same if you ask me.

18. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Nov 16, 2006

http://www.littlegiraffes.com/teacherpage.html You will find poems and hand print designs. Also lots of other great ideas.

Recipe books with the students favorite recipe. Have high school computer class type up the books for you.

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2006

Thanks, Jenpooh!

20. constructivist

constructivist Rookie

Nov 19, 2006

I teach four year olds too! :) We ordered foam picture frames from the discount school suppy company. Each child is going to decorate a frame and complete it with a cute picture of him/herself.

21. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 19, 2006

We, too, are making pictures. I'm taking pictures of each child in a santa hat. Then, we are placing them on a circle cut from poster board. The kids are gluing little red and blue pompoms around the circle for a frame. Cute and easy!!!! My (14-year old) son made one in Pre-K. I use it as a tree ornament!!

22. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Nov 19, 2006

Would you send this to me as well if you are emailing it?

Thanks!

23. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 21, 2006

Bath salts--I saw this on TV and thought it would be easy--I don't have a recipe, but a search should find several.

The picture frame idea--I use an old puzzle, spray paint the pieces, and glue on to the frame. I make a frame of 4 popsicle sticks.

I have also had a nice photo taken of the child, in a staged snow scene and given that as a gift.

Bake something. This is one of my favorites and both the kids and parents love it.

24. star9305

star9305 Rookie

Nov 21, 2006

Arizona Teacher and Ms. Ann, sorry that I haven't posted the calendar but I have been at home with the stomach flu and the file with the calendar is at school. I will post it next Monday after I go back to school.

25. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Nov 21, 2006

No worries, Star. I got the one off of littlegiraffes.com and have already started on them. :)

Thanks so much and take care of yourself!!!

26. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 21, 2006

I love the calendar, just looks like it takes a lot of time.......and I don't know where I'd find it. WOuld love to do that if I could find the time.....it is a nice keepsake!

27. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Nov 21, 2006

That's why I am starting now! :) I figure if I can get handstamping in each day as they come into school we should be done by Christmas break. It's going to take a lot of time lengthwise but really only about 10 minutes out of each day.

I already have all of the copies made and broken down as well as the paint in the room and ready for stamping. Now follow up with me in 3 weeks and see where we are. LOL! :D

28. Love2shop

Love2shop Rookie

Nov 22, 2006

Star thanks for the calendar idea.....

Hescollin thanks for the site for the poems, it looks amazing.

I can't wait to do this....

29. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 22, 2006

Grammy, When I do this, I add water to the glue so it is easier to put on. I find the glue a little too thick.

30. srh

srh Devotee

Nov 23, 2006

About snow globes...

Remember to add a drip of glycerin to the water. That is what keeps the "snow" moving around.

31. wildbrenn

wildbrenn New Member

Nov 26, 2006

Love that!

I agree! How cute! Thanks for the idea.

32. wildbrenn

wildbrenn New Member

Nov 26, 2006

Yes you do dip the tissue paper in liquid starch.

33. MissWilliams

MissWilliams Rookie

Nov 26, 2006

At the preschool level, I've sometimes had difficulty with some of OT's kits for all the kiddos. But they ARE cute.

My families love items with handprints too. I use uncolored playdough in an aluminum pie tin-when they place their hands in the center, and then you use Plaster of Paris, you have a handprint where you can even see lines on the palm.

These have been crowd pleasers for years.:)

34. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 26, 2006

Oh, thanks for the tip! Now I will have to get some glycerin.....anyone know where you can buy that? Hobby Lobby?

35. MissWilliams

MissWilliams Rookie

Nov 26, 2006

Most places with a cake decorating aisle. Michaels, Ben Franklin, Joannes, etc.:) :)

36. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 26, 2006

Thanks MissWilliams! As you can see......I've never had to buy that before!:p :thanks:

37. MissWilliams

MissWilliams Rookie

Nov 26, 2006

You're welcome. I've had to find it before. Have fun!!:p

38. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Nov 26, 2006

I love the handprint calendar, I want to do it with my kids this year. The only thing is the only 2 ones that I have found to go off of have Christmas-y things for December that I can't use. I have the snowflake poem for January and was hoping to do a snowman for December- does anyone know of a short and sweet poem that would work with my snowmen? Thanks! :love:

39. Weaver

Weaver Rookie

Nov 27, 2006

Star, I would appreciate the same information on the calendars,poems and handprints. What a Awesome idea, thanks!

40. missthompson

missthompson Rookie

Nov 28, 2006

41. pkteach

pkteach New Member

Dec 4, 2006

Cinnamon Ornament

As gifts for parents of my Pre-K children, I have each child make a hand ornament made from a cinnamon/apple sauce mixture. I scoop out about 1/2 cup of the mixture on a piece of wax paper and have each child roll their out with a rolling pin. The dough should be at least 1/2 inch thick. Place the child's hand on top of the dough (a wet hand or oiled hand will not stick). Next use a plastic knife or paper clip to 'trace' the hand. Remove excess dough and put a small hole in the top of the middle finger for the string (attached after the hand is dry). I also use the paper clip to write the child's name and year in the middle of the hand. Let dry. You may have to flip the ornament after 24 hours to allow it to dry all the way through. Parents love the gift. I have been teaching 5 years and this year I had a parent come up to me and tell me they still have the ornament her child made in my class and that it is the most cherished gift she received.