Christmas presents for families? Ornaments?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by WaProvider, Nov 5, 2011.

1. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 5, 2011

Just got back from Hobby Lobby with the makings of the Swirl-the-paint-in-the-glass-ornament project and a blank door hanger that I hope we will paint seasonally and add a Family/Last name to for the gift.

However, we haven't opened any of this.....what are you planning.

3. pabef

pabef Comrade

Nov 12, 2011

This is an idea I have done in the past. I ask the parents to gather items from the bottom of the toy box like legos, barbie shoes, broken pieces from toys, and puzzle pieces. I ask them to bring as many as they can in a ziploc bag labeled with the child''s name. I purchase 9 inch styrefoam cones and hot glue them to small plastic bowls. I let the children help me select the toys they want to place on the cone and where. I hot glue them. When the tree is covered I glue a star shaped eraser on top and glue some mardi gras beads around for garland. The children help me spray paint them gold. They are really cute. I try to encourage the parents to send items the children have really played with and I call it a memory tree.

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 12, 2011

Oh, that sounds lovely!

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2011

:unsure: I don't. We do a family night potluck where they also make a variety or ornaments. I am afraid to say it is terribly product oriented, unlike my usual crafts. I'm a little embarrassed :eek: about it now but it has become a tradition the families loved. I shared my feelings with a parent and she looked back in my old files, took them home and prepared everything so I wouldn't change my mind and not do it. :wow: How can I turn down an offer like that?

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2011

What is Hobby Lobby and why don't we have them?!

7. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Nov 12, 2011

Hobby Lobby is heaven on earth! :) It is like a Michaels or JoAnns but has way more decorative items for the home. It has very "themed" items, so if you were decorating a western room for a kid, they would have posters, signs, baskets, etc in that theme.

8. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Nov 12, 2011

My favorite Christmas craft was making candle votives out of baby food jars, tissue paper, watered down glue, and clear glitter.

9. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Nov 12, 2011

Don't forget that they alternate 50% off sales between decorations and frames. :)

10. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 12, 2011

We think so alike! I just sent those home for Harvest/Halloween! LOL!

11. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Nov 12, 2011

When I was redecorating my bedroom and bathroom, I got all my decorations for 50% off. The best was I got crystal- like perfume containers for $10. I paid almost $30 for the same kind at Z Gallerie.

12. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Nov 12, 2011

It is a fun craft! :thumb: I've also heard that holiday napkins work well in place of the tissue paper.

13. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Nov 13, 2011

We make a cute puzzle wreath ornament. I die-cut a capital letter O on tag board/card stock. The children glue (Elmer's) small puzzle pieces (picture side down) around the O making sure they overlap some of them. When dry, they paint them with green paint with a little liquid glue added. The can sprinkle glitter on at this time. When the paint is dry, they can add other decorations such as small red beads for berries, small gold-foiled stars and ribbon looped through to hang.

14. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Nov 13, 2011

This year we'll make hand print ornaments. Very simple -- hand print on poster board, sprinkle glitter on, laminate. Last year we made stars out of twigs hot glued together. The kids painted glue and glitter on them. They were sort of fragile, but very pretty.

15. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Nov 14, 2011

This is so totally product.... but I love making reindeer feet cards to go along with the gift. I trace the kids foot on brown paper, have them do handprints in black paint which we cut out and attach them to the footprint they become the antlers, red pom-pom for a nose and wiggly eyes.

On the inside I usually have the kids dictate something about winter/their family that is funny/cute

16. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 14, 2011

I used to do a lot of cookies in a jar.

17. missnaebay

missnaebay Rookie

Nov 15, 2011

love this idea:wub: