Christmas present ideas to give my kids?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jsais, Nov 29, 2011.

1. jsais

jsais Rookie

Nov 29, 2011

I would like to give my second graders a little present for Christmas that doesn't cost too much. Any ideas?

3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 29, 2011

In the christmas section, our walmart has little christmas presents that would be easy to give out to the kids. They have things like pencils, erasers, yo-yos, bouncy balls, etc. They come in packs of 10-12 items for only a dollar or two each. I bought some little christmas treat bags (from the same section), and put together a little bag with a pencil, eraser, ball, stencil, candy cane, and a few hershey's kisses. I have 22 students and overall spent about 10 bucks.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2011

I wanted to get away from giving my kids "stuff" so for the past couple of years, I have adopted an animal in the class's name from World Wildlife Foundation. Last year it was a tiger and this year will probably be a polar bear. We have the adoption certificate displayed in the classroom and have done a lot of reading and research about why the animals are in danger.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2011

I give a Scholastic book, a packet of hot chocolate mix, a Little Debbie gingerbread man, a few Hershey's kisses and a shiny pencil in a cellophane gift baggie with ribbon and a tag that says : curl up with a good book.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2011

Usually Scholastic has a bunch of books in December for only $1.

7. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Nov 30, 2011

I melt down a bunch of the broken crayons I've collected and pour them into candy molds. I get each student a small coloring book and that is their gift. I may print coloring pages this year to save money.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 30, 2011

I usually use my Scholastic coupons to buy everyone a book.

However, I LOVE this idea, and since I do a polar bear research project with my class, I am definitely going to do this next year!!

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2011

MissScrimmage--have you used any of these with your students? We participated in a live webcast a few weeks ago.

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 1, 2011

Yes - I did that last year with my grade 6s after our research project. It was fabulous. This year I'm adapting the project to work with 1st graders, so we'll see what I have the stamina for!

11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Dec 1, 2011

I have given out Christmas presents to 3rd graders when I use to teach that grade for over 10 years. The one that they were most excited about are the $1 stuffed animals that I have gotten from Walgreens and from the $1 store. I haven't seen them lately at Walgreens, but sure they are probably at the dollar stores. Even the boys absolutely loved them.

12. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Dec 3, 2011

I just give each child/family a holiday card.

13. meglucy

meglucy Companion

Dec 3, 2011

Brilliant, Mrs. C! I'm going to adopt a polar bear since we'll be reading the Polar Express. Love it. Thanks.

14. queenie

queenie Groupie

Dec 4, 2011

I give dollar stuffed animals every year to my second graders and the ALL love them!

15. Pumpkin83

Pumpkin83 Rookie

Dec 7, 2011

I love the stuffed animal idea if I could find and include a cute poem to go with it. I would love to attach a poem that says something about "this is a buddy you can read to" or "it wants to be read to every night" or something like that. Anyone creative have any ideas for that one?? :D

16. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 7, 2011

I go all out at Christmas time :):

-I take a class picture, and make holiday photo cards that I send out to families.
    -I go through the November and December Scholastic catalogs and put all of the $1 and $2 books into a word document. Each child circles one book they would like, which I "buy" with my bonus points. Costs me nothing!
    -I buy gingerbread man cookies, frosting, and toppings to decorate cookies (this is at the end of our gingerbread unit). I never tell the kids that we're going to do it ahead of time. I get everything ready at recess, and they are always SO excited when they come in and see everything!

17. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Dec 8, 2011

How about something that brings the family together? You could do the cookie recipe in a jar, and the kids would have to work with their parents to make the cookies. I don't think this would be too pricey. All you have to do is pour the ingredients in the jar.

18. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 8, 2011

I amke them a bookmark with a photo of me and the student. I string a few beads to it.

19. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Dec 10, 2011

I purchased Smencils for my kids this year. (The scented pencils.) I bought them at JoAnn's and had a 40% off coupon. Each child will get one. In total it was about $12.