Christmas party ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by herins, Dec 6, 2005.

1. herins

herins Companion

Dec 6, 2005

I am curious about how different teachers arrange class parties. I am trying to plan for my Christmas party, and am looking for ideas. What do you guys do?? How long do you schedule it for? Do you invite parents? How do you get them involved?

Heeeelllllppp meeeee, pleeeeease!

:love:

3. TennesseTeacher

TennesseTeacher Rookie

Dec 6, 2005

On the day of our party, we dismiss at 10:00. Since it is morning, I ask parents to send in $1 each. I use this money to bring biscuits from a fast food place.
    As for time, I always plan on having at least a few students for the whole 2 hours. We usually eat, do gifts, take students' ornaments off the tree, and watch a Christmas video.
    Parents do come to our party. (the ones not at work) You may try having students make an invitation for their parents. I've not done this but I may try it this year.
    Karen

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 7, 2005

I have a mother who is planning ours this year. She's going to set up centers for the kids to go around to. One, they'll make an ornament, another they'll have snacks, and another they'll play a game. It sounds like it will be really nice. We'll see.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 7, 2005

We'll have a sing-along with the whole school then parents can come to the parties if they want to. My party is just going to be cookies and juice and I will already have them packed up and ready to go home so we can all get out of there ASAP.

6. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Dec 7, 2005

I never plan parties. I figure I plan for everything else everyday, I let the parents do it and they love it. They run the ideas by me, I set the time, etc. but they run it. THis year it is going to be through lunch (ordering pizza) and for one hour and 15 min. They usually set up as centers, plus have fun worksheets/stories to share for bored/quick kids.

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 7, 2005

We have a Christmas breakfast in our classrooms. The children help get the tables all decorated and they practice a few songs or a short Christmas play. The whole thing last about an hour because parents have to go back to work. Our breakfast is rolls, coffee and juice and we have drawing for door prize or two.

8. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Dec 7, 2005

I plan for about 1 1/2 hours. We are not allowed to have a Christmas party so we have a Celebration of Winter Lit. (or something like that)
    We divide the grade level up into 4 groups. We have our weekly guest reader read a story (the mitten) while the kids drink hot chocolate, another group decorates a cookie, another group makes a paper mitten and the animals from the story to put inside, the last group will make a cinnamon ornament. I think these are our activities this year. We change them a little every year based on the book we choose. We invite lots of parent volunteers to help.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2005

My class is having a "Book Cafe" on the second last day of school to celebrate our love of books and reading. We will set up some desks in small table groups with festive tablecloths, bring in comfy chairs, pillows, blankets, etc., have hot chocolate and cookies. I have invited the librarian, principal, VP, SERT, etc., to come in and read their favourite holiday picture books to the class. We will spend time reading alone, reading together, listening to stories, and have a book exchange. I always give my kids a book at Christmas, so they can choose their book this day as well. I still have lots of planning to do, but I'm really excited about it!

10. TennesseTeacher

TennesseTeacher Rookie

Dec 8, 2005

We do something similar the last full day before winter break. The students (and teachers) wear PJ's and read for most of the day. We also schedule people to come read to our students. We do some crafts and have some snacks. We have the AR program at our school. This is a free read day when students can read books not on their designated level. It is usually a fun-filled, relaxed day.

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 8, 2005

The last day for us is a half day. We plan a craft to do, some fun games to play and after brunch we chow down. I do everything I can to not encourage parents to come. By 4th and 5th grade the kids really tend to show out when the parents come. I am more than happy to have them any other day, but not party day. We sing carols, tell stories, just have a good time.

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2005

I can't stand how kids act around their parents!!! Totally different than when I have them alone all day.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2005

I so agree; I will be inviting other staff members who work with my students to join us, but not parents.

14. herins

herins Companion

Dec 10, 2005

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have decided a few things for my party. I will have it over lunch and will have a parent arrange to have food sent in. The only thing I want to request is sandwiches cut with a gingerbread man cookie cutter! I will invite parents to come in for an hour, but then I want the last couple of hours alone with the kids. I still have to figure out what we'll do while the parents are there.

Thanks again for your replies.

15. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 10, 2005

We are having a holiday party in the morning. We will have bagels, juice and some fruit and play pin the nose on the snowman. We watch the Polar Express. Have lunch and then we have a school Holiday sing a long thing and go home.

16. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Dec 10, 2005

I invite all of my parents to our Christmas party. This is the only time many of them ever participate in anything that the school does so the kids really enjoy having them there. We start our parties about and hour before school lets out and we have pizza for the kids and all of the treats that the parents bring. We will have holiday movies playing on the school system so they can watch that or just talk with friends. It really is just a free time for the parents and the kids. I do abouslutly no planning. My room mother does all of the party planning for me, it makes it much easier.

17. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 10, 2005

It's nice having a homeroom mother this year, and a couple of parents who volunteer. Last year I had no one and actually had to con my mother into coming to stay with my kids while I went to the staff Christmas party. All the other parties I had to plan myself.