Christmas Parties

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissScrimmage, Dec 15, 2014.

1. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 15, 2014

Does anyone still do Christmas parties at school with their class? What are some of your best tried and true party activities? I'm drawing a blank this year! We're going to watch a movie as a school one afternoon, so I don't want to do a movie for the party.

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Dec 15, 2014

We are doing a hot chocolate bar and a movie this year. Another grade level decorates gingerbread houses.

4. janlee

janlee Devotee

Dec 15, 2014

I am having a "make your own ice cream sundae" party. One mother asked for items to be sent in and she along with 2 other moms are doing it all. Kids will play holiday bingo and I found a simple craft project in the closet that I bought from who knows where. That's it.

5. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Dec 15, 2014

I usually order a craft activity from Oriental Trading Co. for the kids and have supplies available to make holiday cards--the kids love getting a chance to use glitter in school. We have refreshments that parents send in (i.e. chips/cookies/cupcakes) and sometimes I will show a video or just let the kids talk. Either way, they always have a fun time.

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 15, 2014

Yep!

Our activities:
    - Christmas tree game (like toilet paper bride): Click here to see! This is my favorite game. I've done it in first and it's always SO fun!

- Decorating Christmas cookies (I've done this before, but it was all out of pocket $. This year, the parents are donating all the supplies! SO grateful..) Last year in first, I had the kids decorate sugar cones like Christmas trees. That was fun, too.

- Christmas movie (or maybe 2 short ones) and hot chocolate warmed up in the crock pot

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2014

My grade 7 and 8 class is making and decorating gingerbread (graham cracker) houses today. One of the other grade 8 classes is making decorations--pasta angels, clothespin reindeer, etc.

Most of the classes will have a "party" of sorts on Friday afternoon--food, board games, a movie playing in the background.

8. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Dec 16, 2014

Is anybody doing a Hannukah party today?

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Dec 16, 2014

We are only allowed one party, on a date set by the district, which is Friday. My party is not Christmas themed as not all my students celebrate Christmas. I do not have any who celebrate Hannakuh, although we have learned about it this year. My big focus this year has actually been Kwanzaa as one of my student's families has decided to start celebrating it this year. He and his classmates got really excited learning about it, so I've incorporated it into everything we do.

10. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2014

This week I have taken a Christmas book for each day and done activities around it. Monday was the Grinch, today will be the book series the Snowmen, and then Wednesday and Thursday will be The Polar Express with us watching the movie on Thursday afternoon. Friday we will have a half a day, program, party, lunch, home.

11. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Dec 16, 2014

I avoid Christmas parties. Not all families celebrate Christmas, and not all children associate it with happiness. I do have a slower week planned, with more "fun" lessons than usual. On Friday the entire school has a movie in the afternoon. My own children are being overwhelmed with Christmas at school this year, and it's making me nuts!!

12. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Dec 16, 2014

My go-to is ordering empty milk cartons and having parents donate graham crackers, frosting, and candy. The kids would then make mock gingerbread houses.

13. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Dec 16, 2014

I found that students loved to make gingerbread houses when I taught 3rd grade. Just save your milk cartons the day before the party and have a parent helper rinse them out. Then students use graham crackers and regular frosting to make their gingerbread houses. Also, you can have all sorts of candies to use to add to the gingerbread houses. I usually have each student bring in a different item for the party, and it is quite easy for me. The students always have fun with it.

14. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Dec 16, 2014

Oops, I see some others also have the same idea as me in previous posts.

15. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 17, 2014

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 17, 2014

Friday is our Polar Express and pajama day. Administration and specials teachers take all kids for a half hour or so to sing carols and dance. This gives us time to do final prep on our party. I've morphed through the years. This year I'm doing popcorn, drinks, and movies. I've got All sorts of toppings that they can choose between. They'll bring snacks to share, too. A tradition is to watch Mr. Megorium's Magic Emporium and, if time, Annabelle's Wish.

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 18, 2014

It's pretty Christmas-y. Some of the classrooms have Christmas trees and do Secret Santa. We have a "Giving Tree" in the front foyer for our donations to the food bank--last year, we donated over 60 cartons of food and are well on our way to that again. We'll have a big holiday assembly tomorrow with performances, a sing-a-long and a "teacher game" of some sort.

18. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2014

We're having a Grinch themed party and watching the movie. We NEVER ever watch movies so this will be a real treat.

My friend did a pin the nose on olaf game!