Christmas Ornament Ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by applecore, Nov 12, 2011.

1. applecore

applecore Devotee

Nov 12, 2011

Sorry, but it's that time of year again for planning out what we're going to do for Christmas at my school.

I've looked all through A to Z and out in the web for cheap that I can slap a cute little picture of the student on and call it good to send home to their parents. I love glitter, glue, and paint, and I'm willing to spend a few bucks to make it; although I'm partial to our die cut machine and construction paper, so I'd rather not spend when I don't need to. I'm a cheap teacher that likes to recycle and use what we have for kids to make meaningful things. The irony in that sentence makes me laugh:lol:.

Any suggestions?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2011

Little lambs:Trace kids hands on black construction paper. Kids glue cotton balls on palm section, one cotton ball on 'thumb'...glue googly eye on thumb...the other fingers are the legs...tie red ribbon around neck. On back glue a little photo of the kid and write 'Merry Christmas from your little lamb'

EEK...just saw you are grade 3...that kind of changes things...how about apple sauce ornaments or make calendars in the tech lab? I make a family favorites cookbook with my third graders.

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2011

5. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Nov 12, 2011

Snowman ornaments. I do this every year.

Here is a link:

http://www.littlegiraffes.com/christmas.html

Scroll down and the craft is on the right hand side. It is a Handprint Snowman Ornament.

My kids are in 2nd and they love it.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2011

Our kindergarten does the handprints snowmen on votive candle cups.

7. applecore

applecore Devotee

Nov 12, 2011

Thank you for the ideas!

Lambs would be cute, if I could get away with some of the kids willing to think they were cute to for 3rd graders. =] I'll have to share that one with a friend of mine though.

When it comes to OT, my money seems to go too. I like the idea of borrowing the idea.... :) There's some really cute ideas I think I can get away with using construction paper.

Love the handprint idea with the votice candle. I just saw one with a clear or colored glass ornament to put on with a poem attached.... on the A to Z ornament section.

Handprint Snowman Ornament

Paint child's palm and fingers white. Carefully have them hold the blue ball to create the five snowmen. Use a paint marker to make hats, faces, and scarves. Attach a tag with this poem:

These aren't just five snowmen

As anyone can see.

I made them with my hand

Which is a part of me.

Now each year when you trim the tree

You'll look back and recall

Christmas of 2011

When my hand was just this small!

and then I saw the Santa buckets/pails made out of coffee cans. It's a shame I didn't think of that sooner because that would be a great thing to do for the kids....next year.

I'm still looking.

Thank you for sharing your ideas.

8. applecore

applecore Devotee

Nov 12, 2011

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 12, 2011

Those cinnamon/applesauce crafts make the room smell so wonderful!!

10. queenie

queenie Groupie

Nov 13, 2011

The past several years I did something CRAZY. I had the kids spend about 15 minutes EVERY day making an ornament to hang on our classroom tree. They would leave their ornaments on their desks to dry overnight, then every morning as they entered the classroom they would take yesterday's ornament off the tree and put in their cubbies to take home and put the new ornament from their desk on the tree. The kids LOVE making the ornaments and the tree looks different every single day! BUT I just keep remembering all the mess and the planning headaches!! That ended up being around 15 ornaments total...I really want to let the kids do it again this year, but I am almost tempted to have them make four ornaments (one each Monday to hang on the tree all week long!).

At any rate, here are some ornaments we've made in the past...if I think of others I'll post them later.

Paper Airplanes: (kids just make small paper airplanes and decorate them with markers & stickers or glitter glue)

Cinnamon Clay ornaments: (I have the recipe if you want it but we never made these at school because they take 5 days to dry!). http://crafts.kaboose.com/cinnaclay.html

Ice Cream Cone: glue a satin bulb into the top of an ice cream cone- make sure the bulb hanger is on top for hanging. You can decorate the cone with glitter glue. You can also make cupcake ornaments by using cupcake papers instead of the cone..this link might give you some ideas http://www.google.com/search?q=ice+...Q&biw=1024&bih=536&sei=8a6_TueQJ-nu0gG87em-BA

Glue Ornaments: use regular white glue to form a shape on a piece of wax paper. Fill in the shape with glue and sprinkle with glitter. After it dries completely (takes 2 days if lots of glue is used!) peel it carefully off the waxed paper and punch a hole for hanging with ribbon.

Mini Presents: Have kids wrap small boxes with gift wrap (use glue) and decorate with a tiny bow or curled ribbon. Hang these little presents on the tree.

We always do one of those plastic paint it yourself ornaments!

Chenille Wire: Twist two chenille wires around each other and form into a candy cane.

Thread beads on to chenille wires and form into a shape (heart, circle, star, etc.)

Give students chenille wire and let them create their own ornaments.

SALT DOUGH. Works very well and is fun for the kids to make! How to Make Salt Dough-
    Ingredients

•Flour 2 cups
    •Salt 1 cup
    •Warm water 1 cup
    Mix together flour and salt. Then mix in the warm water to form a dough. Allow to dry and use markers or paint to decorate.

Google MAGIC REINDEER FOOD. They can make fancy little bags to hang their reindeer food on the tree until Christmas Eve by placing it in a square of lace or other spare fabric and tying it closed with a pretty ribbon! There are different recipes, but we used Cheerios, oatmeal, and glitter- if you do this with younger kids, you might want to use colored sugar just in case they decide to try it!

Mini Cards: Have students use printer paper or cardstock to make miniature Christmas Cards. Punch a hole in the top corner and hang with ribbon or tinsel. They can use glitter or paint, if you'd like.

Craft Sticks: Google CRAFT STICK ORNAMENTS- kids can form these into different shapes and simply attach with glue. We have done stars and manger shapes with a picture in the middle (we have glued pictures from old Christmas cards as well as small photos of the kids into the shapes. This also works well with a simple square/rectangle shape, obviously, and they can color the sticks with markers or paint them ahead of time or use glitter glue.

Candy Ornaments: You can wrap little styrofoam balls (or even wads of paper) in a piece of wrapping paper and tie each end to make it look like a piece of wrapped candy.

Google CANDY CANE REINDEER...you can make cute little reindeer ornaments out of a candy cane, some pom poms, chenille wire & googly eyes!

I'll let you know if I remember any more!

11. applecore

applecore Devotee

Nov 13, 2011

Thank you for your plethora of awesome and amazing ideas! You're brave to do that many and go through the process---I would have been done at #2 project for the week. I'm impressed with your strength and determination!---because I have none in that area to do 14, let alone 3 that I'm planning on doing.

From your list I'm able to pick out a few that seem reasonable and easy enough to do with the time that I have to get my kids to work on an assembly line for their ornaments to be completed in record time. I apprently will only have a max of 3 days to get these little beauties completed.

Thank you thank you!

12. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Nov 15, 2011

I really like doing crafts with the students' pictures on them. Do any of you have good ornament ideas with pictures on them for the kids to make?

13. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 15, 2011

I like the puzzle piece wreath ornaments...ask for old puzzles that are missing pieces...glue together in a cirlcle, paint green, red dots for holly, clue pic in middle.

14. bondo

bondo Cohort

Nov 15, 2011

queenie - thanks for the extensive list of ideas. It should keep me going for years! :)