Christmas music and songs - to offend or not to offend?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by thelonius, Dec 11, 2006.

1. thelonius

thelonius Rookie

Dec 11, 2006

I am a SEIT teacher wherein I provide special instruction, support and assistance to students with developmental disabilities either in their respective home(s) and/or school(s). In this situation, I am providing my services to a child who is integrated in a general education classroom at a nursery school, located in Elmhurst, NY. I am obligated, under contract to provide my services to this child, through an agency not affiliated with the school.

Early morning last week, I decided to take a break from teaching my student to use the restroom, when a parent spoke to me in the school hallway. She didn't seem hostile, but she voiced out her concerns regarding the blasting of Christmas music in one of the classrooms that it could be heard in the hallway. I told her that, perhaps, they were just getting into the holiday spirit of things. The parent claimed that while she was not against the singing or playing of holiday music, she was cautious about the songs with references to Jesus, Holy Ghost, and the like. She also added that in a school with children and parents from various ethnicities and religious backgrounds, someone might get offended by it. Since, I really needed to go to the men's room, I simply told her that I understood her concern, however since I'm not an employee of the school, it would be best to address the issue with either the principal or its owner, and left.

At lunchtime, I casually spoke to the teacher of the classroom, and informed her about the concerns that the parent spoke to me about earlier. To make a long story short, the teacher took it personally. I haven't seen the parent since, but almost everyday, the teacher would blast Christmas music even more from her classroom. Sometimes, to the point of being blunt about it by inviting me to sing-a-long (aloud) with her and accompany her with the guitar during lunchtime -- yes, holiday music with reference to Jesus, Santa Claus, and the like.

Somehow, it seems like the above-mentioned "tauntings" are directed towards me, and I feel like I should've just kept my mouth shut.

Now, I am not against Christmas music either. I am a devoted Presbyterian, and I am a member of the praise team in my church. I enjoy listening, singing to holiday songs in the comfort of my home or while driving my car.

If the above-mentioned teacher continues what she's doing, it seems that she is asking for trouble -- whatever that might be. I simply turn the other cheek, pretend that did not see or hear anything, and walk away. What would you do if you were in this situation?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 11, 2006

If the school policy allows this, then I would join in the singing and not let the teacher get to me.

4. bcope

bcope New Member

Dec 11, 2006

This sounds like a teacher who is overly sensitive. I would have appreciated the heads-up. Do not let this one teacher keep you from doing kindnesses (and I do think this was a very nice thing to do) in the future. Most of us appreciate any help we can get in dealing with touchy issues.

5. kburen

kburen Cohort

Dec 12, 2006

I say if the principal is fine with it then so be it. My principal is great about it, as are most of our parents. We do not have a very large population of students who do not celebrate christmas in my school so that may have something to do with it. I had a student last year who was Jewish and even this student was not offended by the christmas music being played or "Christmas" being discussed...They joined in the fun and discussed their own celebrations.

6. totallybusy

totallybusy Rookie

Dec 12, 2006

This sensitivity to others is crazy. In north America the majority of people celebrate Christmas. We do not do it to offend others. We do it to feel good about ourselves. It is a personal choice. If I went to another country during their festive time I wouldn't feel offended by my surroundings I would want to learn more about it and enjoy!
    These people just want something to shout about. Our money has In God we trust written on it but I am sure they pass that message through their hands. I am Christian and love Christmas but I have learned and hope my kids learn about many other Religions and their celebrations. I'm not scared of them. In fact I am intriqued by some. It seems these complainers are afraid of Christmas or something. But if it wasn't Christmas it would be something else!

7. Mr. M

Mr. M Rookie

Dec 12, 2006

Shoot, if I were a female nursery school teacher in New York, I'd say that teacher down the hall might be me.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 12, 2006

I think you've done all you can. You voiced a concern shared by a parent. If the parent chooses to pursue it further, it won't involve you. You did the teacher a favor, and she chose not to take it as such. Oh, well!

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 12, 2006

In a polite and professional manner, I would have told the parent to speak to the teacher if she felt the need, and would have left it at that. If it genuinely concerned her all that much, she probably would have in the first place. I don't interfere when I hear complaints from a parent involving another teacher (then that becomes gossip). I ALWAYS direct them to the source of the complaint and mind my own business.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2006

Well, I don't really think they have the option of NOT using American money. :D They ALL have that saying on it.

Also, I think that teacher is being a bit immature. You were just passing by information that you heard. I don't see why she is reacting the way she is. Does she play this music very loudly?? How do the students learn with such loud musc blaring?