Christmas Movies in Class

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by TeacherApr, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 16, 2010

Apparently there are major copywrite laws regarding showing Christmas Movies (or any movies) in the classroom. We were given a site that shows this but problem is, all these movies are $30 in the store if you don't have them and about 1/4 are rated G (we can only show G rated movies).

Does anyone have other information that may support being able to show the classics like Rudolph, Santa Claus is Coming to Town and Frosty? I just have a hard time believing that only 15 Christmas movies are only able to be shown in classrooms....

Input?

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 16, 2010

I showed Frosty today while we worked on some art for the Christmas concert... I used Youtube, and my assumption has always been if there were serious copyright issues, it would be taken down from Youtube... especially since it was posted four years ago.

4. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 16, 2010

nice....and good idea! = )

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 16, 2010

Since every single one of my students probably has a purchased copy of Frosty the Snowman at home, I think I'm covered if the MPAA goons come after me.

6. Ms.Science

Ms.Science Rookie

Dec 16, 2010

Now I'm not a lawyer, so I may be wrong. :D But I though in public schools you could show copyrighted material that is legally bought or rented. (The teacher must be present at all times.)

The American Library Association says:

7. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 16, 2010

That's what I always thought, too! However, we were told that Disney is not happy that movies are being shown without their permission. Here is the site we were referred to:
    http://www.movlic.com/k12/holiday.html

8. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Dec 16, 2010

good grief! seriously the fun gets sucked out of everything!! I show movies!!

9. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 16, 2010

lol tell me about it. I've just been following the "do it, ask for forgiveness later" routine. Been working so far! Besides, is there really a fellow teacher who would come into my room, see the movie and report me to the movie police? lol I hope not but I guess I should keep track of who may come in and witness it (which should be no one since no one comes into my room...)

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2010

We've shown movies in class. The local video store rents movies to teachers for free. I wouldn't think they would be able to do that if we weren't supposed to be watching them.

11. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Dec 16, 2010

Someone in my district got in trouble several years ago. I did not work at my current school at the time and am unsure of the details; from what I've heard, a teacher's husband worked for Disney, and apparently reported that a movie had been shown in another class at the school. I'm not sure how it was resolved, but I will ask my coworker, who was working at the school when it happened.

12. hatima

hatima Devotee

Dec 16, 2010

I was told I can show a G movie as long as it is not Disney, for the copyrights. I think that is silly! I'm not charging the kids money to watch the movie, it is a reward for working so hard. Sure my class is tough, but they deserve the treat. I'm gonna show them The Polar Express. I brought in two different G movies. All 17 voted for Polar Express and asked me to read them the story first.

13. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 16, 2010

Yeah, Disney is a bit snippy about copyrights.

The MPAA wouldn't harass you if you showed it to the students in your class, because they aren't jerks like disney can be :p

14. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 17, 2010

Wow, who knew? I have been showing Christmas movies in my room for years and never gave this a thought.:whistle:

15. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 17, 2010

I don't get it.

If I'm a teacher and wish to show movies to my class, there's a good chance that I've purchased the movie. Now, if they were to really crack down on teachers showing movies in class, wouldn't that cause teachers to stop purchasing movies?

Moreover, wouldn't my showing a movie to my students cause some of those students to go out and purchase the movie?

It just seems that prohibiting teachers from showing movies is counterproductive in terms of business.

16. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 17, 2010

I was talking to a coworker today and I think there was some miscommunication or misinterpreting of a movie license. We have a license displayed in our lobby area but it's for WHOLE SCHOOL MOVIES AKA THE PUBLIC. Not for classrooms....whatever. I'm showing FROSTY! LOL REPORT ME!

17. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 17, 2010

In my opinion, almost any classroom use by a teacher satisfies conditions 2-5. As for 1 and 6, I think if you can tie the video into any kind of academic lesson whatsoever, you're good to go.

1. The film must be shown as part of the instructional program.

2. The film must be shown by students, instructors, or guest lecturers, and can only be shown to students and educators.

3. The film must be shown either in a classroom or other school location devoted to instruction.

4. The film must be shown either in a face‐to‐face setting or where students and teacher(s) are in the same building or general area.

5. The film shown must be a legitimate copy, with the copyright notice included.

6. Films or videos may not be used for entertainment or recreation.

www.xavier.edu/library/help/copyright_video.pdf

Of course, there's still my one big nagging question: WHAT IF NEARLY EVERY KID IN THE CLASS HAS PURCHASED A LEGAL COPY OF WHATEVER YOU ARE SHOWING.

18. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 17, 2010

nice, thanks for the link and info. In my world, I always think and work one step ahead with most anything so I'll keep this in my faves just.....in case heh

19. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 17, 2010

OK, let's all do this.

Pick a movie. Tie it into a lesson on something, anything.

I'll start. Frosty fits in with a science lesson on weather.

20. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 17, 2010

I'm just confused as to why showing a movie to the class would violate copyright in any way. What if I read a book to my class--does that violate copyright laws?

Rudolph fits into a character ed. lesson on bullying.

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2010

Polar Express--author's purpose, narrative structure.

22. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 17, 2010

Rudolph-- name calling, wouldn't allow him to play games. Lesson- community, we are all different.

23. hac711

hac711 Companion

Dec 19, 2010

oh my...of all the things to complain about, and people are turning in educators for showing the Little Mermaid (or what ev). Disney needs to really get over themselves...it is almost free advertising for them!

24. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2010

Miracle on 34th street - I had my students identify persuasive arguments, counterarguments and rebuttals.

On a related note, the elementary school in my district had a Scooby Doo theme in the new building and painted Scooby Doo murals on some of the walls and used the clipart on handouts, etc. They got nailed for it. They fixed it by painting over one of Scooby's spots on his back.

25. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 19, 2010

Ok, I really need to dig out an old email, but it was at the old school. I don't know that I saved it. I emailed Disney because at the time there was a rumor that they were requesting parents turn in teachers who showed Disney movies in class. I emailed them and said how I hoped it wasn't true. I got an immediate response that they had no problems with teachers using their movies as long as they tied to the teaching and that there was no money being made. I show a lot of old Disney (Pollyanna, The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, etc). My kids love seeing the old ones.

26. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Dec 19, 2010

Our district has interpreted the laws for us like this: We can't broadcast movies to the whole school over the schoolwide TV or show movies at a movie night without purchasing a license. Teachers are allowed to show movies in their own classrooms to their own class. (Of course, if it is during class time, the movie must match up with curriculum objectives.)

27. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 19, 2010

Awesome!!!!

And that's how I have interpreted this movie license that our school has.
    I think there are just some misinterpretations and/or communication. Either that or it's a way to "scare" us from not showing movies to our class...

28. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 19, 2010

no movies for us -- district wide :(

And YouTube is banned as well.

29. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Dec 19, 2010

I sure hope you don't work in a public school. Non-secular movies should not be shown in a public school.

30. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 19, 2010

And.....who made this law? These movies have NOTHING to do with religion whatsoever. Friggin Frosty??? seriously?! It's not like I'm showing the birth of Jesus Christ.

Please get your facts straight and read through the posts before opinion statements are made like this. I hope you don't work for a law firm because you would lose your cases.

31. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 19, 2010

Secular movies aren't to be shown in public schools??? Really??? So is it your opinion that only religious films should be shown in public schools, or that no films should be shown in schools?

32. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Dec 19, 2010

I have corrected my post. I meant non-secular. It is my opinon that religious films or films that celebrate a particular religion have no place in a public school. There is a little thing called the seperation of church and state.

33. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Dec 19, 2010

Rudolph and Santa have everything to do with the modern perception of Christmas. Who made this law? It is called the United States Constitution and a little thing called the seperation of Church and State. All you need is one non-Christian parent to complain and your district is looking at lots of problems.

I read the entire thread and absolutely stand by MY OPINION.

BTW, did you not say "Christmas Movies" in your original post?

34. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 19, 2010

Many movies are called "christmas" movies only because they are shown during this time. Rudolph NOR Santa is mentioned in church...they have nothing to do with religion. They are called traditions based on various countries.

If my class celebrates Christmas at 100% then there is nothing wrong with it. If I had a student that didn't, I would discuss it with the parent and then ALSO see if the student and/or parent wanted to share whatever THEY celebrate (Hannukah, Kwanzaa or whatever) during this time to make it a LEARNING experience.

You are reading FAR to into things. We even have a grade level that does "Christmas Around the World" where students LEARN how different people celebrate this time of year.

p.s. Our principal did say MERRY CHRISTMAS to all the kids at our assembly last week and yes there WERE parents there.

This post has NOTHING to do with the minority and "offending" people but thanks for bringing that out. Saying "Happy Kwanzaa" or "Happy Hanukkah" offends me so please don't say that. Oh wait.....I'll lose because I'll be thought of as not being "sensitive"...whatever.

35. Ms.Science

Ms.Science Rookie

Dec 20, 2010

The website you gave me says almost the exact same thing. :D

http://www.movlic.com/k12/faq.html#1

36. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 20, 2010

If we're allowed to watch The Miracle of Life in high school, we should be able to watch friggin Frosty the Snowman.

The miracle of life was a.... very graphic movie. Although it had parts that everyone in class would laugh at (Male genitalia being seen with a thermal camera, for instance)

37. Ms.Science

Ms.Science Rookie

Dec 20, 2010

Quick question: Where in the US Constitution does it mention the separation of church and state?

38. Ms.Science

Ms.Science Rookie

Dec 20, 2010

There is no way to not offend someone. Your never going to make everyone happy. (I wish!)

39. Ms.Science

Ms.Science Rookie

Dec 20, 2010

Should students be able to watch historical movies that mention religions? Should we censor history?

40. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 20, 2010

That move made me not ever want to have children. Oops, it happened but 19 yrs AFTER I watched The Miracle of Life lol

Also, I remember being told as a teacher to NOT copy something from TV and show it in your classroom because THAT is violating copyright laws.

41. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Dec 20, 2010

The First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution says government shall make no establishment of religion. The government includes public entities such as schools. Showing a non-secular film without mention of other religions is an establisment of religion in that Public School classroom. If you would like to have a first ammendment debate in this thread, bring it on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.