Christmas Menu

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherSandra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 12, 2010

Have any of you already made one out?
    I'm sticking with my tried & true traditinoal menu:

Ham, scalloped potatoes, GB casserole, salad, rolls and for dessert something easy and light...jello w/fruit.

what are you serving this Christmas?

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 12, 2010

We pretty much do a repeat of our Thanksgiving meal. The only thing that is different is dessert, which will consist of a lot of chocolate, lol.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 12, 2010

Gosh, we are going to my daugher's house. I guess I better consult with her. I will end up cooking it anyway.

5. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Dec 12, 2010

Our family is hispanic, we do the traditional family meal of Menudo, Tamales, Tamales, and more Tamales. Some years we have a ham, but we haven't changed it in forever. We do Menudo Christmas Eve after mass, and then CHristmas Day everyone just brings a side to go with the Tamales.

I enjoy it, our bigger meal is Thanksgiving though.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 13, 2010

I could eat Chinese food, which is one of my favorite cuisines! In fact, I think we're going to have that.

7. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Dec 13, 2010

Oooooohhhh tamales!! I worked in a school district that was primarily Hispanic, and would buy home made tamales at Christmas time from some of the moms. Yum!

This year I think we are having lasagna.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2010

Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, and I'm not sure what else.

It will be just the 5 of us, plus the 2 moms, so I don't need to go crazy.

I ordered myself a chocolate fountain from Santa, so I'll make sure I have lots of fruit, pretzels and pound cake on hand for dessert. (I found wooden skewers yesterday and picked them up, along with some chocolate chips.)

And I'll have some cookies and cake on hand.

Breakfast for any holiday is always Pillsbury cinnamon buns. They're quick and delicious and the kids love the tradition.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2010

Christmas dinner will be at my sister's this year--she offered to cook since we are leaving for Florida on the 26th. It will, I'm sure, be the traditional turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and sides. My brother-in-law makes wicked mince tarts, so I hope those are on the menu. I'll be taking appetizers--cheeses, proscuitto, figs, etc.

10. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Dec 13, 2010

Baked ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, deviled eggs, cranberry sauce, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, and buttermilk biscuits. Leftovers for days!

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 13, 2010

I am building our menu around the wicked good scalloped potatoes we had at Thanksgiving!

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2010

I remember you posting about your scalloped potatoes--I think I'll make them this weekend when my sister comes for dinner.

13. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Dec 13, 2010

Prime rib (cooked in a rock salt case with rosemary), twice baked red potatoes, green salad, garlic bread, caprese salad, and birthday cake for Jesus for dessert. I might also do some marinated mushrooms to go with dinner.

We have appetizers, dips, and finger foods to eat all morning and afternoon of Christmas day.

14. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Dec 13, 2010

Christmas Eve: prime rib, mandarin salad, scalloped potatoes, rolls, asparagues, shrimp cocktail, smoked salmon and crackers

Christmas Day: Venison Roast, Pork Roast, scalloped potatoes, rolls, fruit salad, vegetable pasta salad, cheese and crackers, nuts

15. Daisie

Daisie Rookie

Dec 13, 2010

This year my BF and I are having both our families over for dinner (it's the first time we're hosting- this will either be great, or something resembling that Christmas Vacation movie:rolleyes:)

This is our game plan for Christmas dinner (still subject to change, of course):

The meal itself:
    -Roasted turkey with homemade cranberry sauce, stuffing and gravy.
    -Roasted potato medallions (my grandmother's traditional recipe, hopefully I can do it justice...)
    -Mixed vegetables
    -Homemade bread (this is the only time of the year when I actually bake bread- again, courtesy of my grandmother's recipe)
    -Wine: My sister's bringing the wine, since she's the conoisseur in the family!

For dessert:
    -Trifle dessert (made with poundcake, cherry jello, mandarin oranges and Cool Whip- ooh the calories :p)
    -My infamous homemade gingerbread cookies (debating whether of not to try sugar cookies again- the last couple of years they've been somewhat of a trainwreck. We'll see what happens)
    -White hot chocolate - I sampled some of this at my BF's Christmas party, and I thought it was so good that I bought some for myself ;)
    -Regular hot chocolate for those who like the traditional stuff
    -Egg nog with nutmeg (complete with Captain Morgan's spiced rum:p)
    -I'll probably buy one of those charity fruitcakes for those so inclined to have a piece, though I'll admit, I'm not a fan of fruitcakes

16. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 14, 2010

For Christmas eve, my nana always makes prime rib and crab cakes and then everyone brings various sides.

On Christmas Day, my mom usually makes roast chicken, but sometimes we have a pork or beef roast or turkey. Last year we had prime rib again - no complaints here! We usually have carrots in cream sauce. Always cookies for dessert.

BF and I do brunch, which will be scrapple quesadillas, cheesy hash browns in the crockpot, scrambled eggs, and pumpkin apple muffins.

17. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 14, 2010

Wow, I would love to fix prime rib for dinner. Do regular grocery stores carry prime rib, or do you have to order it?

18. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 14, 2010

No idea since we will be at my husbands aunts house.

We will have breakfast with my inlaws at our house. We will have Belgian waffles with fresh fruit, whipped cream and probably taylor ham or bacon on the side, my inlaws love breakfast meat.
    Last year I made an awesome french toast bake which everyone loved.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2010

Sister cooks an awesome straight from Food and Wine magazine gourmet meal on Christmas eve. Mom does a lunch/brunch on Christmas day and I do dessert thAt day at my house...I'm thinking one of those towering profiterole stacks with caramel swirled all over it...

20. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Dec 14, 2010

You all are making me hungry! I want to come to some of your houses :).

21. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Dec 15, 2010

Enchiladas, beans, rice...I LOVE my mom's enchiladas! :) It's a bit un-traditional to most, but I am half-mexican...so it works! Plus, I'm not a big Thanksgiving dinner person...so that one day is enough turkey for me!

22. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Dec 15, 2010

Yes, you can get them from a grocery store. I would talk to the butcher and make sure you reserve the size you want. The rule is 1/2 to 1 lb meat per person. I'm serving 10 adults, so I have a 13 lb roast ordered. If you have a meat market in your area, they usually have better quality beef than the grocery stores. I recommend getting the meat cut off the ribs, then string tied back onto the ribs. Some places will place garlic cloves in the meat for you. IF you like the prime rib that way, have them do it. If you don't make sure you state you don't want it studded with garlic. I usually season the meat with lots of black pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning, and cook it in rock salt. I can give you a recipe for cooking it in rock salt (it is not at all salty, and makes the meat so tender and juicy) if you want.

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 18, 2010

I am not cooking for Christmas for Christmas eve dinners but I will be bringing some appetizers and desserts. Flylady had THIS site posted on Facebook and there are some great ideas.