Christmas Gifts

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by kjteaches2, Nov 7, 2007.

1. kjteaches2

kjteaches2 New Member

Nov 7, 2007

I am new to 2nd grade and was wondering if anyone had a good idea for Christmas gifts for this age group?

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Nov 7, 2007

I use my Scholastic points and buy books. Each student gets two. I also put together a hot chocolate baggie to go along with the books. I buy Christmas cellophane bags from the dollar store. In the bag I put a Christmas or winter scent mug, two hot chocolate packets, a candy cane, and a small sandwich bag of marshmallows. I put the books and baggie into a larger bag, tie with raffia and a gift tag and a poem I made up. Very inexpensive. Total cost for all about $4-$5 dollars. (I always hunt for the mugs at garage sales, rummage sales and stock up.)

4. taraes1982

taraes1982 Rookie

Nov 8, 2007

I do the same with the scholastic points. You can also just buy books from scholastic if you don't have any points yet...they have a lot of books for a dollar. I usually get one of those cellophane bags....put in a book from scholastic, then add a christmas pencil, a dollar store ornament with their name written on the back, and a candy cane. Very cheap. If you buy everything at the dollar store, and just your points for the books, it's just a couple bucks per student.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2007

I do about the same- Scholastic book, hot chocolate pack, some Hershey's kisses...Little Debbie makes the cutest Gingerbread men snacks. I buy several boxes as soon as I see them in the store! (they sell out quick) and pop one of those in the bag with the book and hot choc too.

Snowman soup is a cute idea too- look here:

http://www.craftsayings.com/projects/seasonal/winter/snowman_soup/index.shtml

6. taraes1982

taraes1982 Rookie

Nov 12, 2007

Last year in the mall, I saw this cute, clay looking ornaments that were being personalized with a sharpie or paint pen, then being sold for 15 bucks a pop. Well, I just went to the $1 Store (Dollar Tree to be exact) and found some ornaments that looked just like these clay ornaments I saw last year. They were smaller, but just as cute. The best part was....you got two for a $1!!! So I'm going to write my kids names on each one and give it to them for a Christmas Present.....Not bad....whole class for $10 bucks. I'm still going to get them a Scholastic book with my points, but I think they will like the ornament, too....not a bad price either!

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 13, 2007

I make all of my kids stockings ( I sew them and have their names on them). Then they bring small items to stuff them with for their peers. I always add a bookmark or ornament.

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 13, 2007

I might have to do the hot chocolate and Gingerbread men snacks this year. Our local stores hardly ever run out. If they do we can go to the plant office and buy them (it's in our town).

I also do the Scholastic books. I usually include some type of ornament, pencil, and eraser.

9. wilton_widarta

wilton_widarta New Member

Nov 14, 2007

Christmas Gift on Christmas Day

I have some idea for Christmas Gift.
    Maybe it can help you all :)
    If you don't mind you can check my blog

toyandgadget.blogspot.com

:hugs:

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 14, 2007

11. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 15, 2007

I use points to buy them Charlotte's Web.
    I read it aloud and write a comment in the front soemthing like:
    "I really enjoyed reading this to you. I hope you enjoy reading it again and again."

I also make them one of those jars full of cookie mix in hopes that someone will spend the time with them over break or a snow day and bake with them.

12. LLteach

LLteach Rookie

Nov 18, 2007

I also use my scholastic bonus points to buy 2 books for each child. Then, I burn them each a copy of the christmas CD/holiday that I play in the classroom during the season. This year's version features Disney stars like Hannah Montana and he cast of High School Musical. The kids loves it!

13. Seacrest

Seacrest New Member

Nov 21, 2007

website for christmas gifts

Found this site online that may help you. It has sorted the gift ideas by age group so you may just find something useful in there. Best part is that the links to purchase them are given in there itself. Pretty helpful.

Here it is: justxmas.elementfx.com. Just copy paste in your address bar.

14. muddycandy

muddycandy New Member

Nov 22, 2007

I think stationaries would be a good idea, sometimes I found pencils, erasiers and rulers in dollar stores are good looking and cheap. You can buy each students a set of stationaries, so they can have new stuff to use in the new semester. Besides, you can buy them some chocolates, they can share those chocolates in class!!!

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 22, 2007

I'm an aide and the kids know I like word games. (I teach word study). So for Christmas last year I sent home a list of all the spelling words they had so far (made it cute) and then I bought a hangman game from the $1 store for each of the students. I also made some bingo templates for them to add words to. My teacher bought addition war card games (also at the $1 store) and passed those out as well. We put them in the class stockings the kids made the day before.

16. beanie

beanie Rookie

Nov 22, 2007

Isn't it funny - even in Australia, Scholastic help us out at Christmas time - we bought boxes of 50 books for $49 (x2 - one from Wombat, and one from Lucky - our catalogues in Australia) The children will get one each, (picked especially for each child), plus a few little christmas nick nacks (such as pencils etc) If I have time, they might also get some christmas sugar cookies to go with it....

17. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Nov 22, 2007

I received free books for my first order with scholastic this year. Oriental trading had animal book marks. I also look for deals on the magic stretch mittens/gloves as many of my kids cannot afford them.

18. twincheryl

twincheryl Rookie

Nov 23, 2007

Holiday gifts

As for gifts for students, we rarely do anything other than maybe a book certificate for Scholastic book orders or a pencil or something very small. Maybe it's because our students are mostly from quite high income families...?

Are most of you able to do all that Christmas stuff? Our Jewish parents are very upset if we do anything that even remotely has to do with Christmas... and if we do, we must have an alternate activity for the Jewish kids.

19. srh

srh Devotee

Nov 23, 2007

(I teach Kinder, but....) I like to read The Polar Express to the kids the week before break. (It has such a nice tone to it, and the "magic" of Christmas is within the words.) For the last day before break, I give them a silver bell with their names on them, in remembrance of the story. I bought the bells at Dollar Tree (6 for $1, I think), and a paint pen from Michael's. They "get" the connection. Any primary age group would love them.

I also use Scholastic points to buy a book. This year's is about building a snowman, which also goes with our curriculum story, "All to Build a Snowman." I LOVE it when things relate to each other!

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 24, 2007

twincheryl...

One of my pet peeves is in my class we read a story about Hannukah and it explains the meaning of the menorah. It even gives a brief age appropriate historical account. We then read a story for Kawaanza. We do activities for both. Yet when we do Christmas it is only about Santa Claus. No historical account of a baby born. Yet in 3 years I've been there, we've had one jewish family and the rest are Christian or secular. I have no problem with the jewish parent in your class requiring you to have another activity. If we are going to teach it at all, we need to be well rounded because technically religion has no place in the classroom. Culturally speaking if we are going to include one, we should respect others. The same thing goes for Christianity. We shouldn't let the pendalum swing so far the other way that we can't celebrate Christmas either.

I probably wouldn't mind the childbirth not being mentioned except that the Jewish story told is just as religiously graphical in my classroom.

21. srh

srh Devotee

Nov 24, 2007

Side Note: In my 3 years of teaching (plus a semester of ST now that I think about it), I've only seen an "issue" with parents of Jehovah's Witness students. In those cases, the parents have opted to exclude the chlld whenever anything offensive to their beliefs has been on the agenda (Santa visiting, gift exchange, etc.). As a grade level, we tend to go "generic" on stories, and include non-religious stories such as "Too Many Tamales" just to round things out. But I am a Christian (even have a degree in Bible :-D), and I find myself not choosing stories depicting the manger specifically. I don't read "pinpointed" belief stories, but rather, do stories that are more general in nature and less a problem. Most of the kids in my classroom come from the Christian philosophy as well, but unless you are careful to include EVERY belief system, it is a better idea NOT to introduce specifics. There are many other places to share the Gospel (or your own thinking...) without becoming a target in the classroom. I don't want to lose my credibility during the rest of the year because a parent feels he/she cannot trust me in doing my job. It's probably the only time of year that I think I would actually enjoy working in a Christian school!

22. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 24, 2007

I do agree that school isn't a place for specifics and as I said, I wouldn't have objected if the jewish story that is read didn't have some specifics in it.

23. twincheryl

twincheryl Rookie

Nov 24, 2007

Holiday stuff

Yes, I agree with all of you... and I've been teaching for 17 years! I generally do a "winter celebrations around the world" theme for the month of December and never have any problems. I was just surprised about how many posts there were with teachers giving the kids gifts at holiday time... and in our area, the non-Christian parents are really getting kind of out of control. Not like you can go to Target or Walmart or anywhere else and not see Christmas. I try to remember that it's not the kids who make the choice of family religious preference so these little ones shouldn't have to be singled out or made to sit out of something their parents don't agree with... so it is easier to just do a winter theme or something for everyone.