Christmas gifts for kids?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by kandb435, Nov 22, 2005.

1. kandb435

kandb435 Rookie

Nov 22, 2005

I am a new teacher and have absolutely no idea what I should get my class for Christmas! I thought about just getting a "class gift", buying something they could all use and would love (no ideas for that yet!). But, I was also thinking I should get them something individually. I just don't know what to get considering I have 28 students and don't have a lot of money to spend or a lot of time to spend making things... Any ideas would be helpful!

Krista
    4th Grade taecher

3. Ali

Ali Companion

Nov 22, 2005

I usually get something from Oriental Trading, although I've found the Dollar Tree to be a better deal! I get things like card games or some kind of toy. The class gift is a good idea too. Seriously, check the Dollar Tree if you have one or some store like it. Keep in mind, it's the thought that counts and we don't have to get extravagant!

4. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Nov 22, 2005

I always use my bonus points from Scholastic Book Clubs to buy each child a book. No out of pocket expense here because I do have a large class.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 22, 2005

I always give each child a book at Christmas and at the end of the year. I use bonus coupons from Scholastic and pick up cheap novels when I see them here or there. (Oh, and this year they are each getting a thin, black marker because I am tired of them borrowing mine and not returning them!)

6. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Nov 22, 2005

Dollar Tree and Oriental trading both have those puzzle books. I give it to them early in the morning on the last day. It is usually a busy and chaotic day. Puzzle books keep them entertained and out of trouble.

7. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Nov 22, 2005

I also use bonus points to get them books ....does not cost me a thing and it sends a good message!

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 22, 2005

I shop months in advance...I hit the clearance pages at Oriental Trading, their prices are great anyway, but with clearance they are great! I have adorable s'more ornaments that I bought 2 dozen for a total of $4.50. I also buy stockings when they are clearance after Christmas and give them those. I hang the stocking and they get something every day. (A piece of candy a snowman eraser [I got a gross for $2.50], a pencil, etc) They think it is really cool to get it like that.

9. pam1212

pam1212 Rookie

Nov 22, 2005

That's a great idea Christy!! Do you put the stocking on their desks on the last day and then fill it for them? Or do you do it a few days ahead and fill it day by day? I really like that idea.

10. Flanny108

Flanny108 Rookie

Nov 22, 2005

I've used bonus points from scholastic as well. Recently I have discovered a website forteachersonly.com I buy my 3rd graders personalized pencils. They are only like $.79 per student. They each get a little holder with 3 personalized pencils. They love them.

11. pam1212

pam1212 Rookie

Nov 22, 2005

That's a great website Flanny. They have good prices and a flat shipping of only $3.00!!!! The pencil set is a cute idea! Thanks for the info.

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 22, 2005

I give the Scholastic books with the bonus points, a holiday pencil(12 for 95cents) and maybe a candy bar or something.

13. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 22, 2005

Last year I had almost NO money, and I was working with about 50 kids each week. For Christmas I got them each several small things from Oriental Trading, and I wrote each student a letter saying something that they were good at (you're a great reader; you can always make me laugh, etc). In May, I found about 200 brand new books at a yard sale (a teacher had bought them and was moving, she had too many to take with her and she'd been fired from her school-but thats a whole other story). I paid about $10 and gave each kid a book at their reading level.

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 23, 2005

I have a clotheline hung across the back of my room. I hang their stockings there. I always start with the light things because with 20 or so stockings it gets heavy quick. They watch and know when I add things. I usually add them in the morning before school starts.

15. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 23, 2005

I also use bonus points from Scholastic, and try to get one fiction and one non-fiction book per students. This year I hit the August sales and also bought a pack of markers for each student; I think I got them for about $.25 each. By this time of year a lot of the students have lost or used up their markers.
    I always give the kids the gift from me the day before the last day; the last day is so hectic, they don't even know what they're getting.

16. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Nov 23, 2005

Christy, do you mean they see you put things in the stockings but they cant get them until the day school lets out for Christmas break?? Thats so sneaky!

17. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Nov 23, 2005

thank you for the amazing website....my student shopping is done!!!!

18. **Bonnie**

**Bonnie** Rookie

Nov 24, 2005

Well, I'm a student and over the years some gifts I've enjoyed getting from teachers are:
    1. Books
    2. Candy
    3. Gift Certificates to get like a free slice of pizza

19. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 24, 2005

If you can find books that are cheap enough that's always a good idea. It's tough when you don't have a lot of money, but candy is always cheap and a big hit with the kids! :) You could get cute little Christmas bags to put the candy in.

20. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 24, 2005

You can make your Christmas bags too. Use the small brown or white paper bags(get them through your place of work if you can...free) and then stamp Christmas pictures on them and tie them with a ribbon.

21. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 24, 2005

Very true, Grammy! Cute idea... :)

22. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Nov 24, 2005

I also get my students a book with my bonus points from Scholastic. I put it in a bag with a new pencil, some candy, and a little something extra like a holiday bookmark or eraser.

23. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 25, 2005

Great ideas here. I didn't plan ahead to order from Scholastic so I hit Dollar Tree and got them each a stuffed gingerbread man or lady. I also ordered from Forteachersonly and got the pencil sets. They have great math and language games at that site, too.

I have a shopping bag in my classroom closet that I have added holiday things to for the last 6 weeks or so - I think I have lots more than I can remember! Just like my gift shelf at home.

For fellow teachers, I shopped at the Scholastic $1 sale earlier this year and found great stuff.

24. janlee

janlee Devotee

Nov 25, 2005

For the past several years I've done the following for my students.
    I find Christmas or holiday mugs ( usually get at rummage sales or garage sales) I add two packets of hot chocolate mix, 2 mini candy canes, and a handful of mini marshmellows that I put into a zip lock bag) Put all into the mug along with the following poem:
    Playing in the snow is lots of fun,
    Throwing snowballs, run, run, run!
    Making snow angels, trying to hide,
    Then it's time to come inside
    You need to warm up really quick,
    Make a cup of cocoa lickity split.
    Sit down, read a book for the rest of the day,
    Until the next ime you go out and play.

I use my Scholastic points to get each student a book or two.

Put all inside a lunch bag or white bakery bag. This is a gift that is appropriate for all religious faiths. I start hunting for the mugs whenever I go to a rummage sale or garage sale. Total cost is usually under $10 for everything.

25. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 25, 2005

Janlee, I really like that idea! I may steal that this year.

26. herins

herins Companion

Nov 26, 2005

Man, you guys give good gifts! I just bought Christmas activity books at Walmart today. They were 2 for $O.98. Last year I made them Christmas ornaments out of their handprints, which I will try to do again this year.

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

28. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Nov 27, 2005

Very cute idea! I just picked up some mugs at the dollar tree. I think I will go back and get more.

29. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

Dec 9, 2005

Is there still time to order on line? I have 5th graders. 34 of them and am off to shop for them. Thanks to our snow day! Any ideas?

30. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Dec 9, 2005

I ordered books from Scholastic as well. I just hope they get here in time.

31. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 9, 2005

I just ordered from Scholastic on Wednesday. I didn't want to pay extra for the guaranteed delivery, though. I hope they get here, too.

32. Froglet

Froglet Rookie

Dec 10, 2005

Wow, what good ideas. I too have use the Dollar Store. I am looking for a gift for parents. Any quick and easy ideas?

33. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 10, 2005

Do you mean for students to make?

34. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2005

One of Scholastic's first orders each year (Sept....) features a free book for every kid in your room- I usually ask for 3 or 4 extra just incase I pick up a few students. I wrap that book (this year a fun classroom poetry book) plus put a hot chocolate envelope, candies,and a "little Debbies" gingerbread man snack in a gift bag tied with curly ribbon........

35. Froglet

Froglet Rookie

Dec 10, 2005

Yes, I have made ornements for their tree with their pictures for years but I need something new. :)

36. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2005

czacza, I like your idea of adding the Little Debbie snack to the gift of books. I have also included holiday pencils and a color book for the girls...and the boys get a little hot wheel car. Thanks for the idea...I like it better than candy.

37. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 10, 2005

We decorated votive candleholders with gold paint and crystal 'gems', and we decorated clear glass ornaments.

38. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Dec 10, 2005

We decorated baby food jars to make votives. We first cut out a little picture from an old Christmas card and glues it on. WHen it dried the kids painted glue all over the jar and we put salt all over it. The salt kind of glistens when the candle is lit. Tied a ribbon around the top and put in a candle. Quick and easy and really cute.

39. miki2005

miki2005 New Member

Dec 27, 2005

Beautiful African themed tabletop products and gifts

:) A great gift for children!! I have bought the animal plates for my kids and sisters kids and they love the product. The plates are durable and 100% microwave, oven and food safe. Really, an original gift idea!!!

40. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 27, 2005

That is really a cute idea.

41. Froglet

Froglet Rookie

Dec 28, 2005

Thanks for the good ideas!