Christmas gift ideas for my aid?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by prek, Dec 14, 2014.

1. prek

prek Rookie

Dec 14, 2014

Hey all, I was wondering if any of you more experienced teachers have any cute, creative christmas gift ideas for my teaching aid? The other teachers at my school that I've talked said the average amount spent on the gifts for their aid is $150 :eek: I don't have that much to spend so I'm hoping to make up for it with something thoughtful from the class! Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks!

3. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Dec 14, 2014

That's kinda crazy IMO unless you are making deep in the six figures and your aid is making bupkis. If you want something from the kiddies, I personally think handmade cards trump cute little crafts that quickly get broken or tossed out due to lack of usefulness.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2014

Gift card
    Basket of teas and mug
    Pretty scarf or pashmina
    Nice hand cream and nail polish with note 'For Your MistleTOES'

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2014

Wow, $150 is crazy! I really appreciate my para but I would never dream of spending that amount on a gift for anyone! I would include some handmade cards/notes from the kids like Jerseygirl said, because I think those would be greatly appreciated. Then personally I would include a $15-20 gift with the cards, depending on the tastes of your para. Mine loves snowmen so I got her some fuzzy socks with snowmen on them, a little snowman decoration, and a gift card to Michael's because she loves crafting.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 14, 2014

$10-20 tops. Just a token of appreciation for their help in the classroom.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 14, 2014

I made chocolate caramel popcorn and put it in a pretty canister for my aid.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2014

My teammates are getting MistleTOES gift (see above)
    My lunch para will get a scarf and coffee gift card

9. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Dec 14, 2014

In my para days, I usually got a gift card for $25 or so to somewhere related to something I really loved. Barnes & Noble, the local hockey team's gift shop, something like that. It was always accompanied by a handwritten note thanking me for my help, usually mentioning specific students or situations - something personal - and that always meant a lot. I was fortunate to always have a good relationship with the teachers I worked with and it was still nice to see something like that in writing once in a while. Depending on the teacher, these were sometimes accompanied by delicious homemade cookies. That was more than enough! I agree that $150 is crazy excessive. I barely spend that much on my husband most years.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 14, 2014

I have several aides who travel in and out during the day with their one on one students. I could not afford to spend $10 on each, much less more than I spend on family members. I'm giving people a two dollar candy bar and a note this year as the budget is tighter than usual.

11. msaly

msaly Comrade

Dec 20, 2014

$150 is outrageous! I did the mistletoes thing mentioned earlier. I got fuzzy socks, 2 nail polishes and a nail file and printed the cute tag. I spent $10.

12. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Dec 21, 2014

I don't give my staff gifts at this time of year. I wait until the end of the school year.

13. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Dec 21, 2014

$150.00 is ridiculous. a $25.00 gift card is good.