christmas gift exchange ideas

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by hanvan, Nov 17, 2006.

1. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Nov 17, 2006

We do a christmas gift exchange idea with about 5 couples. Everyone brings a 20 gift and we play the white elephant game. Its fun but I need some ideas. I think last year we did a coffee set...other things people brought were wine and movie, things like that.

I was thinking about giving a bubble bath set (salts soap etc) and then about 1/2 doz choc. covered strawberries. WHat do you think? All of these people are early 30s with 2-3 kids so I NOW KNOW its hard to find time for... :) Is that ok or should I go with somehting else. I am trying to think outside the box.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2006

What about a basket with all of the fixings for a dinner for 2 in front of the fire? Crackers, a tin of nice pate, cheese, shrimp, and the chocolate covered strawberries or fine chocolates. Just add wine, a fire, and.....

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 17, 2006

Or a DVD and popcorn set so the whole family can enjoy.

5. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Nov 17, 2006

there is a website I found that has some fun stuff I might order for xmas... i think it is perpetualkid.com or something close to that. lol

the other ideas sound really nice too. maybe you could add free babysitting to your idea to help with the theme. ;)

6. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Nov 17, 2006

It doesn't have to be that theme. I just thought of it. I am NOT babysitting for anyone right now. My little one is only 8 weeks and I have my hands full. Good idea if she was a little older.

7. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Nov 17, 2006

some one that bought something from our E-bay store said they were doing something like that....... they bought a margarhita mixer (blender).... it was called the Muchasas Margarhita maker.... kind of a funny kind of thing.

I think something for a family or couple would be good,
    popcorn, flavored salts, bowls, oils(like orvil reddenbocer popcorn oil)

masage book, masage oils, romantic music....... etc.....

car wash kit

CHOCOLATE: choclate covered nuts, rasins, popcorn, dark chocolate, Dove chocolate.

8. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Nov 17, 2006

$20 worth of scratch cards.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 18, 2006

Now that could be a gift that keeps on giving!!

10. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 18, 2006

This is off topic - sorry. At our Christmas exchange at work. Everyone gets a name and you have to buy a gift for them using their initials. For instance one year someone bought a teacher with the initials SV someone got her Sky Vodka. I think we are going to do it this year. SHould be fun. That could be a good twist on what you do.

11. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Nov 19, 2006

Your exchange sounds like a lot of fun. Gift cards for Starbucks or movie tickets would make a nice afternoon out. You could do a bath basket with a nice bath pillow, bubble bath, wine, chocolate, and candles. Bath and Body works has some nice holiday scents out right now. Happy shopping!!

12. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Nov 20, 2006

AMK: I'm doing a chrhitmas swap where things are to be ANYTHING as long as it starts with the letters in MERRY CHRISTMAS, we are putting them in stockings or Santa hats. Its been lots of fun I just finished mine the other day when I found an elf and ice cicle ornament for the letters E and I. I love doing little gift swaps.

I'm doing a small gift swap, the stocking swap, an ornament swap and international christmas card swap.

13. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Nov 24, 2006

How fun! I am in a christmas cookie swap this year. Each person makes enough cookies so everyone in the swap gets six. So if 10 people are in the swap, I make 60 cookies, and bag them up.. Then I pick up 9 bags of cookies that everyone else brought.. it is a good way to get a VARIETY of cookies... i thought i would try it this year, although I have not done it before..

Also, this year, I sponsored a family in need. They have a 1 year old little girl, so I picked out some cute little girly outfits, and some wooden toys. The mom I got a warm fleece jacket, and the dad gets seeds and a fishing vest (what he wanted). I also included gift cards to a local (for them) grocery store.

14. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 24, 2006

My school last year did a sock swap... everybody brings a new wrapped pair of holiday-themed socks and you swap for a different pair. :)

15. Texas Gal

Texas Gal Companion

Nov 25, 2006

Our white elephant party is a "true" white elephant in the sense that we give really awful gifts - the worse the better! Last year I brought a large banjo playing frog and my husband brought a huge framed poster of Willie Nelson! We usually get all of our stuff on major discount clearance racks. One of our guests brought a huge statue of a pregnant nun, which I ended up with. (Couldn't keep that in the house! Ugh...) One of the best was someone got 5 or 6 gift cards with less than a dollar on each one of them. They look like 20 or 50 dollar cards but had been used up! We have a good time and there is always someone (who doesn't know how terrible our gifts are) that brings a very nice gift. We fight over that gift until it can be stolen no more...

I like the bubble bath idea for parents with little time. Or, you could do movie tickets or restaurant gift cards as a date night. This sounds like a really nice tradition with your friends!

16. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Nov 25, 2006

texas gal, that cracked me up!

If I were in that, I would buy a stack of toilet paper and glue it together.. that would be fun.

17. Texas Gal

Texas Gal Companion

Nov 25, 2006

Ha! Great idea for this year! Any "potty" thing usually gets a great laugh.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 25, 2006

Each year I do a gift exchange party. Here's how it works:

Everyone is asked to bring a wrapped Christmas item valued at $20. The night of the party, we all pick numbers out of a hat. Since I'm hosting, I choose #1-- the least desirable number. I open any gift and show everyone.

Let's say Jeanne picks #2. She can either steal my gift (and let me choose another to open) or choose another gift to open.

Peggy picks #3. She can steal either of the opened gifts, or choose another to open. If she steals Jeanne's, Jeanne can either steal mine or open a new gift.

The only real rule is that you can't steal back something that has JUST been stolen from you... a 3rd party must have been involved first.

The game ends when the last gift has been opened.

It's tons of fun. I serve munchies and cocktails. After the presents are all opened we have coffee and dessert. None of the gifts are gag gifts, so we all end up with something nice. And the night out is full of laughs.

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 25, 2006

We're going to do this at our staff party this year. Sounds like great fun!