Christmas for parents

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by prinjess82, Dec 8, 2008.

1. prinjess82

prinjess82 Rookie

Dec 8, 2008

Anyone have some poems or verses for your students' parents for Christmas? Looking for things to put in ther cards i am giving them. Thanks.

3. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Dec 9, 2008

I have a poem, but it goes with making a reindeer out of their handprint on the front of the card. Would it help?

4. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Dec 9, 2008

are you certain that every parent at your school celebrates christmas? if so, here is a good site to use that has nothing but christmas poens:

http://www.voicesnet.com/FreePoetryPoemsdelta.htm

5. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Dec 10, 2008

To the person who sent me a private message for the reindeer handprint card, I tried to email you, but it would not go through-the prob is my computer. I sent the info in a private message. If you don't get it, I will put the info in the forum.

6. prinjess82

prinjess82 Rookie

Dec 10, 2008

yes I would like the reindeer poem please. Thank you.
    Yes, I am sure all my parents celebrate Christmas, but just in case I alwasy just send "holiday cards" Last year I made something up like " I hope you see this season through the eyes of your child, they are truly a wonderful gift!" BUT I have my same class this year cause I moved up with them, so trying to find something different. :)

7. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Dec 11, 2008

Reindeer Card: Fold white const paper for card. Paint their hand brown and have them make one handprint UPSIDE DOWN on the front of the card. The thumb becomes the neck/head, the fingers become the legs. Glue poem inside and have them sign their name. Decorate the reindeer by having them draw antlers on top of reindeer head and harness/scarf on neck. They can then glue on a tiny wiggle eye and a little red glitter for the nose. I pull a small bit of cotton off of a cotton ball and roll it till it is a small ball shape and have them glue it for the tail. You can adapt this anyway you want. If you didn't want to do handprints, they could just trace their hand.You could have them add any other features that you want. Here is the poem:
    This isn't just a reindeer
    as you can plainly see.
    I made it with my hands
    which are a part of me.
    It comes with lots of love
    especially to say,
    I hope you have a very
    Merry Christmas Day!

8. Proud Mom

Proud Mom Rookie

Dec 11, 2008

This post got me wondering...what is the best way for new teachers to find out about cultrual concerns - like holidays - from families? What forms of communication do you use...questionaires, conferences???? I would never want to offend or disrespect a member of my classroom. I am always interested to learn as many tricks of the trade as I can.

Thanks!

9. prinjess82

prinjess82 Rookie

Dec 11, 2008

I send out a "get to know" you at the beginning of the year that asks mainly about their child, but does have room for "Anything I need to know"....Most people who celebrate differently take it upon themselves to let you know what they do not want their child to participate in...I have never had to "seek out" their beliefs.If they feel strongly about their child being influenced in the wrong way they let it be known!:)