Christmas Celebrations, Ugh

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by RedVac, Nov 2, 2010.

1. RedVac

RedVac Rookie

Nov 2, 2010

I teach in a Christain preschool so the holidays are a big deal. We have an entire morning devoted to Happy Birthday Jesus where parents come and their are games, a carnival really. The thing that I struggle with is that my 2's and 3's are expected to perform Christmas songs in the santuary for their parents. I have a background in EC music and know that it is not developmentally appropriate for these kids to be performing. How do I convince my director to cut the performance when parents expect it. Curious about what other preschools do.

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 2, 2010

Could you just have them play instruments to a recorded CD? Then they could choose to sing along or not...

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 2, 2010

Oh yeah, all the preschools want the little ones to perform because they look so darling. It isn't really appropriate, but it is so cute. Maybe play Little Drummer Boy and have them make drums and play along.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2010

Can they do something else that is more developmentally appropriate?

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 2, 2010

Could it be a sing along while seated with the parents? An everyone sing time?

That would take some of the pressure off, and still have the obligatory carols included.

7. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Nov 2, 2010

Our 3's join the "big kids" (the 4's) to sing. Most Christmas songs are too hard for them to learn, so they usually stand and look cute and wave to parents. The 4's carry us and do a great job. It's something the parents expect and look forward to, so we make the best of it.

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2010

Will they be wearing some type of costume; say angels? No matter what, parents will be ooing and awwing those little ones.

I say go with instruments (homemade drums or jingle bells) and let them sing along to simple music. No matter what...they are going to be the best group even if they just stand and gawk. :love:

9. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Nov 4, 2010

Same issue here. We always work on it for weeks and they sing it so wonderfully in class, but as soon as we get on stage, they just stand there petrified and the teachers make fools of ourselves singing the song and attempting to get them to sing! It is always so embarrassing for us but everyone else loves how cute they are anyway.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2010

The lowest I've ever taught was kinder (although I did have some four year olds!). So, I don't know if I can help, but are your 2's and 3's allowed to sing with the older kids? Perhaps if you choose a song like jingle bells, then the older kids can sing while your little ones can shake some bells. They can then choose to sing or not, but at least they are helping out.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 4, 2010

I don't know if this is what you want, but this is what we did one year. I took over from a director who had been at the job for over 20 years. She had done the say Christmas program every year and it was not DAP. The parents were firm in their desire for a Christmas performance. I wanted to skip it, but my board insisted. So, I did it my way!!

The minister of the church had a child come up and open a present. In the packages were pieces of the nativity scene. As each package was opened, she told the story of Jesus's birth. A few songs were included. The parents were happy, as the children looked cute. You could sing as many songs as appropriate. We rehearsed this once, so that the children's reactions were pretty original and not practiced.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2010

When my own kids were that little, we always had a discussion about the whole Nativity story.

Brian in particular was intrigued by the Wise Men. We were looking at out Creche one day, and we started talking about the gifts that the Wise Men brought Jesus.

He stated quite definitely that they were wipes, formula, and diapers. After all, he had a baby sister and knew what babies needed.

Why not survey the kids, one on one, ahead of time, and ask questions like that to them? Have the kids give their answers in the assembly, or make up flyers or posters?

I bet it would be adorable.

13. new2twos

new2twos Rookie

Nov 16, 2010

At the preschool where I work the 4`s are doing a play type performance. The 3`s are singing 4 songs. Then my class the 1`s and 2`s are singing 3 songs. They are singing Joy Joy Joy to the world,jingle bells (w/bells) and Jesus loves Me. Then all kids sing Happy Birthday to Jesus.

14. MOM1TEACHER2

MOM1TEACHER2 Rookie

Nov 16, 2010

I teach at a Christian preschool and we do a Christmas program every year. Our 3 to 5 years perform togeter. Our younger ones learn and sing the songs as well as our young 5's. We use Christmas programs that are made just for preschoolers. We use
    Playsong musicals by Karyn Henley. Our children love doing them, and the parents love watching them. This year the title is
    The Best Gift Of All, which tells the story from the Wisemen view.
    There are 4 songs with motions, which help the children learn the words, the "the teacher" tells the story, with the children also helping tell the story. The program is about 10 min. long,
    the children learn the Christmas story in a fun easy way. Most Children love to sing. We have found three other songs to sing with the program, a very cool version of We Three Kings, from group publishing which is very easy, one of our teachers made some awesome motions for it. dltk has christian words for jingle bells and twinkle twinkle little star. Don't sell your young ones short. They can learn the words, most very young love music, keep it stress and you have to have fun doing the songs also, the children will feed off you. Also, start early introducing the songs you would like to sing. We started practice in October, and we have it down now.

15. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Nov 16, 2010

I agree with many others here. I am also a parent and we do love these "kodak" moments with our kids. As a teacher, I know these
    "shows" are not easy to pull off. Just let them be cute, I like the jingle bells or drums idea. Music or other singers would work nicely too.