Christmas Card Dilemma

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HistoryVA, Dec 15, 2013.

1. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Dec 15, 2013

Before I get into my question- I know there are some who will think I'm "over-reacting" and who think America (and teachers) have become "too PC" if I'm even concerned about this. I respect that opinion, but I don't share it. I believe that religion should be kept out of public schools as much as humanly possible, so please don't get on me for even being concerned about it.

As I mentioned in the 'gifts for students" thread, I always write my 160+ students individual notes, thanking them for 2013 and trying to include something I've enjoyed about them. I'm getting a late start this year and when I pulled out my 6 boxes of "generic season's greetings" cards (about $35 in cost), it turns out they are all most definitely "Merry Christmas" cards. None are particularly religious, but they do say the phrase and some have Santa on them.

I have no idea about the religious makeup of my kids, with the exception of one Witness, to whom I will not give a card at all (blank paper).

Would you give out the cards in your school? My kids range from 14-20 in a very urban area. I really hate to waste the $35, but I would hate even more to A. alienate/insult a student or B. (and honestly, my bigger concern because I don't think my kids would be upset) get in trouble with my school.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2013

Can you return the cards?

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2013

I probably wouldn't use the cards.

5. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 15, 2013

Buy some pretty "Thank You" cards and write your message thanking them for 2013. Or, just buy blank cards and write your message. Save your Christmas cards for the next few years.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2013

I would do something like this.

7. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Dec 15, 2013

Yeah, I guess I will... just so freaking annoying because I wanted to get the majority done today and after yesterday, there's no way in hades I'm going to Walmart on a weekend before xmas ever again. Maybe I'll leave early for work and go at 5 am. It's just frustrating to have wasted all this time and money after thinking I'd gotten the right cards.

8. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Dec 15, 2013

Instead of wasting the money, couldn't you just write all the notes on regular paper---I think it's the message you are writing that is the most important thing.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2013

Agreed...you could make wintery 'stationery' on your computer with clip art.

10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Dec 15, 2013

I often can find Christmas or Thank you cards at the dollar store. You should be able to find some there that don't say Merry Christmas. This should cover everybody for under $10.

11. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Dec 15, 2013

I think I will. This was the first time I tried to go the extra mile and get nice cards and ta-da! :p I'll just go back to the simple route and deal with the cards later.

I just thought I'd check because, of course, every non-teacher in my life was all "what's the big deal? Just give them the Christmas cards!?! God, people are so over-sensitive!!!". I just needed a check with other people who get our circumstances.

12. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Dec 15, 2013

I think if the religious bias is every going to change (wishing everyone a Merry Christmas regardless of their beliefs), then there is no better place to start than a school. Teachers are in a special place to make being accepting of others' beliefs acceptable.

If you had a stamp or stickers, it would help make plain pieces of paper a bit more fancy. Another cute option would be to make scrolls with them - roll them up and tie them with a ribbon. This would be more time consuming though. I am in awe of your choice to write 100+ cards - especially with personalized messages! Your kids are lucky to have you.

Also, hopefully you can return the cards and get your money back! You should especially be able to if they said "generic holiday cards" on the box.

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 15, 2013

I hate how PC we have to be sometimes.

After the holidays, I would look for clearance cards for next year. I found some cute "let it snow" cards with a snow man on front last year for dirt cheap.

14. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Dec 15, 2013

As I mentioned in my opening statement, I do not hate it and my question is not meant in any way to reflect an opinion like that. I fully support not promoting religious holidays. I am happy to deal with the minor annoyance if it prevents the possibility of a student feeling alienated.

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 15, 2013

I had all my students take a survey to see if they celebrate Christmas or another holiday. I put stickers on papers and I have generic winter ones and Christmas ones. All my students except one are okay with Christmas stickers.

16. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Dec 15, 2013

And the more I think about it, the less I would want to give a card that says "Merry Christmas" anyway, even if the kids are all Christian or celebrate Christmas. For a LOT of them it WON'T be a Merry Christmas. A lot don't want to not be in school- it means less food and less heating. And it's been estimated that at least 40% of our students won't receive a single gift anyway. I don't want to shove that in their faces.

So, after some more reflection, I don't even want to replace them with other "wintery" cards. I'll just go back to normal paper and end with "have a safe break" instead of any holiday-related greetings.

17. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 15, 2013

I know, but I was just expressing that I hate it.

18. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Dec 15, 2013

I don't oppose this idea at all, but for the kids who aren't going to have a happy holiday season, I don't think it's "shoving it in their face" to wish them happy holidays. After all, what you said is completely true about them not getting gifts. It may mean a lot for them to get a holiday/wintery card from you. I think either way, though, it will still be special.

19. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Dec 15, 2013

I do too. Thank god it's never been an issue for me. I'd rip my hair out!

20. bora

bora Rookie

Dec 15, 2013

:)

21. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2013

I wouldn't hesitate to give them just as I'd hope our Jewish teacher wouldn't hesitate to have a Menorah in her classroom during Hanukkah.

22. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Dec 17, 2013

Michael's or AC Moore tend to have nice small packs of cards for $1 - I work at a Catholic school but I'm still mindful that not all of our families are Christian, so as thank you cards I'm going to get generic winter cards. :)