Christmas art ideas

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by jlj, Nov 25, 2007.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Nov 25, 2007

Looking for ornament ideas for PK4 - specifically for angels, bells... Would like something different.... also art ideas (no Santa) :thanks:

3. monica

monica Comrade

Nov 25, 2007

We make 3 ornaments.
    Photo Frames: I hot glue 4 popsicle sticks together for the frame. Add yarn. The kids paint them and then add sequins, buttons, etc... I add a picture to the back from when we have our "Breakfast with Santa" in early December. If they don't come or don't want to see Santa, I take their picture in front of our class tree for their frame.

Snow Flakes: I hot glue 4 popsicle sticks together like a star or snowflake, add yarn. The kids paint them and then sprinkle them with white and/or silver glitter.

Candy Canes: I cut red or white pipe cleaners in half. (It's faster to make smaller ones, if they want to do 2 they can. I just like it better than using the whole pipe cleaner) They put red & white tri-sided beads on the pipe cleaner, we talk about patterns. We bend it on the ends so the beads stay, then bend into a candy cane. Easy!

I do a bell countdown paper chain. Next week we'll go ahead and put it together. It has a poem about counting down until Christ's birth, I can't remember right now. I'll try to remember to look for it and type it here if you want it. I trace a bell, they cut it out and add glitter. We add the poem to the top. They help make the paper chain to tear off each night.

I have a cut & paste nativity scene we do. We glue it to black paper and add stars. We talk about & read the story of Christmas.

We also make a Christmas book/card about the Christmas story for our parents. I can't remember the words and can look those up to if you want. Something like "3 wise men" on the first page. We cut & glue 3 simple people figures, "follow a star" and they paint a star on that page, "to the Christ child" or something similar and we glue popsicle sticks like a stable, add a die cut Baby Jesus and add strips of paper for hay at the bottom. I could be leaving out a page, don't remember right now.

Reindeer Day: We trace our foot on brown construction paper and cut it out. (you could paint their feet, but we've already done it once by now for something else and it takes so long) That's the reindeer head. They paint their hands and put them on the paper on each side of their cut out foot, for reindeer antlers. They either cut out features for the face or paint them, depends on how I'm feeling that year. .............. Same day we trace their hands, they cut them out. We staple them on a sentence strip for a reindeer head band. I paint a red nose on their face. We do the "reindeer hokey pokey" and read "Rudolph".

Gingerbread Day: I have an entire day dedicated to Gingerbread. I have parent volunteers come in and run centers. We do some in empty classrooms, the hallway, whatever. We're doing it with our partner class across the hall. The kids will be divided into very small groups.

We make a foamie ornament in one room. It's from oriental trading & says "Jesus warms my heart".

[​IMG]

We play alphabet bingo in one room and they use Gbread erasers for bingo markers. We also play alphabet bean bag toss in that room. I made bean bags from gbread material. I drew gbread men on a shower curtain randomly, with a letter in each. They toss the bean bag & name the letter.

We are painting large wooden gbread men that I bought from Michael's for $1 each. We're adding a magnet to those. (Our director is running this center, she wanted to play along too) Last year we decorated foamies that we put magnets on, but I found cheap wood kind this year instead. Here is last years.

[​IMG]

One room is where they're going to read the story of the Gingerbread Man, answer the question "Why do you think he ran away" for scrapbook purposes and play a pass the gingerbread man game.

One room has small games. A board game I printed from Jan Brett's website about the Mitten. Then a bunch of file folder games I made. One is gbread die cuts with numbers, they put the right number of buttons on the man. One is matching color words. The folder has die cuts, all white gbread men, the color word is written on them. They match die cuts of different color gman men to the color word. One is gbread die cut men in the folder with letters on them. They'll match clip art pictures to the letter that makes their sound. And a few others: matching shapes, rhyming, etc...

Then we all come back together for a different version of the story, Gingerbread Baby. Last, but not least.... snack. I give each child a gbread man cookie. (Shaped, not actual gbread..kids don't usually like gingerbread. We use sugar cookies. This year a super special kind b/c of a severe food allergy) They can't eat it until everyone is ready. They take one bite, no more. They wait. I give them a gbread man die cut. They write their name on it. Then we look at what they bit off first. If they bit his head, they tear the head off their paper die cut. If they bit a leg, they tear off a leg from their die cut. Same with arm. Then we graph them. It looks like this:

[​IMG]

Great, great, great fun for the day!! I tell people it's my favorite day of the year. We have so much going on and the parents all love helping that day! I order a gbread prize for them from oriental trading. The other teacher & I wear gbread aprons from oriental trading. All great fun, we take a big ole' group photo of everyone involved in the day. I have some stuffed gbread shaped pillows that we hold in our picture. Good times~ (Some years one room has a decorating gbread house activity. They love working on it, but we don't actually eat it. Just for fun. This year b/c of the food allergy, we're leaving it out.)

[​IMG]

4. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Nov 25, 2007

Oh thanks for those pics Monica! I teach students with severe/profound intellectual disablities and we will be doing the Gingerbread theme for the next two weeks. I know that sounds long but I like to be very repititious with my kids and we read the same story book for a week or more so they can really get to know it. I'm going to go to Michael's and try to find those wooden g-bread men. Was it recently that you purchased them? I love the graph idea too. I am asking parents to send in all different types of cookies and we are going to have a cookie tasting. The students will then choose and graph their favorites.

jlj, I have made ornaments in the past with cinnamon and glue. They are really easy and the kids can use cookie cutters to make them in the shapes of bells, candy canes, etc. Once they dry we decorate them with glitter and such. They turned out great! And they smell good too! Here's the recipe:

1/2 cup ground cinnamon,
    1/3 cup applesauce, and
    1 Tbs. Tacky glue

Mix in bowl and stir until well blended. Work mixture in hands for three minutes to form a ball. If it is too dry, add applesauce, if too wet, add more cinnamon. Knead ball on cinnamon-sprinkled surface until it holds togehter well. I roll this out and use cookie cutters for the shapes. I also use a drinking straw to cut a hanging hole. These can be air dried for 24 to 48 hours. Turn several times. They can also be baked in a slow oven.

5. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Nov 25, 2007

I have a page on my website for pre-k teachers about holidays:
    Vanna's Holiday page You can scroll down to see all of our activities- some of them are the same that Monica posted. My favorite one is the popsicle stick snowflake, you can see a picture of it there, just scroll down to activities. I also have a gingerbread page with activities: vanna's gingerbread page We also do our g.man unit for 2 weeks as my students are ESL.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 25, 2007

For bells I have used the tiny planting pots. We painted them with craft paint and sprinkled with glitter. Then, run a sparkly pipe cleaner through the hole in the bottom (now the top) and attach a bell. They make adorable bells that can be used as decoration or as ornaments.
    Angels - use the craft clothes pins (the old fashioned kind that dont actually clip) and you can paint them white or get intricate enough to make the face at the top and the bottom a white dress. After they are dry add a doily folded in half to make angel wings and a pipe cleaner or plastic ring for a halo.

7. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Nov 25, 2007

I woke up at 5 this morning with this idea going through my head and I coulnd't go back to sleep!!! (don't ya hate that?)

I saw some bundles of fake poinsettia plants at the dollar store. I thought I could cut one flower off for each child. Then they could sparingly paint white glue on the egdes of the petals and dip it in glitter.
    I kept thinking of a way to attach them to the cheap wooden frames from Michael'sthat they could paint green and put their picture inside.

I thought about setting up a bunch of pointsettia plants in a nice display and take each child's photo infront of the plants.

What do you think??

8. jlj

jlj Devotee

Nov 25, 2007

Thanks everyone! I knew I could count on you all to come up with some great ideas!!! :2up: Keep them coming!

9. monica

monica Comrade

Nov 25, 2007

That sounds like a good idea.

For parents gifts we do a picture frame from Michael's. I buy the $1 wooden frames & spray paint them white. I have kid drawn Christmas stamps and stamp them on the frames. The kids use markers to color in the pictures. We put a picture of the kids by our tree.

Wooden Gbread Men- It was the end of October!! :eek: As soon as they put Christmas stuff out, I grabbed them up. Things like that are gone so fast & my team teacher had trouble rounding up 12 for her kids a few weeks ago. You never know though. (She was my aide for 4 years, turned teacher. So we are doing alot of things together this year.)

I thought about making those cinnamon ornaments for my kids as a token of Gbread day. I found a little sweet poem on someone's site to attach to it.

Vanna, I very well could have gotten some of my ideas from you over the years. It's all a hodge podge of things I've thought of combined with stuff I've found over the years or seen other teachers do!!

10. monica

monica Comrade

Nov 25, 2007

Me again, I could have edited, too lazy tonight-

Vanna, I went back to look at your page and I for sure borrowed the "Ho, Ho, Ho" game. I now do those games for EVERY theme or holiday. It's a HUGE hit!! I started with letters in the beginning on apple die cuts. I'm now putting less letters and more sight words. It's fantastic!! The parents enjoy playing it with the kids when they come in to visit as well.

Another thing I'm doing for every theme/holiday/month whatever now. I buy & laminate a simple pack of calendar #s. (Though making your own on die cuts is cheaper) I have some sentence strips laminated with velcro dots. The kids put the #s in order. I started with 1-5, then 1-10 and keep adding to it! Great for # recognition & sequencing!

I also put letters on die cuts & laminate. I have the children put them in alphabetical order for me.

Oh and I have a poster game. I drew a Christmas tree and colored it. I cut out packages from wrapping paper and glued on the bottom. I used die cut light bulb's and put capital letters on them, they're glued onto the tree. It's laminated. Then I made die cuts with lower case letters. They match the letters.

I found on someone's site another Gbread "home" activity. There's a letter for each family to mail to someone with a gbread die cut. It's about how our gingerbread man ran away. The person you mail it to (hopefully out of state) mails you back a postcard from their state. Your class puts them on a large map. I think it's a great idea, but not sure if I wanted to add another thing to December b/c everyone is so busy. Plus, my kids aren't ready for the map portion. Good idea though.

My home project is simple. I send home a large piece of construction paper with a tree drawn on it. They are to color, paint, decorate the tree & send it back. We hang them in the hall. I give this long story with it, that's true. My Dad & I always made a poster like that when I was little. He worked alot and it was a huge deal that I looked forward too, the night he came home with a piece of poster board & a thing of glitter, I knew it was time!! It was very special and hung on my door for months after each year!!! Makes me smile to think about it now, I think I'll call him right now and remind him about it! :wub:

11. sewsouth

sewsouth Companion

Dec 3, 2007

do a bell countdown paper chain. Next week we'll go ahead and put it together. It has a poem about counting down until Christ's birth, I can't remember right now. I'll try to remember to look for it and type it here if you want it. I trace a bell, they cut it out and add glitter. We add the poem to the top. They help make the paper chain to tear off each night.

We also make a Christmas book/card about the Christmas story for our parents. I can't remember the words and can look those up to if you want. Something like "3 wise men" on the first page. We cut & glue 3 simple people figures, "follow a star" and they paint a star on that page, "to the Christ child" or something similar and we glue popsicle sticks like a stable, add a die cut Baby Jesus and add strips of paper for hay at the bottom. I could be leaving out a page, don't remember right now.

Could you please share the countdown chain poem or maybe a photo and also how the Christmas book/card is made.

Thanks so much

12. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Dec 3, 2007

Another angel craft:

Use a paper plate. Cut a large triangle (body) use the pieces you cut off as wings (turn them and glue with the curve of the plate towards the bottom of the triangle). Glue a plastic spoon to the back of the dress, curved side to the front. Draw a face on the spoon, use yarn for hair, and decorate the front of the dress with glitter. (Does that explanation make sense? I don't have any photos. My mother still has the ones I made as a preschooler on her tree. I've made them with toddler classes.).

13. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2007

We started our angel craft today.

The kids cut out round, pink circles. I already had the "singing" mouth and closed eyes (smilie mouth with little eyelashes; hope you know what I mean). My teacher aid is adding the hair (I used a paper shredder!).

I purchased very cheap round doilies (40 for $1 at Dollar Tree); all you need is one per child. Fold the doilie back on each side; sorta making a triangle. You can cut off the sides if you want.
    Glue the head to the triangle doilie.
    Tomorrow I will trace their hands on yellow construction paper to make the angel's wings. I'm thinking of outlining their hands with glitter.

Also, you can make a Christmas tree with 3 sizes of hearts on green construction paper. Glue from bottom up starting with the upsidedown large green heart. Then add the middlesize heart, upsidedown. And then, finally the small heart.
    Add a yellow star on the top.
    I'm going to have the students use paintbrushes dipped in various colors to make dots/ornaments.
    Have fun!

14. keep_smiling

keep_smiling Rookie

Dec 4, 2007

I have the kids paint with marbles and red paint (roll marbles back and forth in a cake pan with dots of red paint--we all know how--right?) onto white paper. Cut them out into the shape of a candy cane and mount them on red paper with a green bow.

In a mailbox mag. many many years ago there was a poem for Rudolph the shapely reindeer. Triange head, rectangle antles. Shinny circle nose. If you want that one I can post it for you.

Santa-- I paint the thumb and base of the hand red. the palm pink and the fingers white. when they make a handprint it looks like santa.

15. jlj

jlj Devotee

Dec 4, 2007

keep smiling - Yes! I would like the copy of that poem. Well be reading Rudolph. I usually make the hand/foot print reindeer but yours sounds cute too and it would be nice to do something different! Thanks!

16. srh

srh Devotee

Dec 4, 2007

I teach K--one of the several things we do is a "tear art snowman." We provide a background sheet, glue sticks, and lots of construction paper scraps. Students then tear various colors of construction paper to form a snowman with all the "fixins." They can add small white paper to show snow falling, a tree near the snowman, etc. It is fun to watch how creative they get WITHOUT using scissors!