Christmas around the world

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Hopeful-Teacher, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Hopeful-Teacher

Hopeful-Teacher Rookie

Oct 23, 2011

I am doing a Christmas around the world play. I am not having any luck finding costumes that I can buy to use in the play. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    I need costumes for Mexico, Germany, Italy, and I don't remember the others ones off the top of my head right now.
    Thanks for any help and suggestions!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2011

Just curious...do you have students who celebrate other holidays in December, and, if so how will you acknowledge their traditions?

Be VERY careful with costumes that you DO NOT stereotype...sombreros and serapes for Mexico, for example, would be insulting. Design your costumes based on the traditions, not preconceived notions of what might be a Geman or Italan or Mexican 'costume' when the reality is that most people in those nations dress very much like you do.

4. Hopeful-Teacher

Hopeful-Teacher Rookie

Oct 23, 2011

I was planning on the costume matching the tradition. I am covering as many traditions as I can; including Kwanzaa and Hannuaka.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find costumes?

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2011

I was going to reply earlier but couldn't think of a way to ask it that didn't sound like I was being mean... but what do you mean by costumes from around the world in regards to Christmas? I have family in Germany and they wear normal clothes like we do on Christmas day. If you want the audience to know which country the kids are representing, then I'm sure signs would do just the job.

6. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2011

So you are doing "Holidays around the world" then not Christmas around the world?

Who is going to pay for these costumes? Why don't you ask the students to bring some in (like related to their own traditions- we did a read around the world week one year and one of the days was international dress, you would be suprised with the different 'costumes' the kids came in with)and see what they come up with?

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 24, 2011

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 24, 2011

Keep this in mind from http://www.annarbor.com/passions-pu...livingode-to-halloween-costumes-plus-warning/ :

Every Halloween, activists and writers in the ethnic media catalogue and protest the year’s most egregious offenders of taste and racist stereotyping. This year, it started when the “Pocahottie” costume crossed my desktop, “Is that an ear of corn in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?”

Then came the “Illegal Alien costume” complete with green alien eyes, orange prison jumpsuit, and a green card. The “Illegal Alien mask” adds a big bushy mustache to the green alien eyes, making the implications quite clear.

There is the “Barakula” latex mask turning our respected president into a vampire — sucking the lifeblood out of the health care system? The “Fee Ling Yu” mask of an “Oriental” man sports a creepy buck-toothed smile, “If you’ve ordered take-out and you see this fortune cookie at your door, keep it locked.” There are more.

Several years ago, I helped local activist Linh Song with her national protest against the offensive “Kung Fool” costume, a gross latex mask stamped with every “Oriental” stereotype, topped off with a headband with the Chinese words for “loser.” This year, as the Halloween catalogues show up in the mail, I rush to recycle them before the kids come home from school. They do not yet need to know.
    Asian American blogger, Angry Asian Man, captures the absurdity best when he describes the “Teen Asian Dragon Lady” costume: “Yes, your teenage daughter can dress up like a Suzie Wong-like prostitute, complete with Oriental fan.”

Frances Kai-Hwa Wang is a second-generation Chinese American from California who now divides her time between Ann Arbor and the Big Island of Hawaii. She is editor of IMDiversity.com Asian American Village and a popular speaker on Asian Pacific American and multicultural issues. Check out her Web site at www.franceskaihwawang.com

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 24, 2011

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 24, 2011

One year my class dressed up to depict Swedish children celebrating Santa Lucia day. They were gorgeous. It was an evening program, outside, and just breathtaking. Another year, not for Christmas, my kids dressed in German garb (we had some actual liederhosen and leather shorts) and studied Germany. The room was decorated with items representing the country and we served German foods. Parents were a big help. We depended on parents to gather the needed clothing and accessories; if you can't depend on parents, then it's kind of cost-prohibitive.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 24, 2011

Funny thing - after the Germany studies, my class was becoming Safety Patrols. One of the boys thought the safety patrol belt was liederhosen!

12. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2011

Could they wear paper chain necklaces in the colors of their country's flag?

13. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Oct 24, 2011

That is a GREAT idea. They could make the flags themselves!

14. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 24, 2011

Good luck with the costumes! We've done this before at my school and it turned out beautifully. Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions for costumes off the top of my head.

We have had volunteer seamstresses make costumes for us. One place that would be easy to check out is American Girls. They have lots of traditional costumes for the dolls from different places and histories.

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 26, 2011

16. Hopeful-Teacher

Hopeful-Teacher Rookie

Oct 27, 2011

Thank you for those that posted helpful comments! :)
    I am basically trying to teach the children the different ways people celebrate holidays to show they how we are all different but still alike. It isn't about the 'costumes" as much as the different ways to celebrate the holiday.
    The costumes were to just make it more fun and cute for a first grade play.