Christian school teachers...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Teacherella, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Jun 2, 2008

Are there any Christian school teachers here? Have you always worked in a Christian school? If not, how about a public school?

I was just hoping to hear what you love/dislike about working at a Christian school. If you worked in a public school, can you compare the two? Thanks!

3. jwilliamson

jwilliamson Companion

Jun 2, 2008

Well, I have never "taught" in a public school, but I student taught in 2 different ones. Also, I have only been teaching where I am at for 1 year, so you can take my opinion for what it's worth :)

I personally, would much rather work in a Christian school
    1. because the school shares my belief and I am allowed to pray with my students and talk about spiritual things.
    2. Because it is very close knit and feels much like a family.
    3. I have alot of parent support since they are sending their child specifically to my school

4. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Jun 2, 2008

I think my main concern is the really low salary. I would get $25,000ish compared to $48,000+ in a public school (with a Masters). Money isn't everything, but it's a huge factor when you live in a HCOL area. Luckily, my DH makes a great salary, but I want to also make a great salary (especially knowing that I could)!

5. jwilliamson

jwilliamson Companion

Jun 2, 2008

I admit my salary is on the low side - but it doesn't really bother me. I taught lots of preschool/elementary things at my church for 7 years (from Bible class to directing VBS) and that was pure volunteer work. So, the way I see it, is I am still doing what I love to do, except now I am making that much more!

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2008

Salary depends on the type of school. I teach in a private school with over 800 students and tuition will be $10,000 next year. I make very close to what the public school teachers in my area make. I started in a very small private school and made lots less (comparable to what you are looking at). I did it because I needed the experience to teach where I am teaching today. The only way that I would do it is if you need experience. On the other hand, if you do take it I would keep looking because if they are paying so much less than they are used to losing teachers before they start the school year. If they wanted to retain staff, they they would need to find a way to pay the going rate for the area. A good rule of thumb is that a private school should pay around 85-90% of the public school pay for the area if they want to retain a premier faculty.

7. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Jun 2, 2008

I consider teaching in the christian school more of a ministry than a "job". I like that there is a discipline policy that is followed, I can share my faith and teach the kids Bible stories. Yes, the pay is usually lower. Luckily we are in a postion now that money doesn't have to dictate where I work. I had to leave teaching preK and K about 13 yrs ago because of the pay issues. Now I'm back in school working on my degree to get back into teaching.

8. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Jun 2, 2008

The problem is that I have a Masters and I feel like getting paid $25,000ish is almost an insult to my education. I understand that some schools can't afford to pay much more, but I didn't realize it was that low. Honestly, I would probably teach here for a year for the experience and then move on.

9. lou reed

lou reed Companion

Jun 2, 2008

I'm working at a Catholic school next year and was able to negotiate a salary that's a little higher than my current one. My new principal was actually prepared to offer me way more than I actually made - something close to $10,000 more - because she misheard me or something, but I would've felt really awful about making way more than the more experienced teachers so I corrected her right away.

(and never listen to anyone who says that you shouldn't bring up salary in a job interview. it pays - literally - to be assertive.)

10. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Jun 2, 2008

How did you go about negotiating your salary? I never know what to say after they offer me a position. Any suggestions of what to say after the offer is on the table?

11. lou reed

lou reed Companion

Jun 2, 2008

Assuming you're in the position where they're offering you the job, be up front - "I'm really interested but I'm concerned about taking a pay cut. How do the other faculty members supplement their incomes?" If they're able to, they may have some sort of flexible spending that they can conjure a few extra bucks. If not, a lot of schools offer extra pay for teaching other classes or heading student groups. Another luxury of private school is that teachers can advertise private tutoring services and set their own prices. It doesn't hurt to ask, and you should never be afraid to ask for a salary that matches your experience and education level.

(I have to admit, my experience might have been a little different than some - I was/am already working in a public school, and the private school principal emailed me and told me about the open positions, so I was able to use "I already make x amount and don't want a pay cut" as leverage to move from my current school to the new one.)

12. newtoschool

newtoschool Rookie

Jun 3, 2008

My first teaching job was at a Catholic Private school. First on a positive the children for the most part are amazing. Most of the staff is awesome and that fact that you can pray is great.

On the negative, parents who pay for schooling do expect their children to make excellent grades. My catholic school accepted all denominations and there are all types of hypocrites in this world. I was expecting an easy going atmosphere and was met with downright hostility at times. I subbed in the public school prior to getting my degree and I found that the clientele are more appreciative. My spirit was crushed and so is my faith in my religion and humanity.

I had a new principal and vice principal and there only desire is for numbers, numbers and more numbers and I battled the teacher against the perfect children all year. I was very disappointed.