Christian school advice

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by zboss, Jun 13, 2019.

1. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 19, 2019

I take it you're Christian because some posts have struck a nerve. If that's the case, please don't use the words closed and minded together. Let's not even go down that road.

If the user doesn't want to work at a christian school, who are you to tell the user otherwise?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  2. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 19, 2019

You're not closed minded at all. You're a free-thinker which is what all of us should strive to be. We have enough illegal proselytizing going on in public schools. We certainly don't need all of these religious schools indoctrinating children and ruining them for life.

3. minnie

minnie Cohort

Jun 20, 2019

Wow. Just...wow.

Backroads, greendream and pommom like this.
  4. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jun 20, 2019

Do you hate yeshivas?

5. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jun 20, 2019

So let's ask ourselves if it meets the previously mentioned criteria. Is that a school that teaches a religious doctrine to children as part of their education? Based on your answer, what would infer the answer to be? (The answer is yes)

whizkid likes this.
  6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jun 20, 2019

Wow, so you hate people you don't even know because of the group they are in? Isn't that called pre-judging which is also known as prejudice?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  7. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 20, 2019

Don't see where the user said he hated someone.

8. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jun 20, 2019

Nope don't hate the people hate the institution.

9. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jun 20, 2019

So you think kids should not be educated in religious practices? Various religions have stuff you have to learn, you know. If you're Jewish, there's Hebrew. If you're Catholic, there's Latin. Do you hate that schools exist to teach that to kids? Or is it broader--do you hate that kids are raised to be religious?

10. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jun 20, 2019

I hate the idea of teaching a religious doctrine to someone who isn't mature enough to decide for themselves what faith they'd like to follow. Yes educate about religion and the different options out there, no do not establish a school based on that religious doctrine.

11. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jun 20, 2019

Interesting. Do you think parents should be able to raise their kids in a certain religion?

12. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jun 20, 2019

I don't think parents should force feed any religion to their child. Just because you're X religion does NOT mean that your child has to be. Just because X religion makes sense to you and explains the universe or whatever, does NOT mean that it'll make sense to your children. I don't believe in forcing kids to attend church on Sundays, I don't believe in reading your religious text to them on a regular basis, and I definitely don't believe in forcing them to attend a school that is going to shove that religious doctrine down their throats (aka all religion based schools).

What I do believe in is encouraging your child to make an informed decision about what religious practice makes sense to them. Letting them do it on their time, when it comes to THEM. I believe in teaching, not preaching. I mean I married a Catholic. He's a Bishop at his Church. Have I ever set foot in his church? Once. And will probably one more time if he dies first. Does he preach to our kids? Oh yeah on a regular. Not because he says hey you're gonna listen to this Bible verse. But because they want to know. They consent to the information presented. Just the same if they read my books on witchcraft, voodoo, and the rest of the occult. Because they want the information.

whizkid likes this.
  13. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jun 20, 2019

Well here's a logistical question then. If you're an adult who's already made your informed decision to be religious, what do you do with your kids on the Sabbath while you're worshiping?

You married a Catholic Bishop? Okay, now I know you're full of crap.

14. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jun 20, 2019

@Aces, while I get your issue with religious schools, I'm not sure what your Pagan faith has to do with it. You don't like religious institutions. Fine. What does paganism or whatever faith have to do with it?

I think that's where the fight came in. By bringing in your faith, you made it sound like it was a bias against a group, not a philosophy.

15. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jun 20, 2019

What illegal proselyting? What makes it illegal if it's not being taught from authority in a government school?

And who are you to say a person of a faith you are biased against is ruined for life? That's a bold claim.

Tired Teacher likes this.