Christian school advice

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by zboss, Jun 13, 2019.

1. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 16, 2019

[​IMG]

2. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jun 16, 2019

Actually yes, we are talking about the kid's behavior. Let's keep it on that and not on opinions of whether we want to work in a Christian school. That is unfair to the OP.

czacza, Pisces and Backroads like this.
  3. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jun 16, 2019

No, it was mentioned that the kids' behavior was not a good reason to run from the school. Which is not what I was referring to. The bullying should have been addressed, and should be in the future. And I'd still run the other away from the school.

whizkid likes this.
  4. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 16, 2019

How so? You can't separate the child's behavior from the environment the child is being subjected to. The OP is also subjected to this environment just by working there. I don't know the religious beliefs of the OP, but if they're not in sync with the school, the OP will be next. That's a feeble attempt to not get a Christian school criticized.

Aces likes this.
  5. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 16, 2019

Leave OP, leave now.

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jun 16, 2019

I was referring to the comment that "my pagan butt wouldn't be caught dead to start with." If someone said "Hey I work at a school that is a LGBTQ school (realize this doesn't exist in reality) and someone is making fun of someone who is insensitive towards someone who is gay, and someone says "my straight butt wouldn't be caught dead to start with." I'd find the comment a bit insensitive. I am not saying this was Aces intention, but since this post is about tolerance, I think we need to be sensitive in our comments whether the school is geared towards Christians, LGTBQ, female only school, or any other group. If a slight error is made and someone uses a picture of people celebrating with champagne glasses about it, yes I will say something.

agdamity, Pisces, Backroads and 2 others like this.
  7. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jun 16, 2019

Oh but it's fact. One of the factors that can be used to justify and downplay the bullying is the very environment itself. If this was a public school without a set religious doctrine, would this conversation have really happened? Possibly — can't say it wouldn't have. But the environment invites the actions. My pagan butt wouldn't be caught working there and I'll stand by that. Aside from this incident, I'm willing to bet that it's not the only one of its kind.

Religion should be taught in schools from an academic setting, but not as a basis of establishing a school.

And yes, I went to a Christian middle school. And can tell you from experience things like this are a common occurrence. Yeah sure you can go to the teachers because someone is trying to convince you that what you believe in is wrong because God. But half the time they either don't do anything, or do something so ineffective they might as well not have done anything at all. Admin team won't be much better. Hatred and bullying breed in environments where it's tolerated.

whizkid likes this.
  8. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 16, 2019

With the way a specific religion likes to attack them, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

9. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 16, 2019

[​IMG]

10. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 16, 2019

I still dont classify the op's situation as bullying. The kids were trying to preach to those unbelievers (it is afterall a Christian school), they just did so in a blunt way. Yes, it should have been worded better. Anyways, there is bullying everywhere. I attended Christian and public school. I also taught at both Chrustian and public school. From my experience, bullying is way worse in public schools.

11. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jun 16, 2019

My thing is... That's kinda the whole point. If it were the "unbelievers" telling a Christian student that what they believed in was wrong and harassing them over it, I would expect a harsher response. You can't be tolerant and accepting and tell someone what they believe it's wrong at the same time. But why should it be tolerated to start with? The Bible doesn't say go recruit people. It says be as one with God and be a light to anyone who wants to come to it.

12. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jun 16, 2019

I agree with you that this situation is bullying. It shouldn't be tolerated.

The bible actually does say go and tell everyone about the faith. So in a way, yes it does recruit people. It also says to love one another--meaning all others.

The #1 reason that people come to the school I teach at is not Christianity. The #1 reason is because of the kindness of the students and the lack of bullying. This is a choice of the teachers, administration, and parents who choose to put becoming good people above test scores and other things. Bullying happens everywhere, but if teachers and administrators decide to seriously try to stop it, it will be greatly reduced.

Tired Teacher, Backroads and Aces like this.
  13. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jun 16, 2019

I may have missed it, but did the school itself say to not do anything about what the OP saw as possible harassment? From reading the original post my understanding was the school employee who saw the incident was the OP, and she didn't know what to do. They're kids, and they are not always going to say things in the best way. If you feel it is bullying, pull the kids aside and talk to them about how it is perceived. If you are wondering the school's position on this, see if you can find a veteran teacher who you trust to ask.

Backroads and readingrules12 like this.
  14. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2019

You know, you for this analogy kind of screwed up. It's not "insensitive towards someone who is gay" -- it's just a straight student. Your analogy presumes fault on the non-Christian's part.

Incidentally, public schools are far from immune to this. Students are allowed to proselytize to each other, and teachers generally can't intervene.-- and the exact same "it's not bullying, we just really care" excuse can be trotted out. The teacher who stops the bullying could be accused of an unconstitutional violation of freedom of speech.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. If there's bullying going on, you absolutely should. But make sure you have your ducks in a row when you do, and be aware that it could lead to a fight..

Backroads likes this.
  15. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jun 17, 2019

I'd have to have deeper understanding of what the kids were doing.

There's a difference between obnoxious proselytizing or awkward belief discussion and bullying.

We are already seeing biases on this thread.

OP, can you give examples of what the students were doing? Was it more extreme than stating their proselytizing beliefs?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019