Christian Preschools?????

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by amethysst, Jun 4, 2009.

1. amethysst

amethysst Rookie

Jun 4, 2009

I am wondering for those of you who work in Christian Preschools

1. What is the chain of command? Do you just have a director or is there some one above the director?

2. Does your school have a school board?

3. Are teachers allowed to attend meetings of the school board?

4. Do you receive minutes of these meetings?

5. Does your preschool tithe and/or pay rent to the Church?

3. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 4, 2009

I used to work at a aChrisatan preschool. We had a director. The chain of command above her was the church board. (Pastor,elders) I'm sure there were minutes kept but we never received them (teachers) and I don't think the meetings were open. The school did pay the church for using the building.

4. KarenPreK

KarenPreK Companion

Jun 4, 2009

1. What is the chain of command? Do you just have a director or is there some one above the director?

I teach in a Catholic school. We have a principal, above her is the priest, and above him is the superintendent of the diocese (which is like a school system for several Catholic schools).

Yes.

We could if we wanted to. Most don't.

No, but we could probably get them if we asked.

No. The church actually forks out huge amounts of money to help the school budget.

5. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 5, 2009

I work in a Catholic School, also. Our chain of command is the same as Karen's. However, each month a teacher is asked to attend the school board meetings and report the minutes to the other teachers at a faculty meeting. We also have a Parent Teacher Organization who represents us at the Board Meetings. Our school is on the same site as a church, but we are a not financially supported by the church.

6. Terri in CA

Terri in CA Rookie

Jun 5, 2009

I am a director - co founder of a Christian Preschool. my "Bosses" are the board of directors

Yes

They are alowed to if they wish. If they have issues or requests I present them to the board for them. Ex they wanted multiple copies of CD's for our centers so they didnt have to share. I presented it to the board for discussion along with our CCL license and it was approved.

No they dont, but if they wanted them they are avaliable in my office

No, we do not rent space from the church, we have our own space that we have rented off site. Our Church only supports us with prayer and a member of the school board is a member of the Church.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 5, 2009

I used to work in a Christian preschool. There was a director who had her early childhood classification. The pastor was involved as well with making decisions. It got a little muddled because the pastor didn't know anything about running a childcare program.

We did not have a board, only because we couldn't find any members. I'm not sure why this was allowed to happen.

No board = no meetings. I'm sure would have been allowed to attend if there had been meetings to go to.

See above

Yes, we paid rent. As well, we were responsible for paying all of the church's utilities. Again, if we had had a board, and not the just pastor running the show things would have been different. The preschool is no longer in that church - they moved to their own building because obviously things were not working in their favour.

8. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2009

I'm testing to see if this will go through. I keep getting a pop-up saying "message too short--please lengthen to at least one character"--which, of course, it already was!

9. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 5, 2009

1. What is the chain of command? Do you just have a director or is there some one above the director? Director of Preschool and she answers to the Board of Directors.

2. Does your school have a school board?Yes.

3. Are teachers allowed to attend meetings of the school board?If they wish, but none ever have that I know of to date.

4. Do you receive minutes of these meetings?No, not usually. If there is an issue pertaining to a teacher, then they will have that info. We have scholarship info that goes on in meetings that is confidential to protect the families who need the assistance, so that is why minutes are not given out.

5. Does your preschool tithe and/or pay rent to the Church? Our preschool tithes to the church since they are considered a "weekday ministry" program.

10. pabef

pabef Comrade

Jun 5, 2009

I am director of a church based preschool. I make all of the decisions, but answer to the pastor. We do have a board of directors and I meet with them often. They are a support group for the preschool. The teachers are allowed to attend meetings, but most of what we discuss does not involve them. It is usually matters regarding tuition, maintenance of building, budget etc. We do not take minutes at our meetings. We do not pay rent, utilities, etc. We are on a tight budget, and our church feels like we are a ministry of the church, therefore they should support us.

11. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jun 7, 2009

I teach preschool in a private christian center. We have two supervisors, and a director. Above the director is the child care board which consists of the director, the senior pastor, the finance seceratary who is also a church member and anoher church member at large-- usually soemone involved in children's ministries of some sort, but not always. Teachers do not attend these meetings as they take place during oru work time, however the director does advocate to the board for us. We generally have staff meetings on a m onthly basis and a couple time s a year memebers of the board will come and we will have the opportunity to meet with them. There is an open door policy to approach the senior pastor or the finance secretary if we have an issue with the director, but the director is pretty approachabel so that is rarely necessary. Generally speaking the chain of command beginning at the bottom is aide, lead teacher, morningsupervisor, afternoon supervisor (she has more authority than the morning supervisor becasue she is also in charge of scheduling etc and is in charge if the director is not there, almost like an assistant director), finance secretary( she is also the liason for things like building maintenance etc), senior pastor, board of elders. As far as rent goes, we are located in the basement of the office building for the church, and we contribute to the utility costs and if we make a profit the church asks us to pay "rent" some years we help support the church and other years they help support us financially.

12. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Jun 9, 2009

I am the director of a Christian preschool. The pastor is my immediate supervisor. I make most of the curriculum and schedule decisions. We do have a council and meetings are held once a month. Teachers do not attend but they could. Anyone is welcome. We also keep minutes which are posted in the church news letter every month. We do not pay the church because we are a ministry of the church. The church actually contributes to our financial success. Recently we offered to take no money from the church though due to hard times. We have become self sufficient. I am a representative of the church even though I am not a member. The church is my employer.