Christian interview

Discussion in 'General Education' started by princessbloom, Mar 18, 2014.

1. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Mar 18, 2014

Friday I am interviewing for a position at a Christian school. I am very excited about this opportunity! I've only worked in public school before, and therefore have only interviewed with public. I feel like I know what to expect from interviews on the public end, but what should I expect from this interview at a Christian school?
    The application was pretty extensive, asking me for my testimony and my convictions on things like alcohol, divorce, drugs, etc.
    Aside from these questions, what else will they ask? I'm in the dark here and want to be as prepared as I can be. Not sure the type of biblical questions they may ask.

Thanks so much!

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 18, 2014

I've never interviewed at a Christian school, but I'd expect the interview to be similar to a public school... maybe a couple questions on the role that God plays in your life, the nature of your religious faith... if anything though, I'd expect you to get more questions on "Helicopter parents."

4. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Mar 18, 2014

Helicopter parents?

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 18, 2014

Parents that constantly hover over you

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 18, 2014

I think it depends on the school. Some Christian schools would be far more concerned about your faith than pedagogy. Some will interview just like a public school would.

A very large Christian school near me doesn't even require certification for its teachers. But they do require women to wear only dresses/skirts and insist that all discipline coming from a woman towards a boy 12 or older go through a male colleague. They also insist that all teachers attend the associated church unless their father or husband preaches at a different church.

7. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Mar 18, 2014

Oh, right. That would be a good question. I've dealt with those types before.

Thanks!

8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Mar 18, 2014

Teaching at a Christian school, I have to warn you that they vary as much from one to another as public schools do--maybe even more. Find out what denomination the Christian school is (Methodist, Evangelical, Non-denominational etc.) This can tell you a lot about the type of questions.

They will ask you the typical public school ?'s, but also will ask you about your faith and how you might share your faith with the students.

9. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2014

I'd always thought of it as the kids they're actually supposedly hovering over... though I suppose for all practical purposes it's the same.

10. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Mar 19, 2014

Good advice. It's affiliated with a baptist church, which is my background.

thanks!

11. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Mar 20, 2014

I used to work in a christian school. Be prepared for questions similar to a regular teaching interview, as well as faith based questions. I believe baptists are pretty rigid as far as theology…

Be prepared to get much lower pay also.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 20, 2014

I don't think you'd be asked biblical questions, but maybe how you would incorporate biblical principles in your teaching. I'm thinking back on when I enrolled my kids in a Christian school. One question they asked was a broad one about what my beliefs were and, though it was not a church in my denomination, I basically used the Creed as my answer. I think they will ask you if you are a member of a particular church and if you can provide references at that church. If I were you, I would ask if they have a curriculum for bible study and what other religious instruction they expect (participation in services in church, in the community, etc.).

13. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Mar 24, 2014

I taught in Christian school for 22 years. Be prepared to give your testimony, how God figures into your life, and how you will incorporate Biblical principles throughout the curriculum. And yes, you will have helicopter parents, as well as those who complain that their kid should not be making D's when they've given so much to the school. Not to burst your bubble, but just to be real, Christian schools are like any other school. Not every parent and even every teacher or administrator acts like a Christian. Best wishes either way!