Christian Alternative Rock Bands

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by AspieTeacher, Aug 10, 2009.

1. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

I break down every time I hear Jeremy Camp's "This Man" and the lyrics alone would make anyone cry their eyes out. I love all songs by Jeremy Camp. This is coming from a former serious destructive life style sinner who has been redeemed and saved. Another artist who really makes me break down is Chris Tomlin especially his version of "Amazing Grace" and his other 2 songs "Jesus, Messiah" and "I Will Rise". If you ever think it's too late to accept Jesus, it's never too late. I was going downhill even though I was a good teacher, my personal life was destroying me until I found God and the love of Jesus in my life. For those who know me from this site, i've changed for the better. Now that I have accepted God into my life, I have a positive outlook on life now. Thank you for not giving up on me God. :hugs:

Troy in Downey, Ca

3. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Aug 10, 2009

Congratulations and good for you for turning things around!!

Those Chris Tomlin songs are AMAZING!! The Motions by Matthew West is the theme song for my school year this year...I LOVE that song! My teaching career has really been rocky and I've been very down about it. But that song makes me remember that I love my job and I can change it if I have the right people on my side! I have to trust that God will guide me in the right way and stay away from the negative influences that are crushing my career!

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2009

Every U2 album has at least one song that is pretty much a full-on gospel.

5. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

I am very grateful for Jesus turning my life around. It all started with that Left Behind Series and I really hadn't understood the importance of where I was going. I was extremely bitter too. I'm so glad that he works in mysterious ways too.

6. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

My favorite Christian song is "Praise You in This Storm" by Casting Crowns. It is beautiful and has a wonderful message that, even though sometimes we don't see how God is working in our lives, we should still praise Him and have faith because He is in control.

This was especially poignant for me a year ago when my town and school were destroyed by a tornado. Although it was hard, we had to praise Him in the storm and we are all better for it.

Congrats on your new life :)

The song:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ype1xE0wzsg

7. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Aug 11, 2009

Thank you so much Iowa Teacher. I'm so grateful for people who never gave up on me. I was extremely bitter. I even isolated myself from my parents as well. I can tell you in the Christian Community my lifestyle is a lie and it's wrong and now I realize why. I had to learn for myself why God didn't approve. He never gave up on me, he led me on this path and I found him at last. The Christian music is what gets to me the most. It's wonderful and the message is what is worth listening to. I heard that song by Casting Crowns earlier and I was breaking down in my car. I can't think of ANYONE but Jesus who would lay his life down to save me from my own destruction and sinful life. Believers are very special people to me, they have helped me see the real world at last.

8. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

That's what's so great about finding faith! You have learned from your past and you have been forgiven because we are all sinners and now you can start fresh and move on from the past. :)

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 11, 2009

I'm loving Phillips, Craig and Dean right now-Revelation Song is so much fun to sing along with in the car on the way to work!

I also love Casting Crowns, Iowa! I got my mom 7 cd's for mother's day of performers on my christian station-they are too good to have to choose!

10. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2009

Yes, the Lord is very gracious and so patient with us, isn't He?! I, too, am thankful to the Lord for saving me when I was a teenager, so many years ago! :)

Whatever you do, keep your eyes on Him and seek Him daily.

I LOVE Newsboys and many other Christian artists as well.
    :love:

11. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Aug 11, 2009

Jem,

It feels good to become a believer of Christ. I've never had so much happiness in my life. I feel like every day is a new day and it's worth living. Jeremy Camp and Chris Tomlin are my all favorites.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 11, 2009

What a beautiful testimony and witness, AspieTeacher.

This line makes me cry. I'm not even sure of who the singer is.

"How could a lamb rescue the souls of man?"

It goes on, "...You give the healing and grace our hearts have been hungry for."

13. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 11, 2009

I've had QUITE the life that I left behind. A life I couldn't even BEGIN to tell about here. I have BEEN to the bottom.

The song Amazing Grace (and with the addition of My chains are gone...Chris Tomlin).... I think it takes on a WHOLE new meaning for those (of us) who HAVE been at rock bottom, and lay there looking up.

Amazing Grace - how SWEET the sound
    That SAVED a wretch like me

I mentioned to a friend that I STILL to this day...so often feel as if the words to the Casting Crowns song East to West was written specifically for me.

Today I Feel Like I'm Just One Mistake Away From You Leaving Me This Way

I NEVER thought I would bring this video over here... but...

This is a video from my church. And it's PERFECT for the person who is at the end of their rope...and isn't totally sure that there IS help out there (or IF there were...that they would be WORTHY of that help CARING whether they make it or NOT).

I pass it on now...that you may find strength in it...or pass IT on to someone who NEEDS it.

http://www.willowcreek.com/wca_prodsb.asp?invtid=PR22765

(When she says "Do you see me?" EVERYTIME...I cry.)

And a line from a song that makes my heart soar?

Nicole C. Mullen's:

I know my Redeemer lives.... I spoke with Him this morning!

14. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Aug 11, 2009

I agree with the beauty of every Christian song listed so far on this thread. I, like Iowa Teacher, am especially connected with "Praise you in the Storm" because it reminds me of when my former school was destroyed in a tornado and how God brought them through that.

I listen to Christian music every morning before school starts to get my heart in the right mood.

15. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

MercyMe, Lincoln Brewster and 10th Avenue North are also awesome bands!! I saw them in concert earlier this summer and it was even better than listening to the radio.

Congratulations on pushing through and meeting God Aspie, the journey has just begun!

Bring on the Rain is another great song, but I don't know the artist.

16. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 11, 2009

This is one has that meant so much to me! By Avalon.

Everything to Me

I grew up in sunday school
    I memorized the golden rule
    And how Jesus came to set the sinner free.
    I know the story inside out
    I can tell you all about
    The path that lead him up on Calvary

But ask me why He loves me
    And I don’t know what to say,

But I’ll never be the same because
    He changed my life when He became…

Everything to me!
    He’s more than a story
    More than words on a page of history.
    He’s the air that I breathe,
    The water I thirst for,
    And the ground beneath my feet
    He’s everything, everything to me!

Christian songs have helped me through a lot of tough times. I love all the songs mentioned. Thanks for starting this thread.

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 11, 2009

I love the older song, Be My Magnificent Obsession, by Steven Curtis Chapman. Does anyone else know that one?

18. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 11, 2009

I love that song by Avalon. This weekend I bought a ticket to see Casting Crowns in September. There was a great seat right up front, but only one, so I bought it and am going to go see it by myself! I love "Praise You in this Storm", "East to West", and "Life Song".

19. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Aug 11, 2009

I know that one daisy... I absolutely love some of SCC's music... I've stopped listening to Christian radio, as I find that much of Christian music isn't all that great musically (I tend to be a little picky with music)... however the songs and groups/singers listed so far are among my favourites.

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 11, 2009

Phil Joel has always been my fav. Newsboy, and he's doing a private concert in Napa, about 40 minutes north of us. I'm thinking tickets will be pricey, as it's a fundraiser, but I would LUUUUUV to go.

I'm going to add in Third Day as another of my top favorites-love their new 'Born Again' song.

21. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 11, 2009

I love David Crowder, Shawn McDonald, Shane and Shane.

22. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

I've always been a fan of Michael W. Smith and Point of Grace.

23. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2009

"Bring the Rain" is actually by MercyMe! That's one of my favorites--listened to it often when my mom was going through cancer treatments.

24. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Aug 27, 2009

I went to the Harvest Crusades about 2 weeks ago and got saved in front of 30,000 under the direction of Greg Laurie. The Katinas, Chris Tomlin, Skillet, Third Day, Crystal Thomas, and others were performers who did this out of the generosity of their own hearts. I was moved to tears by Chris Tomlin's exit performance on the last day (Sunday) of the Harvest Crusades and they had fireworks in the background while he sang. There were over 50,000 people and they turned away almost 6,000 people the last day. It was fantastic. This is probably one of the best thing that I have ever done in my life. I gave my heart to Jesus, ended a destructive lifestyle, and showed my dedication to his love. Thanks for all the responses and support from my fellow colleagues. This is just the beginning for me.

25. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 28, 2009

I also love "Thief" by Third Day. Anyone familiar with that one?

There are so many great ones. I want to mention again that there is a website, Faith Comes by Hearing, that has DVDs of the New Testament that you can load right onto your ipod. It is really convenient to be able to listen to the NT while you are doing errands or commuting, or go to sleep listening to the Bible being read to you! Our church got a bunch of these for free, but I think the cost is low - about 10.00 and they come in lots of languages. It is an awesome ministry - they are reaching people all over the world in their own languages, not with ipods, but with solar powered speaking boxes.

Anyway, just wanted to put this out there if anyone was interested. I love the Christian music and fills such a need in my life daily, but it is even greater to have the whole NT right there on an ipod!

26. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2009

:) Life is so good with the Lord!
    Your sister in Christ,
    TS

27. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Aug 29, 2009

LOVE the song "Thief!" It is one of my very favorites from Third Day...right up there with Agnus Dei.

28. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Sep 5, 2009

I also break down with Third Day's song "Born Again" and here is a sampling of the song lyrics.

Today I found myself,
    After searching all these years,
    And the man that I saw,
    He wasn't at all who I'd thought He'd be,

I was lost when You found me here,
    And I was broken beyond repair,
    Then You came along and sang Your song over me

Chorus 1

It feels like I'm born again
    It feels like I'm living
    For the very first time
    For the very first time,
    In my life

This song represents me when it came to my previous life before finding Christ. I have to say the lyrics which parallel my former life are: I was lost when you found me here, and I was beyond repair.." I was the type who would push Christians away even when they were nice to me. I was lost, seriously lost. I was being lied to, led astray, going downhill. Mind you, I wasn't taking drugs, using alcohol but I was living a sinful life and I don't miss it all. It feels good to have Jesus in my life... The best moment of my summer was attending the Harvest Crusades at Angels Stadium (Anaheim, Ca) and giving my life to Christ. Pastor Greg Laurie did this for us that were in need of true love and understanding in our lives. I'm single and I plan to remain that way until I leave this earth. I would rather remain dedicated to the Lord.

29. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 5, 2009

hey everyone,

I don't know if I am supposed to do this, but since this is a Christian themed thread I am going to ask you all to please check the Prayer Requests and my post there. Thank you.