Chris Van Allsburg

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by sundayn, Oct 26, 2007.

1. sundayn

sundayn Rookie

Oct 26, 2007

My team does an author study unit. I am thinking of doing Chris Van Allsburg. Does anyone think his books are too dark for 3rd grade children or do you think it will be a great way to explore critical thinking? Thanks for your input.

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 26, 2007

I guess I haven't read a lot of his books. I have read The Polar Express, Two Bad Ants, Jumanji. I never thought of those are dark, are the other ones bad?

4. GrandHighWitch

GrandHighWitch Companion

Oct 27, 2007

I student taught third grade last year, and my cooperating teacher did a unit on him. Now I'm teaching fourth grade, and we just finished reading his story "Just a Dream," which was in our basal. That was one of my absolute favorite books growing up, and if it's appropriate for fourth graders, I think third graders would be able to handle it. It would definitely make them think critically too. I think you should go for it!

5. sundayn

sundayn Rookie

Oct 27, 2007

Thanks for your input. I guess a better word than dark should have been too deep. Whoops! I appreciate the contributions.

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Oct 27, 2007

We have read "The Stranger" in class when I was teaching inferring. It was really great! I love his books!

7. taraes1982

taraes1982 Rookie

Oct 28, 2007

I bet he would be great to do an author study on!!! I bet Patricia Polacco would be great for third grade too! I did it at the end of the year with my second graders and they LOVED her....she is so interesting! (We even ended up naming our hamster Patricia!)

8. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Oct 28, 2007

Patricia Polacco

I love her! I own several of her books and our librarian met her once. She goes to some sort of meet the author thing every summer. I'm student teaching in third grade. I think the other author wuold be fine for third grade too.

9. sundayn

sundayn Rookie

Oct 28, 2007

Yes, Patricia Polacco is great, but most of my team is doing her so all of the library books are checked out. I think I will give Chris Van Allsburg a try. I think boys would particurly like his work. Thanks for the feedback!