Chris Van Allsburg Author Study

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MrsNickerson, Dec 23, 2010.

1. MrsNickerson

MrsNickerson Rookie

Dec 23, 2010

I am planning on doing an author study of Chris Van Allsburg with my third graders when we return from Christmas break. I plan on focusing on inferring, the fantasy genre, and the author's craft specifically, but any input would be greatly appreciated. I have scoured the internet, and I can't find too many ideas to pull in. What have you done for author studies? Do you have any Chris Van Allsburg lessons that have been highly successful with your students? Thanks in advance! :)

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2010

I use the Mysteries of Harris Burdick to begin story writing with my students. They love it and it always creates a very fun piece!

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2010

Some of my students chose Chris van Allsburg for their author study in December. We focused on author's message and narrative structure. We'll be moving into mysteries in January and will use Mysteries of Harris Burdick then. My students are grade 7 and 8, and much of their work was self-directed--with mini-lessons using a variety of other texts.

6. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Dec 23, 2010

edhelper.com has a biography packet. I just printed it today for our Polar Express lesson. I am pretty sure it can be customized by grade level.

I have some other things but they are more Polar Express focused than author-focused. If you are interested I am happy to share.

7. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Dec 23, 2010

I did a lesson with Two Bad Ants that dealt with perspective. The students then had to imagine themselves as an ant and write a story from an ant's perspective. They really enjoyed it.

8. MrsNickerson

MrsNickerson Rookie

Jan 8, 2011

Thanks for all of the feedback! We just finished Week 1 of our Author Study, and I wanted to post a link to my blog! I wrote about some of the activities we did, and I included several pictures of charts/activities. I hope this saves you from the HOURS and HOURS of planning that I did! :) You can find ideas for the Author Study here: http://oneextradegree.blogspot.com/2011/01/van-allsburg-author-study.html

9. dudeteacher

dudeteacher Rookie

Jan 8, 2011

The Mysteries of Harris Burdick

The Mysteries of Harris Burdick is the perfect story. I've used it with third graders...they loved it. I've used it with fifth graders....they loved it. I gave each student a different picture and the phrase that went with it and had them finish the story. Amazing author and illustrator and The Mysteries of Harris Burdick is the perfect book to use to introduce.

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 8, 2011

Our story this week was "The Stranger". My kids loved it!