Choosing to teach elementary school

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MizDubya, Oct 19, 2008.

1. MizDubya

MizDubya Rookie

Oct 19, 2008

Hi All,

A quick question for all you elementary school teachers: What made you choose to teach elementary school? And two related questions: What is the best thing about teaching elementary? What is the most challenging?

I'm asking because I am currently teaching middle and high school English at an independent school, but will (hopefully!) be going to grad school next year to get certified to teach in public schools, and I sometimes think that I would enjoy my job more, and be a better teacher, with a younger group of students.

I guess I wonder what your day is like, what your prep is like, and just anything else that might help me understand what a day in the life of an elementary teacher is like! :)

Thanks!

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 19, 2008

I chose elementary because I couldn't choose which subject to focus on. I like all subject areas. Now, if I could go back, I would have also gotten a degree in science (earth science or geology, which is what I'm working on now).

Best thing about teaching elementary? You only have about 20 or 30 kids all to yourself. You really get to know them and care for them. I taught kinder and fifth, and I LOVE both grades. This year in kinder, my kids work so hard on their writing. I'm a big writing person because it's the most authentic work that they do in school. And I LOVE it when they write a story and they WANT to read it to the class during author's share time.

Most challenging? Trying to get parents invovled or even care.

Prep? In kinder, I spend about 1 1/2 hours to 2 prepping a day. When I taught fifth, I spent about 30 minutes to 1 hour prepping. We don't get prep time duing school, though, like secondary. You teach non-stop basically once the kids arrive to the time they leave. I prep before and after school. Although, this year, because I teach half day kinder, I get to prep 1 hour in the morning.

Also, if you teach k-3, your focus is teaching the kids how to read and write. 4-6 is more about applying skills, critical thinking, essay writing, etc.