Choosing the right program?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tumblewitt, Jul 20, 2014.

1. tumblewitt

tumblewitt New Member

Jul 20, 2014

I am an expat living in Japan. I teach at an International kindergarden. I have been away from America for about 1.5 years and really enjoy my job working with young children (Ages 2-5). I have a degree in an unrelated field of study. In the future, I am looking to get a job in management or writing curriculum, I am not sure exactly. To apply for these jobs, even internally, my resume needs to look different from other ESL teachers here. I have been considering getting a Master's in Early Childhood Education online.

I am also interested in a Master's program because I don't know 100 percent if I am going to be living in Asia for the rest of my life and want to be certified to teach in western countries as well. Also, the pay is exponentially better here for teachers with home country certification.

That being said, I have researched programs quite a bit and found the cheapest online degrees from little known schools. Here it doesn't matter where the degree came from or how much you paid- just that you have coursework in education and you are certified... I don't know whether this is the correct course of action.

However, I don't want to be in a ton of debt at the end of this just to get a Masters and Certification. As I can work in my field without them. Cost wise, I really only benefit if I minimize the debt I'd take on trying to get them. Some schools I have found; the tuition is less than $10,000. I'd consider more expensive schools (grants are rare but always a possibility), but I don't want to enroll somewhere that will put me in more debt than $10k.

I was wondering whether anyone else has gone through this process as an Expat Teacher or English Teacher and has advice as to which programs I should be looking into.

Also have u heard or done the Teach Now program?

3. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Jul 20, 2014

I do not know what an expat is, but it seems that a master's in curriculum and instruction would fit your needs better since you said you want to write curriculum.

4. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jul 20, 2014

Name brand schools help if you aren't connected to anyone hiring in my opinion.