Choosing between two jobs

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kassrose, Jun 15, 2012.

1. kassrose

kassrose Companion

Jun 15, 2012

Posted in art forum but didn't get many responses.

I was offered two art positions today and I’m having trouble choosing! Help!

A little about me: Recently art certified, have previously taught art in an afterschool program, taught a full year of 5th grade, subbed 1 ½ years in all sorts of settings

About the jobs:
    Same:
    Distance from house
    School District
    Salary
    Large, beautiful classrooms with kilns
    Low SES
    Same prep period length
    Nice, supportive principals

Different:
    School A is K-8, regular ed, 850 students, 30-35 kids per class
    School B is K-8, special needs (ED, MR, etc.), as well as being the alternative 45 day placement for kids with behavioral issues, 80 students, 8-10 per class with 2 aides

So my question is, which do I choose? Pros/cons? Is it just personal choice? I’m feeling overwhelmed by sheer numbers with school A, and overwhelmed by the unique nature of school B.

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 15, 2012

Personally, I'd go for School A. I don't think I'd be cut out for School B. Again--that's just me! :2cents:

4. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Jun 15, 2012

Definitely a personal choice depending on your comfort level....How comfortable are you working with the type of student population in school B? The fact that there are such SMALL class sizes with aides seems like it would make a world of difference, even if you were a bit intimidated.

I would definitely choose B, just because I have seen students with ED and other behavior issues be able to shine in art classes. If it were just a job for teaching math or whatever, I would probably choose A.

:)

5. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Jun 15, 2012

B....I agree with the statement above. Also, which one has more job security? Congrats!

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 16, 2012

I would go with A unless you have training and experience with the population of B. To me that isn't a situation you want to "learn as you go" and if you aren't trained/100% comfortable then it isn't fair to the students either.

Complete personal choice, but that's my .02. Congrats on the job(s) and let us know what you decide to do.

7. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 16, 2012

If you are not really really good at behavior management I would not go for B. Also you need to remember the aides are people and people can all be different. Some may support you and help out and some may happily watch and help you fail miserably.

8. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2012

I agree with the other posters...unless you have specialized training and experience with the student population in school B, I'd definitely go with school A.

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 16, 2012

School A would be the one to pick if you REALLY want to see the children get what art is about without any MAJOR concerns of behavioral issues.
    School B would be a BIGGER challenge and you won't be breezing through faster like you would with School A. You would be dealing with a lot of issues, and NOT to mention MORE paperwork to fill out. You would burn out if you do not have the mental toughness for all of the above, so choose wisely.
    I'd pick A!
    Rebel1

10. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Jun 16, 2012

I pretty much work in what you would call school B...private day school for children with autism...major behavioral issues.

We have art therapist, one for elementary and one for our adolescents. Ive been there 4 years and we've been though 3-4 art therapist due to the nature of the job. Art therapist have to have a masters degree as I understand it. 3 out of the 4 left the position due to not being able to do art due to the behavior. They want to do actual art therapy and not just art. and the other art therapist had to be let go due to being injured on the job by a student pulling her hair and messing up her neck.

I enjoy my job and i know how to handle the kids...but you have to be comfortable with the setting and the kids.

While art is amazing for kids with special needs, great for sensory needs and a little bit of therapy. I believe it would be better in a one on one setting.

With all that....if you're just a regular art teacher...A would be my choice.

11. emb382

emb382 Rookie

Jun 16, 2012

Agree. I love working with ED, but it isn't for everyone.

12. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 16, 2012

Go with school A, is my advice.

You really need some special training for the job at school A. At a minimum, a few years of excellent classroom management would be a must, but also having some background in special needs populations is also a must.

Don't think you won't be helping students in need at school A -- you would be.

13. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 17, 2012

I love working with students in school B, but if you're not sure about it then chose A. I would also consider which would look better on a resume if you decide to change schools (School B), but, most importantly, you've got to go where you are more comfortable at this point in your career.

14. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2012

I would go with school A in a heartbeat. ED students are usually the ones that, well, me and them don't mix.