Choosing between 5th grade or 6th grade- HELP!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mountainmama, Mar 16, 2017.

1. mountainmama

mountainmama Rookie

Mar 16, 2017

Hello! So I just found out that I have been offered an unassigned contract with a large public school district. I have been subbing in this district and am currently student teaching here as well. With an unassigned contract, I get to see the open schools/grades and pick and choose which ones I want to apply to. From my knowledge, there will be a 5th grade position open (at the school and grade I'm student teaching at) and a 6th grade language arts position open (where I subbed a lot). I love both schools and know that I will be so stuck if I do end up getting an offer from both. I love 5th grade because I stay with a set group of students and I have worked with the team and am familiar with the school. I also love 6th grade because you get to teach many groups of students and you plan/teach basically one thing. Any thoughts to help my stressful mind?

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2017

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  4. HermioneGranger

HermioneGranger Rookie

Mar 17, 2017

I say go for fifth. Generally they're less drama, more motivated, and more eager to please.

runsw/scissors likes this.
  5. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Mar 17, 2017

Planning one subject - even with modifications and changes for different classes and students - is really a plus. I missed teaching other subjects when I was only doing one, though. I'm happier dipping into everything. And I'll never teach middle school again. I know there are people who love that age group, but it definitely wasn't my bag. I think the differences are largely personal preference though.

6. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 17, 2017

Given the choice, I would take grade five... Middle school is not my thing.

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 17, 2017

Fifth is my favorite.

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 24, 2017

I love 5th graders. Old enough to start being independent and don't need the hand holding, still young enough to love stickers and want to please adults. The couple times I taught 6th graders I'd noticed the change to more drama/attitude by the end of first semester. Second semesters those years were the longest I'd ever taught.

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Mar 24, 2017

I love 5th (although this year's group has made me long for 4th...), but teaching just ELA would be so amazing. I think I'd have a hard time choosing between those two options.

However, I really love having the same group of students all day, and I do think I'd miss teaching math, even though it can be excruciating at times - haha! And 5th graders really are amazing. They're independent, but still sweet. They can have high level discussions and read amazing literature, but they still play with toys at home. I enjoy them.

6th graders are middle schoolers, so...that could be either awesome or terrible, depending on how you feel about teaching middle schoolers! :p

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 24, 2017

For me, the 5th grade position is a no-brainer. I don't really like teaching Language Arts. If teaching Language Arts all day is a plus for you, then go for that one.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2017

You don't know you'll be offered both. Present a strong package for each job for which you apply. And if facing multiple offers weigh multiple factors.

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 25, 2017

I get very bored the years I have to departmentalize and teach only one subject. I also like having the same kids all day because of the ability to integrate, and make deeper connections with the students.