Choosing a subject to teach

Discussion in 'General Education' started by inspireNteach, Jan 29, 2014.

1. inspireNteach

inspireNteach Rookie

Jan 29, 2014

How did you settle on what subject you're currently teaching? Was it your endgame when you first started out/went through school?

What should be taken in to account when choosing a subject? Aside from, "do what you enjoy."

Any suggestions for those choosing a subject and going through school? Should they consider the job market, first and foremost? That said, are special ed and middle grades math and science the only subjects that "make sense," for aspiring teachers to pursue?

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 29, 2014

No, teaching was not my first choice when I was in school. I teach the subject that I studied as an undergrad.

4. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 29, 2014

The same here (mostly). I never wanted to be a teacher, but my first love/passion is in a dying industry so my parents told me to major in education (for the job stability). I do LOVE history so I chose to major in secondary education and history. But, I don't always get to teach the specific courses that I want to - I teach whatever I'm told to that year (ancient history, geography, us history, world history, random social studies electives).

If I had the patience, I would get the special education certification because that field seems to be hot everywhere, while middle grades may not be as marketable. In Maryland, your certification is in grades K to 6 or 7 to 12. A degree in secondary math and biology are in high demand here, as well as elem education and special education.

5. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 29, 2014

I wanted to teach secondary, so my only choices were my BA subject, which was English ... or special education. (I also have an MA in counseling psychology, so I could have also chosen pupil services. The job outlook for school counseling was poor, so i decided to go into teaching.) I passed both CSETS for English and sped so I could have gone either way. I ended up teaching sped because I liked the mix of psychology/behavior and teaching curriculum. And the job market in sped was less impacted.

Bottom line, I'm teaching what I'm interested in ... Lucky for me, it's also an area with job openings.

6. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jan 30, 2014

I chose to teach middle grades because I knew from the beginning I wanted to work with that age student. The subject was a bit more difficult for me. I ended up with a strange combination of subjects. I chose math (what I currently teach) because that is what I was best at when I finished school. The other subject I chose was my favorite to study when I was in school. I will say after I started college and saw all I could do with math I did gain a love for teaching it that I most likely didn't have when I started my undergrad program in education.

7. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Jan 30, 2014

I am certified in language arts and social studies. Through college I always thought that I wanted to teach language arts, but now I much prefer social studies.

8. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Jan 30, 2014

I think content is a lot easier to teach than skills.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 30, 2014

I started out teaching elementary which is what my undergrad is in. I did that for two years before moving to middle school and then high school special education. Never did I think I would be in special education; however, I'm still in sped but in a different capacity.

10. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Jan 30, 2014

I have thought about trying difference grades etc, but I think middle school is definitely for me.

11. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2014

Since the time I was in kindergarten I wanted to be a kindergarten teacher. It did take me a little while to get going on my career. I had some of my own kids. My degree is in early childhood development. This is my second time teaching kindergarten. I taught 4 years of first grade and one year spec. ed. I don't know that I was cut out to be a kinder teacher. I really like first grade.

12. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Jan 30, 2014

Definitely consider the job market. No, I started out majoring in Early Childhood with a reading endorsement, and had a second major in a foreign language. Then I went back later to get certified to teach that language and TESOL.

13. chemnerd19

chemnerd19 Companion

Feb 2, 2014

I chose Chemistry as my content area because I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the subject, in a "wouldn't feel like my life turned out right if I taught anything but this" sort of way.

However, with that being said, I do think you should really take the job market into consideration when choosing what you want to teach.