Choosing a grade level...K or 1st...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by New2NC, Dec 1, 2007.

1. New2NC

New2NC Rookie

Dec 1, 2007

I have recently moved to NC and attended a job fair today. Several offers were given, and I have narrowed it down to two. Although certified in K-6, and also Special Ed, I have been teaching 1st grade for three years and 2nd for one year (that being the first grade I taught). I'm trying to decide whether to stay in 1st grade or take a Kindergarten position. Any words of wisdom to help me decide?? I really love the school that offered me the 1st grade position, but the faculty for the Kindergarten position was great as well.

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 1, 2007

Well, ask yourself if you will be happy stepping down the pace a little and being in a classroom with much younger children. The leap from K-1st is tremendous. You will have to teach them what it means to line up, where the bathroom is, why we have to share, no, you can't go play with blocks in the middle of our phonics lesson, wash your hands, this is how we line up in the cafeteria, etc. So, if you will be happy with a younger group, and able to break down things into even smaller steps, and able to accept the really young kindergartener who is very immature, maybe K would be good. I have found that Kinder teachers are unique people and need a strong humor and interest in these little ones.

I teach first, and I don't think I could do the K thing. I would honestly like to try 2nd because they are more independent and not afraid to spell by themselves!!!!!

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 1, 2007

I taught kinder (after vowing that I would never teach this grade when I was in college) for 2 years and LOVED it!!!! Yes, it is tough, especially in the beginning, but it is also so rewarding. I still miss this grade so much (I moved up to fifth this year and I absolutely love this grade too). But, I wouldn't mind going down to kinder if I had to. anyways, if I was given this choice between first or kinder, I know I would have a very hard decision to make, but I would pick kinder.

5. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 1, 2007

Maybe choose Kinder just to have the experience.

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Dec 1, 2007

That's funny Peachyness... I vowed I would never teach first grade (at least until I had more experience) and here am I in first grade, and I love it!!!

7. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Dec 1, 2007

This is my 1st year teaching and I am teaching 1st grade. I absolutely love it. The kids came in knowing that letters made sounds. Now I have a class of 16 readers!

One day in October, we were doing a choral reading where I read the line first then they repeated it. About 1/4 of the way through the selection, I stopped reading. The whole class continued without me. You couldn't have slapped the smile off of my face that afternoon.

8. New2NC

New2NC Rookie

Dec 3, 2007

Well I thank all of you for your responses. They have helped with some more pros for kindergarten. I have another interview today and a second interview for the 1st grade position. I'll have to make that decision later this afternoon, I'm sure. Thanks again...I like the "try kinder for the experience" comment. Good way to think of it.