Choking Game / Pass-Out Game ??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Amanda, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 17, 2005

Has anyone heard of this?? I read this story yesterday, and thought I would share so parents and teachers would be aware of this dangerous game that kids are playing to get a rush.

This week:
    Girl, 15, Dies Playing 'Pass-Out Game'
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,165950,00.html

Last month:
    Idaho Boy Dies While Playing Choking Game (10 year old)
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,162379,00.html

In April:
    Choking Game Is Deadly Child's Play (13 year old)
    http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Health/story?id=987294&page=1

Another story:
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-07-19-suffocation-games-on-rise_x.htm

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 17, 2005

Actually I have heard of it. I think I saw it in a movie.

4. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2005

What's wrong with some kids today?? Of all the stupid things I can remember doing, nothing compares to some of the trip things you hear about now.

5. Amanda

Aug 17, 2005

It's scary - many kids start as young as 10 or 11 and they don't realize how dangerous it is... It starts out as a game at a slumber party or whatever... The idea is that they cut off the blood to the head and just as they're getting ready to pass out, the pressure is released and they get a rush and feel tingly. I read about one girl who did it at a slumber party, slipped into a coma and had permanent brain damage. They think it's fun and have no idea this could happen... Then kids get addicted to doing it and start doing it alone... If they don't release the pressure in time, they pass out and then no one is there to release the pressure and they never wake up again. :(

6. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 17, 2005

I have heard of this (STUPID!) game but attributed it to teens. Thanks for reminding me it can happen with my 9 and 10 year old students.

Alicia :)

7. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 17, 2005

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2005

We had this situation with our grade 7's and 8's a few years ago...got worse for awhile after one of their peers was killed in an auto accident, and came to a head when one of the students couldn't be revived quickly. (The kids were doing it in the washroom at school and on the bus). We had a public health nurse and a doctor come into the school to speak to them about the seriousness of what they were doing. One more thing to be concerned about!

9. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2005

I think I just saw this "fad" on 20/20 or something within the last month. So scary what happens with our kids. I am thankful I am in the "trenches" so that I can be aware (even though I still am in the dark at times).

10. Amanda

Aug 17, 2005

I'm glad to hear it's been in the news... It was so sad to read the stories of parents who saw the warning signs but had no idea what was going on.

11. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2005

It scares me that kids have always got to find some sort of thrill younger and younger. When I was in high school- spray paint sniffing was all around. I even had a "friend" that was an honor student, shy, quiet, that tried to get me to sniff paint with her. How do we raise our children or teach our kids to be smarter than that? Mine was instilled as ultimate fear that I would end up losing my mind and living unaware in a mental institution. But not all kids respond to that.

12. karlyn

karlyn Rookie

Aug 18, 2005

I hadn't heard of this until I saw it on a news show. My 13 yr.old daughter saw the broudcast with me. We were both pretty shocked!

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2005

I remember in jr. high..some kids holding their breath & then someone pushing on their ribs or stomach & this girl blacking out for a minute... Looked STUPID then!!!! So watch for this as well.

14. Ms.MB

Ms.MB Rookie

Aug 18, 2005

I also remember this going on in during my middle school years. I had heard of it but didn't witness it until I walked in the girls restroom and saw how they did it. It was really scary, and I didn't know what was really going on, I thought they were fighting or something. Students use their arms to push against anothers chest and they would stop pushing when they felt the student go limp. I don't think they did it right though because the student just came up smiling. I didn't see anything funny about it, I was so scared I would get in trouble just for walking in on the scene and be labeled as an accompliss. I later dropped a hint to one of my teachers that they might want to check out what's going on during passing period in the girls restroom. The administration must have gotten reports of the incidents too because I never heard about it again.

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2005

Ms. MB
    That's exactly what they were doing!!! Except they did it right in a classroom, where there was an upstairs & downstairs. I didn't like seeing it happening either!!!

16. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 18, 2005

I've often thought the same thing. Although I am often shocked, I am thankful to have the chance to know about the new fads and things that are going on with kids. It helps me know what to watch out for with my own kids.

17. watermark

watermark Guest

Aug 19, 2005

Good lord, just read the information that is given to you. The kids that died were just being stupid about it, and it's old-fashioned "back in my day" people like you guys that are making this fatal. I shall explain...

The "pass-out game" has been around for a looong time, it is far from a new fad. The proper, non-dangerous way is rapid breathing, hold your breath, and then have a friend press against your chest...which sounds like what Ms.MB walked in on. The only thing that they were in danger of is missing class, and here is why this version isn't dangerous.

Pressing on the chest only restricts air flow, it doesn't prevent it. The build up of CO2 in the body triggers nerve impulses causing the body to want to breath; which we can prevent because breathing is a voluntary and a involuntary function (we can hold our breath underwater, but we don't have to think about breathing when we sleep). Once someone has passed out, breathing functionality returns to involuntary, and due to the buildup of CO2, breathing returns to normal.

Of all the kids listed in the first post that died, they all did it alone, and they all had something around their neck...Stupid. That is closer to suicide by lynching as opposed to the "pass-out" game. Even if the article around the neck isn't initially fully restrictive of air, it has a strong potential to become so. They passed out, and with their legs no longer to support them, they pull their "noose" tighter around their airway. This prevents the body from returning breathing to an involuntary impulse and they die by asphyxiation. They died because of people like you, and here is why.

"Intelligent" adults find something that is "obviously" dangerous, because they read about something similar in the newspaper. They make it into a taboo, and we can't have taboos in our schools! I'll use Ms.MB encounter as an example again.

Little Jen hears about something really cool called the "pass-out game." Her friends talk to her briefly about it because they don't want to get caught talking about it, but they offer to show her later in the restroom. They begin in the restroom, but get interrupted in the process by some teacher. They can't talk about it in class now, because Ms.MB will get mad at them. Now little Jen is curious, but she can't ask her friends to help her, she might get caught; so she goes home and tries it her self. How can I prevent myself from breathing now that I'm by myself?

So many deaths can be prevented if things are just discussed with the children. This not only applies to the "pass-out game," but to all things that are considered taboo in our society...drugs, $ex, ect. Contradictory to the Bush Administration's opinions, when you hear a student talking about something dangerous, enter the conversation. Make them understand why the activity is dangerous instead of just saying don't do it, or even worse punishing them for speaking of it. This goes hand-in-hand with the Bush Administration’s view on $ex, abstinence. They say little more than don't do it premaritaly, and guess what, kids do it anyway, because they don't understand why they shouldn't.

The age old lesson, you grade a paper incorrectly and the student gets a higher grade then they should have by mistake. They tell you about it. Do you correct the paper giving the student the lower grade? NO! This only teaches them to lie or withhold the truth. You should thank them for telling you, and ensure them that they will never receive a lower grade for doing such. The same concept applies with more dangerous scenarios, but it's so much more important.

I'm watching this topic and I encourage contradictory arguments, but provide evidence to back your arguments; don’t give me easy ammo.

18. Amanda

Aug 19, 2005

You obviously are a newcomer here and posted just to cause trouble. The thread was started to make parents and teachers aware of it for the very reason of talking to kids about it so THEY ARE AWARE OF THE DANGER. The kids think it's a safe alternative to achieving a high... but they are wrong.

And for the record, most of those kids did start doing the game with friends and became addicted to the thrill of it and started doing it alone. Withholding oxygen from your brain and PASSING OUT is DANGEROUS regardless - Some kids doing it the so-called not dangerous way (according to you) have suffered permanent brain damage.

I don't think anyone here talked about punishing kids for TALKING about this. We're TEACHERS - That's what we do - Teaching/Learning doesn't happen without discussion.

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2005

after further thought, I don't want to dignify the previous post (watermark) with a response, so I withdraw my post.

20. Amanda

Aug 19, 2005

P.S. It's also funny that you ask for evidence to back up contradictory arguments, when you obviously didn't read the articles and links provided or do any of your own research. You just made assumptions about how these children may have died, and assumptions about how we teach.

Just so you know, this forum is for teachers to support one another and to discuss issues related to our passions - TEACHING and CHILDREN. If you aren't here to contribute in a positive way, please take this opportunity to leave.

You can read more about the forum policies here:
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_rules_policies

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 20, 2005

I guess I wasn't reading Watermarks post as an agrument or threatening. I was sort of glad it was posted. I had forgotten about a lot of things. And just last night was discussing with bf about what we would and wouldn't let our children watch and so on. He said let them watch it and talk about it with them. I said no way they are to young. But after reading Watermarks post I think he is right.
    So hey it helped at least me. and my children if I ever have any lol.
    You know now that I think about it my mom discussed a lot of things with me from age 13 to now (almost 30). She is has done a better job with my little sister (17). They talk about so much stuff.

22. SarahPacatte

SarahPacatte Guest

Sep 4, 2005

Education and warning needs to be implemented into pre existing programs in schools!

:( http://StillLovingMyGabriel.com :(

My son, Gabriel Harry Mordecai died on May 6, 2005 as a result of playing this game.
    I have made a website for information and many many links to other articles about victims of this game.
    One of my old neighbors who is now in his 80's, remembers playing this game when he was 8 or 9 with a group of older boys.
    Kids teach kids...
    If one child is doing this...so is another..You can bet a life on it.
    The time for lifting up the carpet and exposing this thrill seeking behavior for what it is, is now.
    Peace
    and
    Still loving all four of my children,
    Sarah Pacatte
    http://StillLovingMyGabriel.com

http://www.canyon-news.com/artman/publish/article_3310.php

My son Samuel, Gabriel's twin, and I just finished taping for the Dr. Phil show.
    We think it will be airing in September 2005

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2005

Sarah, my heart goes out to you. For me, your post said all that needs to be said on this subject.

24. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2005

I remember a friend of mine playing that game when we were in the 7th or 8th grade...sarah, my heart goes out to you.

25. SarahPacatte

SarahPacatte Guest

Sep 20, 2005

A copy of an e mail I sent to Kansas State regarding an aritcle they wrote

Hi Teachers and all... Part 1 of 2
    This is lengthly however it has very good ideas as to what should most likely be done about protecting our kids from this game...
    Also, I got an e mail last week that this game is still going.. (well, I get those all the time, I think you'll be able to see the light in this one..as well as the horror..)
    The article I am addressing appeared in the Kansas State (colligian?) paper and was scarey as it showed a non informed writing on this 'game'. Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge the danger our children live in.. everyday, different things, always bad if it's associated with getting high.... (Talk about this during RED RIBBON WEEK... DRUG AWARENESS?)
    Peace..and,
    Sarah

Hello:
    My name is Sarah Pacatte. On May 6, 2005 my son Gabriel Mordecai died as a result of playing 'Choking game'. I am writing to you in regards to an article written by Tessa French which ran in the ' Kansas State Collegian''. I am hoping you are the publisher/editor in charge and that you will run a retraction concerning some false statements in this article.

‘Choking game’ kills students, raises concerns in schools
    Published on Friday, September 16, 2005
    Tessa French Kansas State Collegian

In this article you write, "Around the nation, the “choking game” has claimed the lives of four children so far, ranging in ages 10 to 15".

I am very surprised to see the statement "has claimed the lives of four children so far." I am trying very hard here to hold back the lashing I want to give with an emphasis on responsible journalism, integrity, diligence and ignorance. I can assure you, prove to you that is one of the most bogus statements I've yet to see printed concerning this game. It is that type of 'wrongly' stating facts associated with this game that has allowed it to thrive. (I can document and prove the existence of this game as far back as 1923!) If you go to http://StillLovingMyGabriel.com you will find many links to other families of victims of this game as well as information on the game.

Please refer to the article I have pasted below. I have heard of 6 year old who have died 'playing' this game and printing the ages of 10-15 is negligent; It tends to give a false sense of security to parents of children not in that age bracket! You will find the below article link at http://StillLovingMyGabriel.com as well.

Lastly, the statement:

“This behavior is really not going on in our school," he said. "The police actually tracked Kimberly’s behavior as something she learned from a student of another community.”

Again, serving to allow this killer game to thrive! Where there is one child praciticing this thrill seeking behavior, you can bet there is more than ONE!

Thank you for your time, I do appreciate it.

Sarah Pacatte Gabriel Mordecai's mom July 31, 1991 ~~ May 6, 2005

Dr. Phil September 27, 2005 'The Choking Game'......

26. SarahPacatte

SarahPacatte Guest

Sep 20, 2005

Part2 of 2

PubMed Citation
    Articles by Le, D
    Articles by Macnab, A J

Other Public Health
    © 2001 BMJ Publishing Group

BRIEF REPORT

Self strangulation by hanging from cloth towel dispensers in Canadian schools
    D Le and A J Macnab
    Department of Pediatrics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada

Correspondence to:
    Dr Andrew J Macnab, Critical Care Research Office, L317, Children's and Women's Hospital of British Columbia, 4480 Oak Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6H 3V4, Canada
    amacnab@cw.bc.ca

Objective—To investigate a local "epidemic" of incidents of strangulation by hanging from continuous cloth towels in dispensers.

Method—The coroner's office in all provinces and territories were contacted. Five cases of hanging from continuous cloth towels in Canadian schools were identified and reviewed.

Results—There were four deaths, and one near-death, all males age 7 to 12. Two cases were attributed to a "choking game" that provides a sensation (impending loss of consciousness) described as "cool". In three cases, the child was alone at the time. All deaths were due to strangulation from hanging and all occurred in school washrooms. One child (playing with two friends) recovered after admission to an intensive care unit.

Towel dispensers were removed from the two index schools. In one province the Ministry of Education encouraged removal of towel dispensers from all schools and education of students of the dangers of "choking games".
    Conclusions—Thrill seeking from partial asphyxiation appears to underlie these incidents. Awareness of such cases should prompt appropriate education strategies to highlight the serious consequences of this form of risk taking behavior in young males. note..AND GIRLS! In Canada, these incidents have resulted in changes in the design of, and legislation regarding, cloth towel dispensers.

Keywords: youth; self inflicted; asphyxia

Injuries among children and adolescents are often the result of thrill seeking or ill considered risk taking behavior. Health threatening risk behaviors in youths usually begin with experimentation which increases with age. Risk taking behaviors tend to be found in clusters; young people who participate in one type of risk activity are likely to participate in others.1
    Two recent admissions to our pediatric intensive care unit followed asphyxiation caused by twirling while suspended by the neck from the hanging loop of a continuous cloth towel. Because this was a previously unrecognized hazard, we investigated the circumstances surrounding these and other similar incidents in Canada to guide recommendations on interventions that may reduce the number of similar injuries.

Methods

A literature review using MedLARS for the period 1966 to 2000 was completed to identify reports of death by hanging involving cloth towels in dispensers. Search terms used, both alone and in combination, were "partial asphyxiation, strangulation, towel, hanging, and age <15".

We identified all cases of death by strangulation under these circumstances in Canada by requesting information from all provincial and territorial coroners. We also searched the newspapers of major cities to identify any reported near-deaths. We reviewed all identified cases using the coroners' reports and hospital charts, and interviewed the principal of a local school where one of the incidents occurred.

Results
    Implications for prevention
    References

CASES IDENTIFIED
    We identified four fatalities and one near-death from hanging by this means. All five children had pulled down a loop of the cloth towel, wrapped the towel around their necks, and hung from it.

The first two cases occurred seven months apart in British Columbia during 1997.

CASE REPORTS

Case 1
    The first case was a 9 year old boy who suffered near-strangulation while playing a "game" with two friends in the school washroom. They had played the game before—wrapping the towel around the neck and hanging from the dispenser. The dizzy feeling was described as "cool".

Estimated time of hanging was five minutes. Initial Glasgow coma score was 6 and pH was 7.32. He had a petechial rash on his face and a linear abrasion around the neck. He received assisted ventilation for one day and had no neurological deficits on discharge.

Case 2
    A previously healthy 12 year old boy with no apparent medical or psychological problems and no known history of drug or alcohol abuse, suicidal ideation, or suicide attempts had a similar story.

Fifteen to 20 minutes after asking to be excused from class, he was found in the washroom with a towel from a towel dispenser wrapped around his neck.

Initial Glasgow coma score was 3 with pH 6.69. He was supported in the intensive care unit but there was no neurologic improvement over 48 hours. After discussion with the parents, the decision was made to withdraw life support.

Death was attributed to self inflicted accidental hanging secondary to a "game" played at school.

Case 3
    This child was a previously healthy 7 year old boy from Manitoba. In 1996, he was found hanging from a cloth towel dispenser in school, prompting an inquest under the Fatality Inquiries Act.

Case 4
    A 7 year old boy from Alberta died in 1990 after hanging from a continuous cloth towel as a prank.

Case 5
    An 11 year old boy from Alberta died in 1973. Cause of death was attributed to accidental strangulation by suspension in loose roller toweling in the bathroom, with aspiration of regurgitated food.

Discussion

Strangulation in children and preadolescents usually results from unsafe play.1 We found no previous reports of death by hanging from cloth towels in dispensers. There were reported cases of children dying after hanging from window cords,2 drawstrings on clothing,3 and a necklace.4 Digeronimo et al described three cases of near-hanging in 1994, two of which resulted from unsafe play.5 We add to this literature five cases, one near-hanging and four deaths, all likely the result of ill considered thrill seeking or risk taking behaviour.
    Partial asphyxiation by hanging is a recognized thrill seeking behavior among youths.
    An altered level of consciousness results from pressure altering cerebral venous and arterial blood flow, and an associated rise in carbon dioxide tension. The resulting sensation is perceived as pleasurable and promotes the (thrill seeking) behavior. In older male adolescents, autoerotic behavior involving partial strangulation is recognized to occur, usually as a solitary act, and may be mistaken for attempted suicide.1

Two of our five cases were attributed to playing a "choking/blackout game" at school and this was a possible cause in all five cases. Although suicide cannot be completely ruled out, all deaths were due to strangulation from hanging in boys 7 to 12 years old. Suicides before the age of 15 have always been rare.6 However, recent data indicate a doubling in the suicide rate among children 10 to 14 years between 1980 and 1992.7

LIMITATIONS
    The main limitation in this study is its retrospective nature and focus on mortality. Our inability to study morbidity resulted from information not being retrievable from other intensive care units on any children who survived after near-strangulation. For reasons of confidentiality, such information is not made available to external inquiry.

Implications for prevention

These deaths prompted legislative or policy changes in the provinces in which they occurred. Towel dispensers were removed in all schools where the choking "game" had resulted in a death or near death. In one province, a letter from the Ministry of Education "encouraged" the removal of towel dispensers from other schools and discussion with students to educate them about the dangers of such games. The investigation of one child's death under the Fatality Inquiries Act resulted in the provincial judge making the following recommendations regarding the towel dispensers:

Safety shields should be installed immediately on cloth towel dispensers in all schools, day cares, community centers, and other public places frequented by children.

The height of the towel dispensers should be lowered in any facility used predominately or exclusively by children, such that children will not have to stretch up to reach a dispenser mounted at a height convenient to adults.

The safety shields recommended by this judge are a technological modification which ensures that not more than 22 cm of towel loop extend from the dispenser. This makes it harder for children to wrap the towel around their necks or twirl from it. Mounting the dispenser at a lower height (appropriate for the age and stature of the youth using the facility) makes it more difficult for young people to actually suspend themselves from the towel.

We questioned the choice of cloth towel dispensers for hand drying in the school environment. The principal we interviewed reported that if paper towels are used, students tend to make a mess of the washroom, plug the toilets, and use excessive quantities. Hot air hand drying machines are available, but are seen as potentially harmful, and often require repair necessitating a backup method for hand drying. According to the principal, the cloth towel dispensers are seen as the least expensive, most practical option.

ATTENTION: SEND THE BELOW RECOMMENDATIONS TO SCHOOL DISTRICTS

In making recommendations for injury prevention, it is critical to make use of epidemiological data. Addressing preadolescent injury prevention through the schools may be an effective approach because schools are an important site of unintentional injury and violence (10% to 25% of all injuries to youths). Because they are also places of learning, schools can promote acquisition of lifelong attitudes to risk taking behavior relevant to injury prevention.8 Using peer counselors in the injury prevention education process may be an effective means of generating lifelong changes in risk taking behavio[/SIZE]r.9 Physicians, particularly those in emergency rooms, can contribute significantly to the health of school children if they are involved in development and organization of systems for prevention of injury.10 However, neither schools nor health care providers alone can influence the issue of preadolescent injury sufficiently to reduce an individual's risk to an acceptable level. To do this, an integrated process of educational, legislative, and environmental approaches is necessary.

Key points

Among preadolescents, self strangulation is most likely a risk taking, rather than suicidal, behaviour.
    Injury prevention principles (education, technological improvement, and legislation), should be applied to the issue: (1) education of children and teachers, (2) use of safety shields (technological improvement),
    (3) legislation requiring removal of unmodified towel dispensers and mounting at a lower height
    The cases described here illustrate that risk taking behavior probably underlies these deaths, and that established injury prevention principles incorporating education, technological improvement and legislation8,11 need to be applied to this issue.
    We recommend that students be made aware of the extreme consequences of this form of risk taking behavior,
    although we recognize that knowing the consequences of such behavior is unlikely to stop all such injuries. It is also possible that children will seek other methods of self strangulation. However, children are entitled to information that will contribute to them making informed decisions.

27. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Sep 20, 2005

This isn't something that just started recently. My best friend's boyfriend did this while we were in high school. That was back in the 80's. He learned it from his older brothers who went to school in the late 70's ealier 80's.

28. lovemyaussie

lovemyaussie Guest

Jan 26, 2006

Children are definately doing this and dying

I live in Kern County, CA in the small town of Tehachapi. This last week we had a devastating thing occur in our community. An 11 year old girl choked herself in her room by herself. In "playing" this game by herself, she never woke up, and her mother found her the next morning with a scarf around her neck. Why would kids do this :confused: Please pray for this family as they are devastated as our we, the community, for them. Please talk to your kids about this as well. I've already spoken to my 10 year old about it.

29. SarahPacatte

SarahPacatte Guest

Jan 26, 2006

ALYX.... another victim of this 'game'

I am so very sorry to hear of another death from this horrible 'game' that has been killing kids for DECADES!
    It has been classified as suicides and AeA (auot erotic asphyxiation) and never made public; Officals have never addressed this. It is a grave injustice that has been done.
    My son Gabriel died May 6, 2005 as a result of playing this game. Please, if you are aware of this 'game' then help to pass the warning on: This has got to become part our public schools 'health ed. ' classes or 'RED RIBBON WEEK'.. This game is played by those seeking a 'buzz' ... often it is first played at the encouragement of a childs peer / peers. This game is learned in the same way; it is passed on, usually by an older peer. One kid teaches another and so on.. snowball effect... wipe out.
    Not all children become 'hooked', addicted to this 'game'. However, some do and do it for years or until they accidentally die. Some have been lucky; my boy wasn't. It appears that some children have 'more' endorphines that fire up when the oxygen goes slamming back into their system. This uptake..releasing of endorphines has been described as a type of 'morphine' buzz. Most everyone knows that morphine is an ADDICTIVE substance. That is WHY.. or I should say, that appears to be the reason WHY they would par take in this continually. This game leaves no boundry uncrossed. It crosses every single line there is: Economics; Social Status: Race; Creed;.. Well liked by peers; Most notable about these kids who have died? Overwhelmingly parents and family say their child was adamently AGAINST drug use; They were well liked by peers and family; They did well in school; They had GOALS. It is devastating. I never saw this one coming. Please please help save the life of a child and warn anyone you can. If this just get's passed around the internet like some of those jokes that come around again and again...the potential for saving THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF LIVES is there...
    Again.. I am so very sorry to hear about Alyx. Please tell her family for me, tell them there is a support group online and I enclosed the link. There is also a link for my boy's site, another boy's site who died from this 'game' and a site that was put up by a Grandma of a boy that died playing this horrible game. Tell them, they are not alone, that there are many of us who know what this feels like, that we too, can't stand it... They don't have to join to read what the other posts say, only if they want to post as well..
    Sarah Pacatte Gabriel's mom \

StillLovingMyGabriel.com

NickSerna.com

health.groups.yahoo.com/group/supportforthosethatlostachildtothechokinggame/

30. lovemyaussie

lovemyaussie Guest

Jan 26, 2006

Hi, Thank You for your response.. I have since Alyx's death come up to speed with some reading and research on this "game". I am so sorry to hear about your son's death. You must miss him so much. Have you heard about Alyx on the news? I didn't mention her name. I don't know the family, but I thank you for your nice posting and will try to pass your information on through someone I do know that knows them. She was their only child... Thank You again.

31. SarahPacatte

SarahPacatte Guest

Jan 26, 2006

Alyx........

Hi:
    No, it hasn't been on the news. Someone who knows them or has a child in school with Alyx wrote to me. I am so sad.. their only child... omg... it breaks my heart... the sooner you pass that info on to them.. the better; that is if they are looking for an 'answer'. We don't have that.. we just have the shared pain........
    gosh darn it......
    Thank you for your kind words......
    Sarah

32. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jan 28, 2006

Apparently this game knows know borders. This Friday, I was flabbergasted to learn that this happens in my daughter's school. She has seen it happen in the bathroom. My husband had mentioned that he heard it on the news recently and she perked up and said: "Yeah, yeah, some kids do that at my school." I couldn't believe it. We made sure to warn her of the danger and I don't think she is involved but just the possibility sends chills up my spine. I also send an email to my principal letting him know this is going on at a school in our town as all teenagers seem to know each other in our town and if it's happening in one school, it's just a matter of time before it happens in others. I am also considering anonymously getting in touch with my daughter's principal in case she is not aware of it.

33. MerelyAStudent

MerelyAStudent New Member

Jul 9, 2006

I Need Your Permission

MerelyAStudent: I am an entering freshmen at my school, and I picked up the August edition of CosmoGirl at Wal Mart yesterday, and was flipping throgh it when I found an artical about teens who have died (or killed themselves by accident or not) by palying the pass out game. Well thankfully, nothing like that has ever happened here, but it doesn't mean it won't in the future. And I am writing a letter to our mayor and the president of our Board of Education explaining to them that a possible reason why a teen might play these deadly games is out of being bored. And the city and/or school systems could be part of the fault to that.

I have been researching "the most common causes for teen suicides" and "the choking/pass-out game" to back up my information. And comparing your explanation of what the game is and what usually happens during the game and to the teens who play it to the other ones I've looked up, I find that I might be able use your explanation in my letter, in the form of a quote from you. But I need your permission.

Please feel free to email me back if you're interested. My email address is: lil_miss_brightside92@yahoo.com .

AND ALSO: Any one else who is interested in this and would like to offer some help or advice then please feel free to contact me at the above email address.

Thank-You,
    MerelyAStudent

:thanks: