Choice Boards

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by AuburnTeach, Mar 27, 2006.

1. AuburnTeach

AuburnTeach Companion

Mar 27, 2006

:confused: Does anyone have information about or know of a resource that discusses the differentiation strategy "choice boards"? The Tomlinson book describes it very briefly, but doesn't talk about how to create one or how specifically it's used. I've done a Google search and came up empty-handed.

3. src1105teach

src1105teach Rookie

Mar 28, 2006

Choice boards can be set-up in different manners. But from my understanding you development a x number of activities that meet your standards. Everything on the board can relate to specific skill or on a few that you are covering. Then during your choice time your students are able to select the activity that they would like to go to. I have done this with spelling. I set up 6 different spelling activities and then the students select their choice. (rainbow words, word search, clay, or ...) I would as select putting a limit on the number of students at each activity.

Another way you can set up a choice board it to have activity that the students can go to when they are finished with a classroom assignment.

The board is just a management tool for you and your students. Some people use paper plates and cloth pins or magnets. The format doesn't matter. Whatever works for you!

I recommend have lots of procedures set-up before you start. Let the students to know what you expect before you start and even have them practice going to their choice activities.

I hope this is what you were wondering about! Let me know if I can help!

4. SusanMc

SusanMc Rookie

Mar 28, 2006

At our school, some of the teachers have something similar set up in there rooms. They use "I Can" cards. The cards are set up at each work station (center...one at phonics, one at poetry, etc.) The cards list all the things the student can do while they are at that center (of course they should be activities the students have been previously introduced to).

In my class this year, I just make a list of work stations of the board that are good for the week. Some of the activities are required but the other are optional. As long as by the end of the week they have completed the number of activities required that week. They fill out their info on a "contract" that is stapled to their folder.

5. historyteacher

historyteacher Companion

Mar 28, 2006

I've seen it set up where each activity is a Bloom's level. In order to get students to work at the higher level they have to choose 1 from the lower level and one or two from the higher level