chocolate dessert ideas

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Lindsnh, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jun 20, 2009

We are having a big father's day lunch tomorrow. My mom is making banana pudding which is my dad's fav. and she wants me to bring a dessert as well. I was thinking something chocolate that is easy and inexpensive to make. Anyone have any ideas?

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 20, 2009

I love chocolate covered strawberries or any other fruit!

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2009

Some gooey chocolate brownies would go well with the pudding. Add chocolate chips or chunks to the batter and then once the batter is in the pan, drizzle with some chocolate sundae syrup and swirl it through the batter with a knife. Bake as per recipe (I tend to underbake mine a little).

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2009

All brownie bakers, please be aware that baking times provided on packaging result in over-done brownies lacking any gooey goodness. Reduce baking time by a minimum of five minutes to achieve the best brownies possible. You may have to demonstrate patience by allowing the brownies approximately an hour to settle, but the waiting will be rewarded.

This has been a public service announcement brought to you by JustMe. :)

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2009

That's essential brownie information, JustMe!!!:thumb:

7. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2009

8. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Jun 20, 2009

It sounds involved, but if I can make it, I swear to you that ANYONE can make it...

Mississippi Mud Pie
    1 cup flour
    1 stick margarine
    2 tbs sugar
    1 cup Cool Whip
    8 oz cream cheese
    1 cup powdered sugar
    2.5 cups milk
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 large or 2 small pkgs instant chocolate pudding (or you can use any flavor you want, but you said chocolate)
    Cool whip
    grated chocolate

Step One: Mix flour, margarine and sugar and spread in bottom of 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 until golden brown. Cool.

Step Two: Mix one cup cool whip, cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla and spread over cooled crust.

Step Three: Mix pudding with milk. Beat with mixer and spread over cream cheese mixture.

Step Four: Top with Cool whip and grated chocolate. Refrigerate overnight.

Step Five: Enjoy!

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2009

I love chocolate pie. And not that horrible package-type or pudding-style chocolate pie--real, thick, classic pie. Yum! :)

10. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Jun 20, 2009

you could make a chocolate trifle. it's super easy and super yummy! basically it's layers of: crumbled up chocolate cake, chocolate pudding, cool whip, crushed up heath bars and 1/2 cup of strong coffee. I layer it in a pretty glass dish - and it's always a crowd pleaser! :)

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 20, 2009

Refrigerator Cake is an even-easier variant on trifle; the hardest part might be finding one of the ingredients!

Acquire a box of Nabisco's "Famous" chocolate wafer cookies (in the old days, they used to be found next to the ice-cream cones) or a tub of Trader Joe's Cats cookies - I've done this with the chocolate cats, but TJ's just introduced a lovely spicy ginger version and I'm looking forward to trying half chocolate, half ginger... but I digress).

Whip a pint or so of good whipping cream. Use Cool Whip if you absolutely must, but whipped cream is nicer.

If you're using the wafers, spread one with whipped cream and set another on top of it, spreading whipped cream on that one too. Once you have four or five stacked up, lay the stack on its side to the left of center of a pretty oblong serving plate. Continue layering wafers and cream till you've worked through half the package. Repeat with the other half package, laying the second stack right next to the first so the edges touch. You should end up with a rectangle two cookies wide and about the length of a standard #10 letter envelope. With the remaining whipped cream (whip some more if need be), frost over the top and sides. If you want, decorate the top.

If you use the Cats cookies, this works best in a bowl. Spread the bottom of the bowl with a layer of whipped cream and arrange cookies on it so they cover the whipped cream as completely as possible. Spread that layer with cream and repeat with the cookies till you run out of cookies or room or patience; the top layer has to be cream, and it has to obscure the cookies completely on top. Again, this could be decorated if you like.

In either case, refrigerate at least a couple of hours but preferably overnight so the cookies soak up the cream.

To serve the Cats version, spoon up servings from the bowl and lay them on each place on their sides so the layers show. To serve the Famous wafer version, slice it diagonally so you get zebra stripes in the slices.

One could, I suppose, add liqueur or Italian syrup to the cream...

12. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2009

Oreo Truffles!

Oreo Truffles recipe

So simple you won't believe it. I always get raves about them.

13. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jun 20, 2009

I've got a GREAT one that I make all the time!!

Buy:
    1 box of chocolate cake mix (Pillsbury is less than 99 cents)
    1 15 oz can of pure pumpkin (about $1)
    1 tub cool whip (about $1)
    1 box sugar free chocolate pudding mix (50 cents)
    2 cups skim milk for the pudding (less than $1)
    about 1/2 c. milk for cake mix
    **optional - 1 Hershey mini chocolate bar (the tiny ones)

1. Mix cake mix and pumpkin and about 1/2 c. milk in a bowl. (the milk just makes it easier to stir)
    2. Pour into 2 round cake pans and bake for about 30 min. on 375 degrees.
    3. Mix pudding while cake is baking and let it set in fridge.
    4. After cakes cool, place one cake in the bottom of a big bowl. (I have a glass salad bowl that is the size of my round cake pan in diameter that I use.) Layer 1/2 pudding and 1/2 cool whip on top.
    5. Make the 2nd layer of cake, pudding, cool whip.
    6. ** Optional - use a vegetable peeler and shave the mini Hershey candy bar on top.

EASY, CHEAP, and YUMMMY!

14. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2009

Oh, lawzy, that looks yummy! :woot:

15. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jun 20, 2009

:wow:thanks for all your suggestions!! :)