Chocolate Cake recipe?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by silverspoon65, Jun 30, 2010.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2010

I am being all domestic this summer and I am determined that I am going to win the chocolate cake baking contest at our town's fair. I live in the town where Mars chocolate is made, and next to the town where Hershey chocolate is made, so there are two contests. Of course, I have to use their brands in each recipe. The Hershey cake has to be chocolate and use at least 1/4 cup of cocoa powder. The Mars has to use their candy bars in the mix.

The recipe I use for chocolate cake now doesn't have cocoa powder in it, so I need to come up with something else. I would just experiment but BF doesn't like chocolate so I can't get away with too many trials - I will have to eat them all myself!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Double-Chocolate-Layer-Cake-101275 I thought this looked very good. I love that it used coffee.

Anyone else have a tried and true recipe? At least the basics to start with?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2010

You could substitute Mars Bars in this recipe:
    Almond Joy Brownies
    Source: adapted from Baking and Boys

¾ cup cocoa powder (recommended: Hershey’s Special Dark)

¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter

3 large eggs, room temperature

1 ½ cups granulated sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

½ teaspoon almond extract

½ teaspoon salt

3/8 cup coconut flour (could also use the same amount of all purpose flour)

2 cups shredded, sweetened coconut

2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk

Pinch salt

2/3 cup toasted, chopped almonds

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8×8-inch square baking pan with foil, and spray foil lightly with baking spray.

Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat, and whisk together well. Let stand 3 minutes. Whisk in eggs one at a time, then add sugar and vanilla and almond extracts. Fold in salt and flour and stir until ingredients disappear into batter. Spread half the batter evenly in pan.

Combine coconut, salt, and sweetened condensed milk in a bowl. Spread dollops of coconut mixture over the brownie batter. Sprinkle chopped almonds over coconut mixture. Spread remaining brownie batter over coconut mixture. Smooth carefully with a knife. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Let cool on a cooling rack, then chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Cut into squares.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 30, 2010

The best chocolate cake I've ever had was a Chocolate Mayonnaise cake. I thought it sounded strange but it tasted great. I don't have the exact recipe since it was in a book that I had but I can't find it at the moment. The author had a book signing and actually made the cake and brought it. We all had some and it was wonderful. This is a similar recipe:

Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
    - makes a 2-layer 9" cake
    Ingredients
    3 large eggs
    1 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
    2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
    3/4 cups + 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt, generous
    1 1/3 cups hot water

Procedure
    1. Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9" cake pans, or a 13" by 9" baking dish.
    2. Using an electric hand or stand mixer, beat the eggs and sugar in a large bowl on medium-high speed until thick and very light in color; about 6 to 8 minutes. Don't be shy about this—you can't overbeat whole eggs like you can with whites.
    3. Add the mayonnaise and vanilla extract, and beat on medium speed until combined.
    4. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt, and beat on low speed until combined. The mixture will look thick and fudgy.
    5. Add the water and mix on low speed until it's incorporated. The batter will be much thinner. Pour the batter into the prepared pan(s) and bake for about 30 minutes (check it at about 25 minutes), or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
    6. Allow the cakes to cool on a rack, in their pans, for 10 to 15 minutes or until they are cool enough to handle. Invert them onto the rack and allow to finish cooling to room temperature.

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 30, 2010

I know a great one, my family loves it.

1 box Betty Crocker cake mix
    Water
    Oil
    Eggs
    :)

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 30, 2010

LOL Pisces
    I don't mean to hijack but that reminds me of the episode of Friends where Phoebe is trying to find the special recipe her grandma had for chocolate chip cookies. She made a huge deal about it then it turned out it was from the back of the Tollhouse chocolate chip package :lol:

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2010

That happened with my cousin. She went nuts over my grandma's apple pie. It was Mrs. Smith's. lol.

8. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jun 30, 2010

I have a chocolate cake called Coke Cake that uses Coke (or Pepsi) and buttermilk that is so scrumptious...always get lots of compliments on it. :)

In a large bowl, sift:
    2 cups of sugar
    2 cups of flour

In a sauce pan, mix, bring to a boil, and pour over dry ingredients, stir:
    1 cup oleo or butter
    3 tbs cocoa
    1 cup Coke

Add and stir:
    1/2 cup buttermilk in which 1tsp of soda is dissoloved
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 and 1/2 cups of mini marshmallows

Pour into a well greased 9X12 pan. The marshmallows will float to the top, so push them around until evenly spread.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. I always stick a butter knife in to see if it is done in the middle. It is a little trickly to tell because of the marshmallows on the top. Do not overbake, but be sure that the middle is down. :)

Frosting
    Mix and bring to a boil:
    1/4 cup oleo or butter
    1 and 1/2 tbs cocoa
    3 tbs Coke

Remove from heat and add:
    2 cups powdered sugar
    1tsp vanilla

Spread on hot cake and sprinkle on 1/2 cup chopped walnuts.
    *1 12 oz. bottle of Coke or Pepsi is needed.
    *Freezes well.

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2010

I have a recipe that one of my Aunties gave me for a
    SCREWBALL CAKE. It requires NO EGGS.
    Let me know if you'd like the recipe.
    Rebel1

10. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Jul 1, 2010

my favorite chocolate cake is "wacky cake" it doesn't have eggs or milk. It's really yummy and moist though! Here's the recipe:

Wacky Cake

3 cups Flour
    6 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
    2 Teaspoons baking soda
    2 cups sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoon vanilla
    2 teaspoon vinegar
    2/3 cup oil
    2 cups water

Stir all dry ingredients together. Add vanilla, vinegar, oil and 1/2 cup water. Mix, add rest of water slowly (1/4 - 1/2 cup at a time) til evenly mixed. Pour into lightly greased pan (makes 1 9x13, 2 9" round, or 24 cupcakes) Bake at 350* for 30-35 minutes (until toothpick comes out clean)

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 1, 2010

Whatever cake you make, add about 2 tablespoons of instant coffee powder, and it will make your cake to.die.for...

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 1, 2010

Well, thanks guys...there goes my diet. :D

13. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 1, 2010

LOL, that's right, it was handed down from the French lady Nestle Toulousse!

14. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 1, 2010

I don't have a recipe for you but I am willing to come out to PA to taste test for you!

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2010

Can anyone say "FIELD TRIP?!?!":D

16. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 1, 2010

I'm not much of a baker, but here are some recipes from some of my favorite cooking blogs.
    Classic Chocolate Cake
    http://sisterscafe.blogspot.com/2009/01/classic-chocolate-bundt-cake.html
    Peanut Butter Fudge Cake
    http://sisterscafe.blogspot.com/2008/09/peanut-butter-fudge-cake.html
    Texas Sheet Cake
    http://www.ourbestbites.com/2008/10/texas-sheet-cake.html
    *This made me smile b/c I make a mother's day cookbook and one my sweeties from last year LOVED his mom's texas sheet cake. Her recipe sounded better than this, but it's at school.:(
    Chocolate Chip Cake
    http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2009/05/chocolate-chip-cake.html

Everything I made from this website has been TO DIE for!

17. LMT

LMT Rookie

Jul 1, 2010

This is the recipe that I use for all occassions...a family favorite right out of the Hershey cookbook!! It also includes coffee. Very moist and DELICIOUS!!

Hershey's Black Magic Cake:

Ingredients:2 cups sugar
    1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 eggs
    1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
    1 cup strong black coffee OR 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee plus 1 cup boiling water
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans or one 13x9x2-inch baking pan.

2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes (Batter will be thin). Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for rectangular pan or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost as desired. Yields 10 to 12 servings.

* To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup

18. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2010

I just found out we are doing 4th of July here, so I think I might make one of the recipes since I have an opportunity to share.

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 1, 2010

Hey, don't knock the Nestle recepie! I get all kinds of complements on my cookies and every so often I admit that I use that one. It's a darned good one! And I bake. A lot.

I was going to put in my recepie for chocolate cake, but there's one posted already that's really close.

20. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2010

1 bag chocolate cake without pudding mix
    3/4 oz. pkg. chocolate pudding mix (instant or cooked)
    6 oz. chocolate chips
    4 eggs
    1/3 c. oil
    1 1/3 c. water

Mix cake and pudding mixes and chocolate chips. Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Bake in 9 x 13 inch pan at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. Frost with desired frosting or serve with whipped topping.

This is the very easy recipe I usually use. It is so good and doesn't need frosting. I usually just dust it with confectioner's sugar. But since it is a mix, it doesn't fit the parameters of the contest.

21. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 1, 2010

That sounds good. I usually hate frosting, especially out of the can! Bleh! I do like ganache though.

Whatever cake you make, make sure you take a picture and put it on your blog. That way I won't have to make it and eat all of those calories LOL