Chiropractor

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by PeacefulTeach, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Sep 30, 2013

Does anyone see a chiropractor? I just made an appointment to see one next week. I went for a summer when I was a teenager, but don't remember much.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2013

I slipped just a little on some ice when I was pregnant with my older daughter...just enough to put me into excruciating pain, at 7 months pregnant.

The chiropractor got me out of pain in one session, and 100% better after two.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2013

I've been going to a chiro monthly For quite a few years. It makes a total difference in how I feel. And I'm covered by insurance.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2013

I don't, but my daughter does. A couple of summers ago, we almost lived there when she was getting treatment for a herniated disk. Now, she goes in for adjustments whenever she's home from school.

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 30, 2013

I love it. My hips get out of sorts at times it seems and a nerve gets pinched. Getting snapped back into place sure helps!

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 30, 2013

I've been going for about five years. I was skeptical, but I wasn't willing to take pain medication. I'm so much better. I go once a month now.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2013

I go. I can tell when I feel out of line. Luckily my chiro was my babysitter, so she knows how to keep me relaxed. I hate getting my neck done, but she just talks to me while she aligns everything!!!

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 1, 2013

I started going about 5 years ago after I was rear-ended. Once my back was healed up I only went as needed. This summer I was rear-ended again, and again I am back at the chiropractor's regularly. Just remember to ice your back/neck after you get adjusted.

10. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 1, 2013

My dad goes to one - make sure yours, like his, has a degree in something like Sports Medicine or Physical Therapy

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2013

Why?

12. BookButterfly

BookButterfly Rookie

Oct 1, 2013

My dad went to one for awhile, too. In his words, he walked in, hunched over at the waist in excruciating pain, then walked out straight as a tree and whistling.

Definitely make sure you go to a good one!

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2013

Curious as well... My chiro went to Palmer a Chiro school & graduated at top of her class.

14. Oct 1, 2013

I hope it wasn't weird that this was my "first" post as if I were a spammer. I'm an old time poster that created this name to post about a difficult situation at work, since my regular name would give me a way if my co-workers were to see. I created this name and then forgot I was logged on under this when I posted it! I'm still debating if I want to post about my work situation.

Anyway, I made an appointment for next week. I've had really bad pain in my shoulder blades that has been going up to my neck and down my arms, and my lower back. I feel like one shoulder is constantly a few inches higher than the other.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2013

My chiro also went to a chiropractic college. He's awesome. :thumb:

16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2013

I hope it works well. Be sure to ask Chiro... ice for how long, do you need to apply any heat. Also some will say to take an anti inflammatory to help. Just know you may be a little sore after, but as my chiro told me it's because your muscles have moved to protect your bones, so you are not only aligning your bones, but your muscles as well. I hope that made sense. Some people think like you go and Viola. Not always the case so listen to your after care instructions.

17. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2013

I went to one I high school a man....now I go to my old babysitter. I just feel like she protected me as a kid, she'll do whatever to help me now!! She always says I know your in pain if you're here to see me....LOL!!!

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2013

I go monthly to avoid the pain!

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2013

I know I should go more often.

20. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 1, 2013

They're usually more likely to be covered by insurance and they can do more for you if an issue is more severe. For example, my dad's chiropractor, on occasion, will do cortisone injections.

Also, if they have experience in PT or Sports Medicine, they'll be able to help someone who is recuperating from an injury more effectively.

Another point, much less important, though, is that requirements to be a chiropractor was pretty low - a minimum of 90 college credits with a minimum 2.5 GPA is the standard set by the group that accredits chiropractic colleges, which I find odd.

21. bison

bison Habitué

Oct 2, 2013

I'm too afraid of something going wrong and resulting in a serious/lethal injury! I know it's rare. My SO has had some good experiences and enjoys going when something comes up.

I think there are two kinds of chiropractors. The ones who I think are more standard, and just do the typical adjustments. Then there are the "alternative medicine" types who think that they can cure major issues through adjustments. I went to a consult once where the guy told me he could fix lactose intolerance. Not my cup of tea! I didn't go back for adjustments.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2013

I have no problem with my insurance covering monthly adjustments. My chiro is quite effective with both periodic adjustments, major pain and sports injuries. Know with whom you are dealing.
    Like all professions, there are those who graduated with excellent GPAs and those who barely skimmed by, there are those who are true professionals who keep abreast of current research and best practices and those who don't. There are those who are masters of their craft and those who shouldn't be in the profession.:2cents:

23. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2013

Our insurance will cover as well... but after so many trips. Insurance still sees chiro is like an "alternative" even though in many cases is preventative.

24. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 2, 2013

My chiro has told me to ice for no more than 10 minutes in each region (as needed) with breaks of at least a few hour in between. Ice is for pains such as a crick in the neck and other stuff that just starts hurting as a result of trauma or misuse (sleeping in a bad position and stuff.) I think heat is for more chronic muscle problems and cramping. Double check though. What I got out if it was sore backs need ice; heat would make it worse.

25. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 2, 2013

My dad went to one chiro, insurance stopped covering after like 6 visits because they only cover that much in alternative medicine a year.

Then he went to his current guy who is also sports medicine, and incorporates more... medical science into his treatment methods, which helps with his back problems. Insurance pays for it no problem, even thought it is preventative care. They cover ~30 sessions a year, he goes once a month. If he gets injured, the chiro can order an x-ray or MRI, then insurance will cover it until it goes away without chipping away at the preventative chiro visits.

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2013

I'm glad your dad finds relief thru chiro....the advice with ANY treatment is to check ones coverage. Fortunately with mine (my school district insurance, BCBS), I'm covered and didn't need to jump any hoops or do unnecessary doctor switching...(my insurance also covers acupuncture and other treatments that some insurance may not...good to know for what you are and are not covered)

27. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 3, 2013

In the past two years we've had Amerihealth (just got it yesterday), Aetna (hated it), and Qualcare (best insurance we've ever had)

28. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Oct 3, 2013

This.

I went to a chiropractor that my family had been seeing for years. I guess recently he had crossed over into the "alternative medicine" part of chiropractics, which is fine. I went to him because I had pain between my left shoulder blade and my spine. He asked me if I had been having stomach issues, such as heartburn. :mellow: I was like, "How did you know?" Because I had been having HORRIBLE heartburn episodes as well as the pain. He said the nerves where I was feeling the pain were actually connected to my stomach. So, he adjusted me, and I felt so much better. No pain and no heartburn! This was months ago, and I haven't really had any pain or heartburn since.

HOWEVER, he wanted me to continue to see him ONCE A WEEK :eek: even after I had been fixed. At $10 an appointment, I was like, "Um, no." So, after seeing him three weeks in a row, I feigned a family emergency to get out of the fourth appointment and haven't been back since. :p

So, beware of alternative medicine chiropractors because they will try to convince you to see them weekly or bi-weekly. And that's just more money in their pockets!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  29. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2013

Oh usually heat does make it inflame more but sometimes, they do say that it helps relax muscles. I know Mine says ice as well after being adjusted.

Book... I had a chiro (not on alternative side) that I saw in HS...different than the one I see know) and he said to come back every week as well, sometimes 2 times a week..did it for a couple wks & was like no more!!!

Sometimes they do need to see you a couple times to get you lined back up though. You just have to go with how your feeling as well!!

30. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Oct 3, 2013

Exactly. You are the only one who really knows how you feel at a particular moment in time, so trust your instincts!

31. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Nov 3, 2016

Reviving an old thread, because I'm going to a chiropractor about 6x/month. It is quite a commitment because it is out of network (paying $30/visit, ~$180/month). If it fixes me, it is obviously worth it.

I get tingling and pain in my neck if I walk a long way or deadlift a lot of weight or do a lot of paddling. This guy says my spine and back are out of alignment, and he can literally pop them back into place. He really gives my neck and back a violent cracking! Takes all of 5 minutes.

I see lots of good results on this thread... what were your symptoms that you were trying to fix?

32. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2016

I used to have occasional severe back pain....it would hurt to walk, or raise my arms...every movement you make essentially comes from your back. I go for monthly maintenance and I no longer have those issues.

33. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Nov 3, 2016

Did you ever get it diagnosed by a doctor? I mentioned to my chiro that I was skeptical, partly because my doctor never really gave me an indication that chiropractic was a viable solution to my problem (he said it was epidural or surgery). He told me that (basically) it wasn't in their best interest to refer me to someone who could fix me.

34. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 3, 2016

I've been going to chiropractors for over 15 years off and on. There were many years when I didn't go at all, time frames where I went every few months, or every week.
    I love them, I've had 2 great chiropractors over the years. I've had knee pain where I couldn't walk right and I was in excruciating pain, pinched nerves, general back ache, shoulder pain (i started doing archery last year and practiced 3-4 times a week. At one point I couldn't lift my arm, and I was in so much pain. The chiro simply cracked my arm and everything was good as new)

My current chiro has massage therapists, super low price, the best massage I've had. He prefers you get a massage beforehand, even if it's just 5 minutes (I go for 20-30 minutes) because it loosens you up and it's much easier to adjust you if you're not that stiff. All this is covered under insurance, but I chose the most inexpensive, crappy insurance ($15 / month), so this is out of pocket for me. I don't mind to pay $45 for 30 minute massage and adjustment.
    If I lived closer, I'd go much more often.

35. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2016

When I used to have back pain, doctors would treat the symptoms- pain relievers, rest, etc...
    My chiropractor treats the cause of the problem

John Lee likes this.
  36. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Nov 5, 2016

This is what I'm hoping for, and what he says he's doing (treating the cause). Right now, I'm going 4-6 times a month (which amounts to about $200/month)... and so far, I don't feel dramatically better. I think I'm feeling a little better, after a month?

I just wonder if it is possible, to do what traditional medical doctors (spine experts) don't or won't consider as a primary treatment. It seems too good to be true.

37. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 7, 2016

I need to go back to one for a good all over snap crackle pop. It sure helps me, especially when I get a catch in my getalong (sciatica). I'm bad to get all stiff in my neck and shoulders. That is where I carry my stress and tension.

38. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 7, 2016

I went once over the summer (my first time...I've had neck/shoulder/back pain since I was in high school, but it was a ton worse this summer and a friend of mine has his own place), and it seemed to help at least a little. It did worry me though about the need to go in regularly, and the fact it would likely end up being about $70-75ish total per visit, unless somehow my wife and my health insurance double covered me well enough to cover the copay amounts. Even though right now I could easily swing that amount, when we eventually buy a house, that'd factor in quite a bit more.

39. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Nov 9, 2016

I've been with mine 25 years and he's the best. If you get one you're not comfortable with, try another one!

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  40. amethyst

amethyst Companion

Nov 9, 2016

I go 3x a week for scoliosis! I couldn't stand or walk, otherwise!