Chips, soda, and candy for breakfast daily

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Fletcher, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Fletcher

Fletcher Rookie

Feb 8, 2007

I was reading the thread "Lunch Money" and it made me think of my kids. My students, about 70% of them eat chips, candy, soda, (Candy store goodies) for breakfast everyday, everymorning. For most of the day they are bouncing off the walls. School starts at 9am and lunch is at 11:15am. Whatever they couldn't sneak and eat in class gets eaten then. By the end of the day the sugar high is now a dreary low. What do you do about that? We offer brakfast (POP-TART) and a 4oz orange juice. But most prefer their candy and don't come. You want to take the goodies but their parents instruct them to go to the store and get somethng to eat. Plus for about 8 hour that may be all they get. Is someting better than nothing?

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 11, 2007

Candy store is open that early? Also poptarts is candy to me.

Someone mentioned about keeping a fruit basket in the room. The novelty of being able to decide at will to eat in class may get some takers. Money may be an issue though.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 11, 2007

Pop Tarts and orange juice have as much sugar as candy. Why does the school offer that to them?

5. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Feb 11, 2007

Our school offers breakfast, too. It is sugar cereal (most kids don't even get the milk with it, so it has no nutritional value) or donuts.

For lunch, they can buy doritos or brownies as a snack. I often see them eating 3 or 4 bags of doritos a day! These are elementary kids!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 11, 2007

That is awful. Hasn't anyone complained to the school board?

7. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Feb 11, 2007

I work at a small charter school and they don't care about it. They are only concerned about how much it costs. They won't buy fruit or even granola bars because of the cost.

8. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Feb 11, 2007

School food is horrible now a days...talk about obesity it all starts from school. Between soda machines, candy machines....I have kids come in with a bags of skittles at 8 am!!!!! Everything is fried. I think the schools should have water bottle machines instead of soda....a salad bar..... it's depressing to see kids eating away their years.

9. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Feb 11, 2007

at my school..

The cokes were all taken out of the vending machines and replaced with water or gatorade. Only Jr/Sr high students can use the vending machines. The elementary students can buy water or milk only.

At morning nutrition, elementary can buy cheese sticks, cheese nips, fruit but not chips or candy. There are also hard boiled eggs and yogurt availale. Jr/Sr high can buy the same as well as muffins and soup.

For hot lunch, elementary gets a nutritious lunch. For example, chicken nuggets, yogurt, and fruit. Jr/Sr high students get an a la carte lunch--still no chips or candy!

Do we have an obesity problem at our school? Of course there are some students who need to lose weight but the problem for them is how they eat at home. Also, elementary students get PE 2 times a week for 45 mintes each time. Grades 6-10 get PE every day for an hour---its a core subject for them. An athletes can not opt out.

Personallly, I think no school should be selling soda or candy to its students. But when the big companies pay the schools to sell it, what can you do?

10. Fletcher

Fletcher Rookie

Feb 12, 2007

My problem is not just with the schools, its with the parents who continously send their children to the candy stores each morning for breakfast. As far as the fruit goes, our principal would have a cow if she saw the students eating anything in the classroom. But maybe we could put a large fruit basket in the cafeteria for early breafast and lunch. (Yet another thing out a teachers very thin pockets.) No one complains and children don't know better. As teachers we try to inform them of how they are to eat and instruct them that they are not to go to the candy stores in the morning or that candy is not allowed in the school. However for some children that is all they will get between 7am and 6pm (assuming the parents fix dinner around then)

11. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 12, 2007

Wow. I am in total shock! We have no vending machines at our school and no store! I have kids who try to eat candy at snack time, or "fruit" roll ups or other pure sugar stuff, and I tell them they can eat that after school. Even if it comes from their lunch box I overrule, since it is my class and I am expected to accomplish something - this year's group is especially succeptible to sugar and hyperactivity. I thought there were government rules about having this kind of junk around for kids!

In K and 1st, we started something called class snack. You have to get the parents behind you first by sending home a letter voicing your concerns, that the eating of junk is affecting their learning(of course, put it in a firm but diplomatic way), and they are really hungry during school, wanting actual food. Then everyone can decide if they want to bring class snack, or their own. Each child takes one week to bring snack for the whole class, then parents are off and don't have to think about snack for several weeks!

AT first some parents don't like the idea of someone else choosing snack for their child. But I send a list of "suggestions" - cheese sticks, cheese and crackers, 1/2 sandwich, any kind of pretzels, you get the picture. Most kids want to be part of the class snack and will put the pressure on their parents. So everyone ends up with the same, usually good, snack. I have a snack tote, and keep a list of suggestions in the tote. I had to start doing this because there were always a few kids who had nothing to eat at snack time. Some of the kids were poor and said there was no food at home. But with Wal Mart right down the street for most people, snacks for a whole class can be provided for about 10-15 $$ a week. The real draw is not having to think about snack for X amount of weeks after your turn.

I'm going on and on. It is something I feel so strongly about. People don't understand how hard it is to learn when you don't have good brain food in your tummy!

12. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Feb 12, 2007

We had the same problem in our school to. We made it a school-wide health and science project. (But it could easily be only a class project.)

The students weighed in, and did several physical tests, including tests of strength and a test of speed on a specific long distance run. They also did a test where they had to write a story for one hour to see how long their concentration lasted.

For two days, the kids were only allowed to eat and drink sugars, like candy, soda, cakes etc. for breakfast and lunch. All students ate in school -together. They were tested again after this. And analyzed their findings and compared to what they allready had thought or knew.

The results were compared to the results they got after two days of healthy foods. We got financial support for healthy breakfast and lunch for two days as well (Eaten together in the classroom). Vegetables, bread with much fiber, fruit etc.

The results were clear to the students and they understood the effect food has to their bodies, health, concentration etc. :D

After this we got most of the kids and their parents to sign up for a breakfast at school-program, where the kids eat breakfast together every morning, oatmeal porridge. (No sugar, only mashed fresh fruits if they wish.)

13. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Feb 13, 2007

Our cafeteria serves sugary cereals which the kids drown in chocolate milk or cinnamon buns that have that white pure sugar syrup all over them. It's really sad, about have of my kids gets this "breakfast" free and their parents couldn't afford to feed them healthy if the government didn't pay for this junk. Something needs to happen in this country about school lunches, they are teaching our kids to make bad health choices for life. No wonder this is the fattest country in the world!

I will say, though, that something is better than nothing. Last year I had two students who I'm pretty sure ate breakfast and lunch at school and those were the only meals they got during the week. If their bus was late we'd try to find them food from the faculty because they would be starving. But that doesn't excuse what they are feeding the kids.

14. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Feb 13, 2007

My daughter's first grade teacher had a small plastic cup for each child which was kept in their desk. Each morning, she gave each child cereal (no milk added) in their cup that they could eat while they did their morning activities. I know she paid for this out of her own pocket, and I am sure there were crumbs, but I know most of the kids ate the cereal, and then she was sure each child had something to eat in the morning.

15. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Feb 13, 2007

I really like that idea! I am going to attempt that with my class...

16. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Feb 13, 2007

Apples

A fellow teacher down brought in a large bowl and filled it with apples from his apple trees during the fall. This provided his kids with something nutritious to eat. I only wish that I had an apple tree in my yard…

17. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 14, 2007

Could you take your class to the apple orchard & pick apples for the classroom? My family usually goes to the orchard at least once each fall; when the apples start to go soft I take them to school & we make applesauce (with NO sugar). Some kids love it & others think it's too lumpy!

18. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 14, 2007

deserttrump,

I realized after I posted that you teach high school. Tie the applesauce into your subject area i.e. write about the process of making applesauce, the taste, etc. Math/science have students follow a recipe to make the applesauce, graph, weigh measure etc.

Just remember they eat what they make!

19. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Feb 14, 2007

I know that you probably think its the parents getting the kids to eat junk food, but don't you think that they would probably prefer their kids eat better (and maybe the kids tell them they eat better) ~~Yes I know some parents don't even care! Maybe the school needs to rethink what it serves in the snack shop.

maybe its time to re-introduce the food groups and talk about healthy choices. Because I think most parents don't.

Don't ya all get mad with my response, I'm a homeschool teacher, but its a pretty big thing to me, because there may be a day when I have to send my kids to school and I wouldn't want them to be able to buy pop and chips with money intended for breakfast. I'm kind of lucky, but just last week I was complaining to my DH (he does the grocery shopping) that the kids were eating all MY cereal and leaving the fruit loops and other sugar cereal alone. (he got 4 boxes of MY kind of cereal for all of us)

20. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2007

They have changed a ton of the nutritional guidlines here- students have fruit w/ lunch everyday, and only have milk as a choice to drink (wish they would offer water). We have snack time in my room, and they usually bring their fruit to eat as a snack (or something healthy from home. They also can keep a water bottle on their desk.