Chipotle

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Jul 2, 2013.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 2, 2013

I don't eat out too often, but there's one place I do frequent when I'm craving something yummy: Chipotle.

The closest Chipotle restaurant is about 40 minutes away from me, so I only go there a few (2-3) times per month.

I love the fact that they use meat from animals that weren't raised with hormones and antibiotics. They also use organic and local produce!

It's even totally safe (and healthy) for my four-year-old nephew to eat there (he has a severe peanut allergy).

I believe they have a vegan option, too (for my AtoZ friend who's vegan)! :cool:

No...I didn't get paid to write this! :lol:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2013

I can't imagine driving 40 minutes to get chain restaurant food several times a month....glad you enjoy it though!

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2013

We have a Chipotle just down the street. I loooooove it but my hoosband takes some convincing. :)

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2013

Good to know! :)

I don't know if I've seen one before, but I'm sure they're in one of the big cities. Might need to give them a try!

6. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Jul 2, 2013

I've only had it once, and it was delicious. If there was one closer to where I work I would go again.

7. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 2, 2013

I love Chipotle. There is one in the nearest small city where I go for shopping, movies, doctor visits, etc. I eat there fairly often when I'm in town. Yum!!

I was recently in a bigger city and discovered Qdoba (I think that's how it was spelled) which is the same concept, but may have been even better than Chipotle.

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 2, 2013

I love Chipotle! They are all over town. My husband doesn't like it, so I get it when he is out of town or we have good left-overs (he likes left-overs, but I don't).

9. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 2, 2013

I love Chipotle! We have them all over... Its very dangerous ;)

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2013

I've never been to one. I'm not much of a meat eater when I cook myself, and I never eat beef, pork, or chicken at restaurants. Someone suggested I try Chipotle, but the closest one is 50 miles away.

11. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 2, 2013

Oh Chipotle, how I love you. I would drive many, many miles for your rice-pinto bean-chicken-pico-cheese-sour cream-guacamole burrito. Even though you are way too many calories. :)

12. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2013

I've never had it.

13. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 2, 2013

As much as I love Chipotle, Qdoba has a delish cheese sauce which is great on their chicken burrito. Plus, they have chalula (sp?) hot sauce, which is my favorite. Chipotle wins on chicken, guacamole and tortillas.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2013

Chain restaurant or not, some things are just that good! :)

15. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 2, 2013

Very dangerous. The burrito I get is over a days worth of calories... But worth it for a treat.

16. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 2, 2013

Omg Chipotle is sooooooo good. I could eat there several times a week if fiance (and my wallet) would allow me. My favorite thing is the lime rice. What stinks is they always skimp on the rice. I used to ask for an extra side and they would fill an entire container with it, then they got wise on me and started giving me a small container like what the dressing comes in. :lol:

Otherwise it's delicious

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2013

I'm getting a major craving for Chipotle now! Grrr!

I usually get either the carnitas or barbacoa. Sometimes I go for the big burrito, but most of the time I get the crispy tacos. I get a little bit of rice and pintos (not as much as they normally use), corn salsa, lettuce, cheese, and guacamole. YUM!!

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 2, 2013

My vegan friends love having that option. However, I think they use soy oil in their cooking, which makes it impossible for Rockhubby to eat there. I'll splurge and go solo on occasion.

19. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 2, 2013

One just opened right down the street from me. I haven't been there yet, but I have heard good reviews!

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 2, 2013

I was going to say we don't have any around here but I looked it up and it says "Coming Soon" not too far away. I might get to check it out someday!

21. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 2, 2013

I love Chipotle!! We usually have to drive 15 minutes to the closest one, but they are building one right down the street! Husband keeps asking if they are open yet. So yummy!!

22. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2013

I had chipotle for dinner tonight! I love that place. When I lived in the mountains the closest one was about 45-50 minutes, also next to the closest Target and a few other stores we didn't have. I went down there about every other month or so. Now I have one right down the street! I go about once a week. If I'm being really healthy I'll get the bowl with brown rice, chicken, two salsas, and guac. Tonight I got soft tacos with chicken, sour cream and cheese. Not that healthy but significantly less calories than the burrito!

I love the three cheese nachos at qdoba without meat. I don't like whatever spices they put on their meat. Obviously those have to be a rare treat because they are terrible for you!

23. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 2, 2013

I also love that they also offer free burritos during Teacher Appreciation week.:D

24. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 2, 2013

I have never heard of Chipotle...

25. monsieurteacher

Jul 2, 2013

I just went to see if there were any where I lived... this cracked me up:

We're Sorry!
    No Chipotle locations found within 100 miles of [insert my postal code here]
    Search again with another city, state or zip code. Or move.

26. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2013

There are only seven of these in my state and none are close by, but this sparked some research and then interest, so my husband and I are going this weekend! Got a couple things I need to take care of in the big city anyhow. :)

Looks yummy!

27. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2013

:lol::lol::lol:

28. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Jul 2, 2013

I totally just are there for lunch today!

I am completely on board the Chipotle bandwagon. Whenever I don't feel like cooking I ask my husband, "You know what we should get for dinner?" and he answers, "Chipotle" without missing a beat.

My normal order is 3 carnitas soft tacos with mild salsa, corn salsa, cheese, sour cream, and guac. Their guac is heaven!!!

29. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 2, 2013

:lol: I don't think there are any in Canada. I only know about it because I taught in Georgia for a few years. The closest thing that I found is Mucho Burrito -- but it is not Chipotle.

30. monsieurteacher

Jul 3, 2013

There is at least one in Toronto... I was googling :lol:

31. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2013

I love Chipotle! I had it a couple times in college, and then when I moved there were none anywhere close to me. A couple years ago one opened up in the larger town 20 minutes away (where we go for any shopping other than Wal-Mart or the grocery store). I happened to be in town on my birthday and was so excited to stop there. But when I pulled into the parking lot, I discovered that it wasn't open yet. :( (They must have been training employees--there were tons of cars in the parking lot and all the lights were on.)

Now my shopping trips may be planned so they coincide with a need to stop for a meal... :whistle:

32. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 3, 2013

I've gone a few times and I like it, but don't love it. We have another smaller chain close by called Mesa Fresh Mex which I prefer. Actually not sure they're a chain, I think they just have 2-3 locations here in my area of PA. The bigger issue with going out for Mexican, as my husband has pointed out, the guacamole I make at home (or my dad makes when he visits) is so good it just makes other places not taste as good. He says I've destroyed enjoying all other guacamole for him :). I'm planning on making some today as well as veggie fajitas. Yum!

33. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 3, 2013

Planning shopping around food sounds good to me amak :) !

34. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2013

I love Chipotle! I also love that one bowl is about three or four meals for me. We only get it once in awhile since it lasts so long.

I also love, love, love that it is one of the few Mexican-style places that do not cook their meats WITH the bell peppers, meaning I can actually eat it!

35. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 3, 2013

Okay, forgive this silly question:

Is the food there terribly spicy? Or are there some mild choices on the menu? :)

Or what item from their menu would you suggest for somebody whose stomach prefers mild over spicy? :)

36. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 3, 2013

Ted - the meat is marinated, but I don't find it spicy. You have several choices of salsa and I pick the mild.

Someone mentioned rice - my daughter just asks for extra on her burrito or bowl, and they are happy to pile it on.

I always get two meals out of my bowl.

Hungry!

37. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 3, 2013

I really preferred Baja Fresh over Chipotle, but they pulled their shops from our region. Boo. That being said, there are so many amazing taco trucks (which are health inspected just like restaurants) that we usually go to one of them instead.

38. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 3, 2013

Thanks for answering, Missy. :)

Well, then maybe I'll give it a try. I'll do it at lunch so I have the rest of the day to deal with any possible negative "side effects". ;)

I'll look forward to sampling their menu!

39. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

YoungTeacherGuy, I'm not liking you right now!!!!! Now I have a hankering for Chipotle. I like my burrito stuffed with fattening things. I've been trying to be good.

40. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2013

None here, although I'll have to look up where the Toronto location is, but Lauren is going through major Chipotle withdrawal right now--she eats there at least once a week when she's at school.

41. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 3, 2013

I love Chipotle too! I live in one of the 3 hearts of my city & I have a Chipotle right across the street from me, plus 2 others within 12 minutes or less.

I also have a Qdoba about 20 minutes away, which is very similar, but doesn't quite taste as good.

I agree!