Chinese New Year

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MNTeacher, Feb 5, 2008.

1. MNTeacher

MNTeacher Rookie

Feb 5, 2008

Anyone celebrate/discuss the Chinese New Year in class? I am wondering what you do to celebrate or talk about? Any good websites to help?

Thank you!

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Feb 5, 2008

We are going to make wishes for the new year on red paper and string them up. I will probably also read a story.

4. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Feb 5, 2008

We are going to talk about their animal and chinese "horoscope." Then we will make a lantern, watch a United Streaming clip of a dragon parade, and maybe make some wishes (chinese symbols) to be put on a bulletin display. For 3/4 grade, Enchanted Learning has a "book" with all sorts of information. I looked stuff up last night, and I didn't find too many useful sites either.

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 5, 2008

We are making the red envelopes (lay see) , and putting good luck symbols in them. We discuss the zodiac and they learn about their sign. This year I have snakes and horses. I have a CD of CHinese music which I play when we enjoy a Chinese Lunch that is being catered in by a local Chinese Restaurant. I am also getting chopsticks for all the children. I will be giving them a lesson on eating with them. We are making dragons for a parade and Chinese lanterns to hang up in the classroom. It is a very fun day in our Kindergarten classroom. "Gung Hay Fat Choy" :)

6. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Feb 6, 2008

Oh my gosh- that sounds so fun. I love Chinese culture.

I wish I was in your class... ;)

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 6, 2008

Awwwwww, thanks!! It is one of the highlights of the kindergarten year. I always have so many previous students tell me how much they loved that day.....and wish they could come in and celebrate with us again.

8. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Feb 6, 2008

We are reading a story and making lanterns.
    I also have a math sheet with Chinese numbers on them. It sholud be interesting to see them add in a different language!