China theme

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bored of Ed, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2008

Please help me brainstorm!
    We're doing around the world. China is next, and I have to come up with a plan quickly -- I'm bogged down with college work so I'm not ahead as I'd like to be.

Also, I like to start each country by teaching the words for hello, goodbye, thank you, and sometimes another easy, handy word. For some reason, I'm having an impossible time finding Chinese online with a pronunciation guide or recording. (other languages were quite available) If you know any Chinese, can you please help me out?

[reminder -- this is for 12-year-old boys who don't read on a functional level yet and have limited skills in other areas]

3. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2008

Here are some of my ideas so far:
    * Color the flag
    * Map skills based on map of China
    * Make paper lanterns (following directions)
    * Literature: The Empty Pot
    * Tangrams (spatial awareness, geometry)
    * Cook rice (looking for a more interesting recipe too, I like to make and send home the recipe for one food from each country)
    * More literature: Ping (if I can find it. I haven't seen it since I was about 5)
    * They say the Chinese invented the toothbrush; I'm considering using this as an opportunity to teach dental hygiene -- though some of the kids may feel that it's insultingly babyish, I have one kid who obviously does not have any training in this area and I have recently noticed a developing breath problem :(
    * Still more literature /math: One Grain of Rice (might be Japanese, I don't remember -- but who cares, we just did the 2x table)

Half-baked ideas-- need help:
    * Something about the Gobi desert -- ???
    * Something about the Himalayas --- ???
    * Endangered species --- something...???
    * Paper making -- HOW? (least mess possible)
    * Something about the Great Wall -- ???

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 27, 2008

The toothbrush as we know it today was not invented until 1938. However, early forms of the toothbrush have been in existence since 3000 BC. Ancient civilizations used a "chew stick," which was a thin twig with a frayed end. These 'chew sticks' were rubbed against the teeth.

The bristle toothbrush, similar to the type used today, was not invented until 1498 in China. The bristles were actually the stiff, coarse hairs taken from the back of a hog's neck and attached to handles made of bone or bamboo.

Boar bristles were used until 1938, when nylon bristles were introduced by Dupont de Nemours. The first nylon toothbrush was called Doctor West's Miracle Toothbrush. Later, Americans were influenced by the disciplined hygiene habits of soldiers from World War II. They became increasingly concerned with the practice of good oral hygiene and quickly adopted the nylon toothbrush.

Some other interesting toothbrush facts:

The first mass-produced toothbrush was made by William Addis of Clerkenwald, England, around 1780.
    The first American to patent a toothbrush was H. N. Wadsworth, (patent number 18,653,) on Nov. 7, 1857.
    Mass production of toothbrushes began in America around 1885.
    One of the first electric toothbrushes to hit the American market was in 1960. It was marketed by the Squibb company under the name Broxodent.

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 27, 2008

One Grain of Rice is a folktale from India.

A Grain of Rice is a folktale from China.

I think the second book is the one you want.

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 27, 2008

English: Hello My name is
    Chinese: Ni hao Wo-duh ming-d'zih
    Pronunciation: Nee HaOW Woh teh ming tsuh

Did You Know You Were Speaking Chinese
    Words in English from the Chinese language:

tea tycoon kowtow
    ping pong gung ho ginseng
    wok shaman gingko

8. foxgallagher

foxgallagher Rookie

Mar 28, 2008

I don't know if this will help you out, but our school just had a whole China-themed March is Reading Month shindig. We built a great wall of reading to meet the reading goal (each "brick" was one book red). Also, we had a family night and the other student teachers in the building and I did crafts with the students. You can make paper dragons or your own paper fortune cookies. As a writing activity, have them right their own fortunes.

Hope that gave you some ideas!

9. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Mar 28, 2008

endangered animal...panda

10. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Mar 28, 2008