Child's Anxiety about school

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeachinHicks, Aug 24, 2009.

1. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 24, 2009

Okay...so my daughter is 8 and in 3rd grade. She goes to the my school and is right down the hall from me. This is our 2nd year doing this, and last year went great. This year... oh what a different story. She's really upset and not wanting to go to school. Today she got so upset she got sick and my husband had to come and get her. I've tried talking to her and she tells me she misses me, which I understand, but we spend the evenings together and the weekends. I talked to her teacher this afternoon and no one is picking on her that she knew of. I'm at a loss, and I don't know what to do. She usually loves school and does pretty well. This is the first year that she'll have to take the end of grade tests, and I'm sure that is weighing in on her, but I've tried explaining that the test isn't until May and she's got all year to learn everything she needs to know.

Anybody have ideas on how I can help her get over this anxiety??? Thanks in advance!:help::help::help:

3. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Aug 24, 2009

I totally feel for you. If the teacher is willing, maybe there could be a time during the day (after her lunch break on her way back to class) when she could stop in for a "mommy fix" and get a hug. My oldest daughter and my K daughter never really have acknowledged me at school too much, but my third grader depends on knowing that I'm in the building. She does really well with her class most of the time, but once in a while she'll just have an off day. Her teacher sent her a couple of times last year with notes for me that just said "needs a hug from mom". Just the reassurance that her teacher understood and that she had that available if she needed it was usually enough for her.