Children's questions

Discussion in 'General Education' started by stephenpe, Feb 12, 2014.

1. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2014

Third grade class at PE yesterday. Girls walk up and one asks, "Do you have time to talk about Jesus Christ" So I have to think a minute and explain I cannot really discuss religion with them but they say "Miss so and so does. Then I reply we can talk about it but I cannot tell them what to believe. Then they start with 'Do you believe in Jesus, do you go to church etc. They crack me up sometimes. I live in a very Baptist oriented area. All I told them was that native Americans sometimes refer to God as Grandfather.:dizzy:

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 12, 2014

Hahaha. That was a good answer, Stephen.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2014

I have so many kids run up and tell me they got saved...they are always so excited!

5. AliLand

AliLand Rookie

Feb 15, 2014

As I live in Greece, almost all kids are orthodox. Its nice for me that there not usually questioning - until Easter. Every year I spend the week before Easter fielding questions. For some, I'm the first non orthodox person they know well so of course they are curious. I'm totally comfy saying I'm Christian, but I don't think its wise for teachers to discuss things such things without knowing some guidelines. With older children I turn the talk around to sharing what we know about other religions (we are on the Turkish border so they can usually name important Muslim celebrations).
    Being all the same, they don't really question it much though and I soon came to understand what the kids really want to know when they ask about Easter is - what's for dinner.

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 15, 2014

So glad I don't have to deal with this type of stuff. I have some kids that wear religion on their sleeve, but none of them ever ask me about it.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 15, 2014

I dread when students ask me about religion. So many of my students are very strict Christians, and I don't know if their perception of me would change if they knew I'm Jewish. So far, they accept my response, "I don't discuss religion, politics, or UFOs." Well, no UFOs unless we count the Tardis in Doctor Who, but that's because one of my students is a sci-fi fanatic. :whistle:

8. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 15, 2014

That is funny! :lol:

9. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Feb 15, 2014

Ugh- ditto. That's the nice thing about high school. I can shut those kinds of conversation down quickly and strictly. I'd really struggle to deal with little kids who don't understand appropriate topics of discussion.

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 15, 2014

Religion is an appropriate topic of discussion. The key is for the teacher to stay neutral. My grade 1s bring it up all the time - it's great opportunity to discuss how everyone believes different things and we need to be respectful even if someone disagrees with you.